Thread: Another kick drum question

User Info Menu

Default Another kick drum question

So I've been playing around a lot with tuning my bass drum lately. I've tried no port, port, different batter and reso head tunings, various muffling (batter, reso or both). I'm very close to a sound I'm really liking. My only complaint is there is a lot of slap or attack on the initially beater hit. I noticed that certain tuning of the batter increase or decrease this. I have the batter tuned to the point that gives me the least "slap". But it's still excessive.

I have a few questions about it...

1) I have a remo falam pad on the batter head. Will that increase, decrease or not affect the amount of slap/attack?

2) My beater impacts the head above center. This was a setup my drum teacher suggested for pedal feel? Do you adjust your beater length for pedal feel or do you alway set it to hit the center of the drum?

3) I'm using the stock Iron Cobra beater which is a thin felt pad. Would a different beater give me less slap/attack?

Thanks so much in advance!
    Doc

User Info Menu

Default Re: Another kick drum question

1) The falam pads help with durability, but definitely add a lot to attack because of their thickness. EMAD's come with a thin sticker which helps durability but doesn't have the same effect.

2) Off center shouldn't give you more attack, as far as I know.

3) I have that beater and it's decent, but of course a full blown old school felt beater will have less attack. They are like $15. I have one on my old Camco pedal and truth be told I think I like it better than the new ones.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Ditch the falam patch. They are too thick and hard. I use Aquarian's super thin batter patch and while they help with durability they don't alter the sound of the head too much. John

User Info Menu

Thanks. I might have to try to get the falam patch off. I'm thinking some dental floss might get it off there.

User Info Menu

Here's a thread I made a while ago specifically for kick attack.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...7.html?t=17127
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john gerrard View Post
    Ditch the falam patch. They are too thick and hard. I use Aquarian's super thin batter patch and while they help with durability they don't alter the sound of the head too much. John
    I agree falam patches are designed for metal players in my opinion that want excessive attack for double bass definition. take it off and either go with out a patch or use a thin piece of mylar like those 5" black dot stick on patches you can buy that go any drum head.

User Info Menu

I'll definately try it without the falam patch and I'll also probably try a different beater style. I noticed in Constinator25's post that someone pointed out that a flat beater increases attack, and that's what came stock with my iron cobra.

User Info Menu

what heads are you running? i try to get as much attack as i can, and im using dw plastic beaters with zero tension on an emperor with zero tension, i usedto run aluminum beaters with a danmar metal kick pad, and that was my sound i liked, triggered without triggers.
    MAPEX MAFIA