Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DW Performance, win or fail?

User Info Menu

Default DW Performance, win or fail?

well i just went on their website and saw the new performance set, basically to me its a pdp with DW in it, so now whats with pdp? I think it was a bad idea,IMO, i would have preferred the DW's staying custom drums and shoudlnt cheapen up but if you really want something for its name with an afforable price, meh... well what do you guys think?

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Performance, win or fail?

There is already a thread on this subject. Lots of opinions posted.

User Info Menu

They are different than the PDP's, not that that is good or bad. I personally think it was a good move for DW. Does it cheapen Pearl, Yamaha, Tama, Sonor, ETC... because they have lower line kits with their name on them? I think DW should have done this a long time ago. Now, if they put out a $500 cheapo kit, I think that would be a bad idea.
    DW Collector's Series ~ Zildjian cymbals

User Info Menu

Tbh i think PDP platinums look better.
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

I think it's just another slick marketing scheme by DW.

User Info Menu

I see no problem with it.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    i see no problem with it.
    +1
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't call it a marketing scheme. It's an opportunity to sell drums at a lower price point, while keeping the DW brand associated with the new product.

Oh wait, I guess that is a marketing scheme. Primarily because of their affiliation with PDP. If that didn't exist, then I would say this was long overdue. However, PDP does exist for the purpose of catering to mid-range pricing. So this is definitely a confusing strategy for me. In my mind, don't they risk cannibalizing sales of PDP's?
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

All they are is modified DW's in the long run. Smaller lugs, different shell, basic(but proven) finishes, lower price. Seems like a good deal to me.
    Last edited by Russ; 10-12-2010 at 06:03 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

they can do what they want
    i am a mapex guy

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by riouel View Post
    they can do what they want
    i am a mapex guy
    lol!
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

WIN!
    i played some next to a maple collectors with no re-rings. they sounded....well....not different enough lol
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IfSabianWasCheap View Post
    well i just went on their website and saw the new performance set, basically to me its a pdp with DW in it, so now whats with pdp? I think it was a bad idea,IMO, i would have preferred the DW's staying custom drums and shoudlnt cheapen up but if you really want something for its name with an afforable price, meh... well what do you guys think?
    I see your point.. except for the completely different shell construction, totally different lugs, different heads, and different finishes... why it's just a PDP

I actually like the idea.. it's pretty much the same as Gretsch making the Renown series for those of us who want a high quality kit without the USA Custom pricing
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davewilson View Post

I actually like the idea.. it's pretty much the same as Gretsch making the Renown series for those of us who want a high quality kit without the USA Custom pricing
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

I'm game.

User Info Menu

DW has been trying for years to get a mid priced semi professional kit. It started back in the late 90's early 2000's with the "Workshop" series kit. That was a 6 ply tom shell with no re-rings and had what is now the lugs used on all the PDP kits.

I think the Platinum kits sound great but the pop cast tube lugs look cheap. I also think if I was going to shell out somewhere around $1500 for a kit I might look for a used Collectors Series kits rather than a Platinum Series kit.

Now down to the performance series kits- I think this is finally the right move for DW to offer a good quality mid level kit. It has a new designed shell that will be built in there Encinada Mx. plant. But the scaled down Turret DW lug will finally give credit to the price they will be asking for it. Pretty much these are the same price point of the Platinum series maybe a little more.
    It also gives the hobbyist or weekend warrior a chance to own a DW without spending $2500- $5000 on a shell kit.
    I am waiting for the store I teach at to get there first one next week. I think it's already sold to one of my students who has been saving for a collectors kit for a year now. He's excited that he has a cheaper alternative as he wasn't too excited to spend $4000.00 on a shell pack. I asked him about the Platinum series as an alternative to getting a Custom DW, There have been 4 Platinum kits for sale for two years at the store, he wasn't sold on the Platinums said "They sound good but look cheap"
    I think this new series will be the end of the Platinum series.
    "The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDrum View Post
    It also gives the hobbyist or weekend warrior a chance to own a DW without spending $2500- $5000 on a shell kit.
    Great point! The closest I can get at this point in my life was a used Pearl SBX kit that came with better tom mounts and lugs and spurs than what you can buy today at the same price point. If my weekend band takes off to a point where I can get a decent return on investment on the used gear I have purchased, this kit would be in my sights:

Huge investment on my part but well worth the wait. If I'm going DW....I'm going above the Performance line and reach high like what this kit says.
    Last edited by late8; 10-14-2010 at 11:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Great point! The closest I can get at this point in my life was a used Pearl SBX kit that came with better tom mounts and lugs and spurs than what you can buy today at the same price point. If my weekend band takes off to a point where I can get a decent return on investment on the used gear I have purchased, this kit would be in my sights:
    Hey late8... is that a price tag on the cymbal stand over the 2nd floor tom? If you zoom in, you can see the cost of the kit!

Set your sights man... that's a beautiful kit!

User Info Menu

^That's awesome!

User Info Menu

It's kinda funny. I've read a ton of comments now all over the net at different websites. So far from what I have read the people that say the Performance Series drums are just crappy rebranded PDP's did not mention that they have actually ever even seen one in real life much less played one. On the other hand the few people that have stated they have actually seen them first hand, and played them, say they are indeed real DW's and definitely not rebranded PDP's.

I'm gonna go with the opinions of that second group and not the 'speculators'.

User Info Menu

remember DW is a company not in it for your approval to make money. this is a company wanting to make profit, if this is the way they want to do it, im all for them.

above can be used for ANY type of company. even nike or sony.

User Info Menu

I find all of the "speculators" comments so ubsurd anyway. What differance does it make if DW chose to rebrand PDPs and change the lugs and call them performance series etc. My PDP LXs are almost 8 years old and sound incrediable. I would put them up against collectors series and have done so on numerous occasions. I have spoken of doing this on this forum in the past. A close friend of mine has a collectors kit and that is one of the reasons I purchased the kit I have is because of the sound of his drums. I wanted drums that were as close as i could get and still stay within the budget that was exceptable to my wife and family to spend on my selfish hobby. From a sound stand point there is little to no difference. I find the sure snobery surrounding this topic on here and other forums unbelievable. I only seem to find these comments when it comes to DW products. I have not heard anyone say anything like what has been said about DW with other brands like say Sonor. The 3007s are made in Asia and no one compares them negatively with the german made SQ2's. Yet the 3007s are great drums made in the same factory as mapex's and share the same shells as the Pro Ms or what ever kit mapex has out now in that price point and are marketed to fill the same price point as are PDP's and the DW performance series kits. Yet I have never heard Sonor bashed or anyone taking exception to Sonor's motives for marketing their kits. Why is DW the exception? I don't get it!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I find all of the "speculators" comments so ubsurd anyway. What differance does it make if DW chose to rebrand PDPs and change the lugs and call them performance series etc. My PDP LXs are almost 8 years old and sound incrediable. I would put them up against collectors series and have done so on numerous occasions. I have spoken of doing this on this forum in the past. A close friend of mine has a collectors kit and that is one of the reasons I purchased the kit I have is because of the sound of his drums. I wanted drums that were as close as i could get and still stay within the budget that was exceptable to my wife and family to spend on my selfish hobby. From a sound stand point there is little to no difference. I find the sure snobery surrounding this topic on here and other forums unbelievable. I only seem to find these comments when it comes to DW products. I have not heard anyone say anything like what has been said about DW with other brands like say Sonor. The 3007s are made in Asia and no one compares them negatively with the german made SQ2's. Yet the 3007s are great drums made in the same factory as mapex's and share the same shells as the Pro Ms or what ever kit mapex has out now in that price point and are marketed to fill the same price point as are PDP's and the DW performance series kits. Yet I have never heard Sonor bashed or anyone taking exception to Sonor's motives for marketing their kits. Why is DW the exception? I don't get it!!!
    I agree with yoou except to say that while the SONOR 3007 line is made by the same company as the MAPEX MERDIAN, the shells are made differently. Quite possibly from the same wood source though. See my sig...

User Info Menu

I think the main reason DW takes such a beating in the forums is that they have set the standards of how they are viewed by drummers very high. They are the biggest U.S. custom drum company on the market. Always seem to be an innovator of new shell and hardware design and have been priced out of the average drummers price point for years.

DW has always ran their company as if they were a better company. So the introduction of a mid level DW branded kit has all the Collectors owners saying "WTF" and all the haters saying "I told you they would just rebrand their cruddy Pacific line".. "Haters be Hating"

Most drummers that either can't afford them or hold loyalty to another brand tend to cast a negative light on them. Which is something I have a hard time understanding. Hell, I'll play Gretsch,Tama, Pearl,Sonor,Mapex etc. etc. if they have good sound and hold up to how I expect a drumkit to perform. I was lucky enough to buy a Collectors kit in the mid 90's and to this day use it for everything.

As far as the PDP line goes, it's one of the better values in that price range on the market. I know our Drum store owner says he has the least amount of problems solving DW and PDP warranty and repair issues because they will actually call you back and stand behind their product.
    I'm still looking forward to playing this new line, i think it will be an Epic Win
    "The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time"

User Info Menu

Ok... so I go into my local GC again to pick up some sticks and whatnot. While checking out, I ask the guy if they know when they will be getting a Performance Series Kit. Before he could answer, the other guy at the counter stated "We have one in, it's in the back still in the box. Let's go open it." I am like... sure!!

I hang out while these guys bring it out and unbox it. I took pics using my phone and they don't do justice.

First out was the snare. 14X6.5. It was tuned a little low right out of the box, but with a few turns with a key, it started coming alive!! Very nice!!

Can't attach all my pics... continued below...