Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newb with $1500 budget

User Info Menu

Default Newb with $1500 budget

I am a complete newb looking to get an acoustic set for myself and my 9 year old daughter who is also a newb.

So with a budget of $1500 and considering I am going to need everything (shells, hardware, cymbals, throne, etc), what would you recomend I get?

I was looking at the Mapex Meridian Maple set, but I am not sure if that will leave me enough room for cymbals and throne.

Also, I would prefer to buy new simply becasue as a newb I don't know if I could tell the difference between a gently used set and a warped piece of junk.

Thanks,
    Todd

User Info Menu

Default Re: Newb with $1500 budget

s72, whether its new or used, if you have not done your research on what you want, you will get jipped. You can get a really nice USED set (eg., Gretsch, Sonor, Yamaha) that includes shells, hardware, and cymbals for a little over $1k. Good luck !

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Todd! How cool that you and your daughter can enjoy the drumming journey together!

The Mapex Meridian kit is a good intermediate kit, so just educate yourself as to whether your ears prefer a birch, or maple shell (I personally prefer the warmer sound of the maple shells). I would also recommend looking into the Gretsch Catalina series - birch, ash, or maple shells are available. Again, it is a very good intermediate kit that will allow for you to get your cymbals and hardware. There are also other good intermediate kits, like the Tama Superstar series, and Pearl has some good kits too. There are others around here that can give you better input on those.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

thats a very high budget for a newb

User Info Menu

Lucky newb... Ahem. Anyways... you can get some really good quality four piece kits for half of your budget. What kinda kit you looking at, simple four piece or something more?

Or do you know what a four piece is?
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

I have to agree with Nio. If you can get a used kit from a reputable store you could easily get a good mid-level kit with decent cymbals for much less than your budget. You also risk less because if you decide to sell them they won't really lose value.

You can use Ebay for research in terms of pricing, but still buy them from a store (so there is a return policy, etc...).

If you can find a store that's trustworthy (if you tell us where you live most likely there's a DC member there), buying lightly used will get you much more for your $ in terms of drums and cymbals.

If you are set on buying new, your budget is pretty high for starting out, so you don't have to go with starter kits (Tama Imperialstar, Pearl Sound Check, Gretsch Blackhawk). The included cymbals on those kits aren't so hot.

If you are going new, try to go to a store and check different models from the big names, Gretsch, Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Mapex, Sonor, Ludwig. In terms of cymbals there are also tons of options. If you can find a store that sells Dream cymbals that you can check out, they are a newer brand that gives you amazing bang for the buck. Another option is Sabian XS20. The lowest end stuff to get is Sabian B8/Zildjian ZHT.

Good luck and keep us posted! We love to live vicariously through others.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Thanks for help everyone.

I live in Nashville so there are three major stores that I am aware of.

User Info Menu

Ah, you are indeed a fortunate soul! Living in Music City certainly has certain advantages. I am near there too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

I would go for something a bit cheaper only because you don't know if shes going to keep drumming after a year or 2 pawn shops are a good choice you can call them and see what they have in with out driving all around town looking for cymbals and a decent set that and you can haggle the price

User Info Menu

BTW,

I had someone send me a private message with a lot of good information. Just letting that person know that because I am new here, I can not send or reply to his private message.

Not that I am complaining, I am not, I completely understand why you would not want new people sending private messages all over the place.

Thanks again,
    Todd

User Info Menu

Jeez, I just went onto the Nashville craigslist, people are selling top of the line stuff for the same price as the exports and accents here, you could get a used vintage set of Ludwigs, along with a few Zildjian K's and A's with your budget, it's all about finding the deal, and DO NOT buy a cheap kit, if you do decide to quit drumming, the nice kit that you got for a great price might make a profit, and the cheap kit will just sit, because nobody really wants it.
    Tama Rockstar - Vintage Red - 10-12-14-14-22
    14" Paiste 2002 SE Hats : 18" Paiste Signature Prototype : Sabian Vault 20" Ride : 14" A Custom Fast Crash
    Tama IC Doubles

User Info Menu

Gretsch Catalinas are nice and can be found pretty cheaply used. Cymbals, find Dream or used pro cymbals.

User Info Menu

Instead of setting a total budget for everything as a whole, why not set a budget for each part of the kit. 600 for kit, 500 for cymbals, 400 for hardware for example.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
    Jeez, I just went onto the Nashville craigslist, people are selling top of the line stuff for the same price as the exports and accents here, you could get a used vintage set of Ludwigs, along with a few Zildjian K's and A's with your budget, it's all about finding the deal, and DO NOT buy a cheap kit, if you do decide to quit drumming, the nice kit that you got for a great price might make a profit, and the cheap kit will just sit, because nobody really wants it.
    That would be a good way to go IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    Gretsch Catalinas are nice and can be found pretty cheaply used. Cymbals, find Dream or used pro cymbals.
    However, if you are set on something new, the Cats just had a model change this year and they are knocking the price down on the previous model. I have seen them going ~$500 in stores. Plus with the holidays coming up, there are sure to be many sales going on.

I was in GC not too long ago and they had the PDP platinums reduced from ~$1200 to ~$800... I sat and looked at that for a while, then walked out before I got myself in trouble

User Info Menu

if you go used you can have almost pro stock
    you better have less piece but quality stuff
    go to your 3 local store and check what they have and ask question
    never buy at the first store or the second
    after you make reserch on internet and after you take your decision
    good luck and send us some pic when you have buy

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

just listened to the catalina's in ash and maple.
    I am digging the ash!

Any pro or cons to ash?

User Info Menu

Dixon shell pack + AAX pack for 700 buy some hardware with what's left
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

Cymbals are all personal choice though. Heck, so are kits. I agree with the Craigslist idea. Nashville's Craigslist has some BA stuff. Check regularly. You'll find something unique and valuable in your budget.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spawndn72 View Post
    just listened to the catalina's in ash and maple.
    I am digging the ash!

Any pro or cons to ash?
    Nothing wrong with ash. It's a brighter sounding wood, so it sounds louder and is more for rock. Ash has more attack in the sound, more punch. Maple is what's called "warmer", as the tones are mellower and there's less attack. Ash kits tend to be louder "rock" kits, whereas maple is used for jazz, light rock, as well as harder rock.

I believe Ash is a little heavier than maple, which would matter if you were lugging the drums to shows.

If you like the Catalina Ash, they are certainly a good option, and they are a little cheaper than the maple. That money can go towards cymbals!
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Kickinit, what was the change made to the Catalina line?

User Info Menu

KO nailed it for you. We've got several people around here that love their Catalina Ash kits, so if it sounds good to your ears, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

User Info Menu

good choiCe on the cats! its what i would have reccomended. now you need cymbals! well, if you do manage to find a catalina ash kit for 500, logically you have 1000 dollars left. you can get a good paiste pst5 pack for a few hundred on musicians friend. then you have a lot to spend on some new stuff, if you decide to keep up with drumming. and if you dont keep it up, well you have some money left over
    btw, i just hate the idea of used stuff, though you CAN find something great. i saw a pearl vision 11 piece (thats 2 bass drums, 5 toms, 3 floor toms, and snare, with brand new heads and a few boom stands. i was amazed... 400 dollars australian!!!! i kid you not!)
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I believe they changed the bearing edges from 30 degrees like on the Renown to 45 degrees.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
    Great advice! I agree totally with this post!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I believe they changed the bearing edges from 30 degrees like on the Renown to 45 degrees.
    I believe they went from 45 to 30 on the newer models...

They changed some of the hardware too...