Thread: Bass Double Stroke

User Info Menu

Default Bass Double Stroke

Hi:

I just cannot get this can you help me? I have watched Youtube videos and tried this, but I just cannot seem to make this double bass drum stroke.

Regards,

MAUIWH
    "The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass Double Stroke

not that i'm an expert..
    hit the bass pedal with the heel then follow through with the toes,or ball of your foot..this will give a double kick, kinda a 1,1e type sound ,till you can slow it down to a 1, 1a kick. i find this to give a fast beat, when you can go from 1/4 note kicks, then to 1/8 notes ,then back to 1/4 notes,,is a lot of fun..
    cheers.

User Info Menu

I've been working on this a lot lately...just put on a metronome and take it slow, and when you start feeling comfortable, turn up the speed a few notches, and when you get comfortable with that speed turn it up a little more, etc.

As for technique, it varies by person but I use the slide technique, which is where you slide your foot forward on the pedal to do the second stroke. This and heel-toe (hitting the pedal on one strike with your heel and the other with your toe) are the two most common foot techniques for bass drum doubles.
    Matt

User Info Menu

do a search for heel toe

User Info Menu

I am not a double pedal player but I can double beat on a single pedal which to me woud be about the same and it is all heel to toe action ( roll ball). With pratice you will eventually get it.