Thread: What about a 2nd Crash?

User Info Menu

Smile What about a 2nd Crash?

Hey,

Well, i'm getting a bit ahead of myself here, I havn't even purchased a decent crash yet, but this question just hit me: What do I put as my second crash (if I was to buy one).

Get the same one as the first crash, or another different one completely? mm I know im going to get a lot of 'do whatever you want' responses but yeah, what do you guys have, whats your set up?

Thanks,

Aidan

User Info Menu

Default Re: What about a 2nd Crash?

It depends on the music you are playing, but speaking as someone fairly new to drumming who is still working out how to build a kit, I'd say go for a similar crash in a different size.

e.g. have a 16" as your main crash, then an 18" as the second. This means that when you have repeated crashes in a passage you can alternate between them to add some variety to what is otherwise a flat wall of a single sound. If you listen to 'gimmie all your lovin' by ZZ top (sorry I cant give a more metal example), you can hear Frank Beard doing this during the middle instrumental break after the snare roll. Two sets of three crashes, and if you listen carefully you can hear the differing tone in each crash. Subtle, but it makes the music (and the playing!) more intersting.

You can also use the differening tone to compliment different movements in the music. e.g. the 16" will likely be a higher tone, so it suits when the music is going 'up', such as the transition to a chorus or something like that where the key or mood of the music 'rises'. Then when the music comes 'down' again, such as back into the verse or something like that, you can use the lower tone of the larger crash.

I've set up like this a couple of weeks ago, and was really pleased with the added variety it gives and am enjoying experimenting with different combinations in different songs. It's also given me a lot more info on the kind of cymbals I want to get moving forwards.

I'm still very much a newbie though, and I'm sure there is a lot more to the art than I have found so far, but I'd say this is a good place to start.

HTH.

Edited to add: For ref, I play mostly straightforward Rock. AC/DC, ZZ Top, Cult, that sort of thing.
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

well said TPO
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

The first two crashes I bought were an Alpha 16" med. and an Alpha 18" med. crash. Worked out well, then added an 18" Alpha Thin crash and it was alittle different but to me more versitile, so I wound up using the two 18" Alpha crashes mostly and the 16" crash at certain times like TPO said. The thin crash gives me alittle higher pitch than the medium crash. I like to accent the med. crash with the thin crash on occasion.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

dont forget a 3rd crash

User Info Menu

When I picked my second crash, I tried to find a crash with a longer sustain and that was easily ride-able. Just my 2 cents
    The drums!
    Tama Starclassic Birch 5 piece
    14x6.5 Brass Pork Pie big black snare
    12",14" DDrum Deccabons
    Batter- Aquarian Response 2 coated
    Reso- Aquarian Classic Coated

The Cymbals!
    17" Paiste 2002 Wild Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Power Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    14" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi hats
    10" Wuhan Splash
    16" Wuhan China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bloodylipp View Post
    dont forget a 3rd crash
    Yep. Of course it comes down to personal preference, but I like to have three crashes on my kit...essentially a low, medium, and high pitch.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I have two crashes and i plan putting at least another one, And replacing the 14'' for a 17'' or 18''
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

I have 3 crashes, a 16" and two 18"s.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Yes!.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

I have 4 crashes. 2 16"'s, an 18" & a 20". But I would start out with a 16" and an 18". Nice difference in sound but still close enough to complement each other.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

It all goes downhill from here, soon you too will realise that it's impossible to own too many cymbals. I've only been posting a few weeks and already I've tripled the number of crashes I have and I'm thinking of buying more.

But I'm in control, I could stop if I wanted to..
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Smile Re: What about a 2nd Crash?

Quote Originally Posted by TPO View Post
    It all goes downhill from here, soon you too will realise that it's impossible to own too many cymbals. I've only been posting a few weeks and already I've tripled the number of crashes I have and I'm thinking of buying more.

But I'm in control, I could stop if I wanted to..
    Nah, you're not in control. But don't worry, cymbal addiction isn't a bad thing. Lol. How can you ever have too many?

Aidan

User Info Menu

I agree

User Info Menu

Don't forget a couple of splash cymbals, a china, and maybe a zil-bel or two.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Lars.......its all personal preference, let your ears tell you what sounds best.

As already posted you have a lot of options, Zil Bell, splash, china etc. I say get your first crash and then go from there to see what type of sound you want to go for next.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bubingabill View Post
    I agree

*starts drooling*

User Info Menu

Lol Nice Kit

User Info Menu

ideally... i want 5. 14 thin, 16 med, 17 rock, 18 and 20 metal paiste alpha's. :P
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TPO View Post
    It depends on the music you are playing, but speaking as someone fairly new to drumming who is still working out how to build a kit, I'd say go for a similar crash in a different size.

e.g. have a 16" as your main crash, then an 18" as the second. This means that when you have repeated crashes in a passage you can alternate between them to add some variety to what is otherwise a flat wall of a single sound. If you listen to 'gimmie all your lovin' by ZZ top (sorry I cant give a more metal example), you can hear Frank Beard doing this during the middle instrumental break after the snare roll. Two sets of three crashes, and if you listen carefully you can hear the differing tone in each crash. Subtle, but it makes the music (and the playing!) more intersting.

You can also use the differening tone to compliment different movements in the music. e.g. the 16" will likely be a higher tone, so it suits when the music is going 'up', such as the transition to a chorus or something like that where the key or mood of the music 'rises'. Then when the music comes 'down' again, such as back into the verse or something like that, you can use the lower tone of the larger crash.

I've set up like this a couple of weeks ago, and was really pleased with the added variety it gives and am enjoying experimenting with different combinations in different songs. It's also given me a lot more info on the kind of cymbals I want to get moving forwards.

I'm still very much a newbie though, and I'm sure there is a lot more to the art than I have found so far, but I'd say this is a good place to start.

HTH.

Edited to add: For ref, I play mostly straightforward Rock. AC/DC, ZZ Top, Cult, that sort of thing.
    This is exactly what I did. I have a 16", an 18" and a 17" Meinl Amun for a darker/different crash sound, I also have a Zildjian 16" bright crash that I use too. I'm currently experimenting with my newly purchased Wuhan 18" china to make things interesting. Having a variety of cymbals has opened more doors to creativity for me.