Thread: Djembes wood or Synthetic

User Info Menu

Default Djembes wood or Synthetic

Hi everyone after searching for the best Djembe drum I came to the conclusion that I may get a Remo synthetic Djembe. I read that most pro use synthethic Djembes cause they are easier to tune and hold the tune no matter the change in temperatures. The rope and goat skin need frequent tuning because of the humidity etc. So I would like to hear from you guys who have experience with both.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Djembes wood or Synthetic

What are you wanting to do with this djembe? Are you using it as an add on auxillary to a drumset? Are you wanting a hand drum to mess around with at drum circles and campouts? Are you wanting to gig with it in a non-tratitional band? Or are you seriously interested in learning traditional west african djembe?

Unless your intentions are the later, I would say the Remo will do you just fine. They are definitely a lot easier to tune, traditional rope tuning is a tough thing to get good at. If you are interested in playing traditional african djembe stuff then I would suggest a real wood/ rope tuned drum from west africa, and be ready to spend a bit of money on a quality instrument.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Djembes wood or Synthetic

Couldn't say it better myself, Gretschhead! Great job bro'!

One additional note, though: If you're playin' the djembe between your knees, be advised some of the non-wooden finishes can get slippery...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Djembes wood or Synthetic

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    What are you wanting to do with this djembe? Are you using it as an add on auxillary to a drumset? Are you wanting a hand drum to mess around with at drum circles and campouts? Are you wanting to gig with it in a non-tratitional band? Or are you seriously interested in learning traditional west african djembe?

Unless your intentions are the later, I would say the Remo will do you just fine. They are definitely a lot easier to tune, traditional rope tuning is a tough thing to get good at. If you are interested in playing traditional african djembe stuff then I would suggest a real wood/ rope tuned drum from west africa, and be ready to spend a bit of money on a quality instrument.
    Hi Gretschhead to answer I am not looking into playing in drum circles or as an addition to my kit or to become a pro. This is just for my own pleasure of playing hand drums. When I buy something I make sure it is of good quality that is just me I don't like to spend money on something that I will regret later and say I should of bought this one or that one. Synthetic to me sound like the right choice because of the tuning part which I have knowledge from my kit with the hoops etc. This rope tuning looks complicated so this scares me in a way. Thanks for you input as usual you are the man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Couldn't say it better myself, Gretschhead! Great job bro'!

One additional note, though: If you're playin' the djembe between your knees, be advised some of the non-wooden finishes can get slippery...
    Great point Bro, as most players do tend to play seated with the drum between the legs. I know some of the bigger companies are making fiberglass models, which can be very slick. Make sure to sit down with a drum for a few minutes before you buy and make sure it is comfortable to play, I can imagine that fighting to keep the drum in between your legs would make playing quite difficult and frustrating. Another plus side of the rope tuned drums, the rope net adds a nice grip for your knees.

User Info Menu

Question Re: Djembes wood or Synthetic

Great point Bro, as most players do tend to play seated with the drum between the legs. I know some of the bigger companies are making fiberglass models, which can be very slick. Make sure to sit down with a drum for a few minutes before you buy and make sure it is comfortable to play, I can imagine that fighting to keep the drum in between your legs would make playing quite difficult and frustrating. Another plus side of the rope tuned drums, the rope net adds a nice grip for your knees.
    Does that mean if someone as a gut they should probably get a stand. Cause I got a gut will it be hard trying to play and keep the drum between my legs:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Does that mean if someone as a gut they should probably get a stand. Cause I got a gut will it be hard trying to play and keep the drum between my legs:
    Nah, I got a gut as well, I don't ever have any problems. I find stands to just get in the way and limit your positioning of the drum, not practical in hand drumming in my opinion, unless you have a full multi percussion setup of course.

User Info Menu

many djembe players will use a waist strap when they are sitting down to play. Really simple to make or find around the house.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Djembes wood or Synthetic

Nah, I got a gut as well, I don't ever have any problems. I find stands to just get in the way and limit your positioning of the drum, not practical in hand drumming in my opinion, unless you have a full multi percussion setup of course.
    Thanks buddy it is nice to know that I am not the only one with a gut on this site LOL. Then I am definetly looking into getting a Djembe before Xmas thanks

User Info Menu

If for your own pleasure, then I suggst you find a way to check out the sound of both styles, and buy what you enjoy the most. Period!

Rope tuning is not really all that complicated, unless you are going to re-head a drum. Also, the natural head will shift in tune some, where a synthetic will not so much, but if you plan to play at home in a consistent environment, a natural skin will be pretty stable. There is a significant difference in sound from natural materials vs synthetic.

Just shop around in person as much as possible, and find one with the right size, shape, and sound to please you... the best approach for your specified application.