Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Sos

User Info Menu

Default Emergency Sos

oh no.... the line has just been drawn. My neighbor just complained a second time about my drumming. He said he just can't take it anymore, and thats all he said according to my dad. I know i'm not the only who this has happened to, but drumming is my biggest dream right now, and when you get a complaint like that you feel like your dream is being crushed. but I have to think about what he has to go through because he doesn't work on the weekend and sometimes i have drum sessions up to 8 hours. So hes been really patient with me up till this point.

Since stopping drumming is absolutely NOT an option, do you guys have ANY suggestions on how I can still drum without upsetting my neighbors.... I was thinking about moving down to the car port which is never being used for car use, but the heating bill will go through the roof, and my other neighbor will get upset... i'm really in a pickle

User Info Menu

Get better? just kidding. Why don't you soundproof your room? Get some eggcrate and start tacking it to the walls. If you dont have enough at first, hang up heavy blankets on your walls, two or three layers.
    i must be the only hip hop fan here

User Info Menu

You could buy some mute pads for your set and take em off when they're gone. Try putting foam over your doors and on clear wall spots.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

what kind of foam?

User Info Menu

Any thick foam will do. I used my uncles industrial foam and some strips of insulation. It helped a good bit, but I don't have neighbors to complain so I can't say it'll take care of your problems completely.

User Info Menu

Cool Emergency SOS

There are certain types of acoustic foam (the kind used in recording studios) that reduce loud sounds--although 32nd has a good alternate idea, since professional foam can be pretty darn expensive...and I'd agree that practice pads on your drums are a good idea, too...

I'd be a little uneasy about using the carport, because the temperature extremes could do a number on your shells and heads...and if it isn't lockable, you run the risk of losin' more than just the drum practicin'...

Keep workin' with your neighbor...good luck, man...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I just looked at some of those practice pads, and they seem pretty reasonable prise but does anyone know if they do actually produce a "realistic sound" ? and a realistic feel? anyone know a good place to buy them at? the foam would be nice.. accept the practice pads seem a lot more realistic and reasonable financially and if i want to record or something i can always take them off for a bit, thanks a lot for the help guys really appreciate it any other suggestions would be wonderful!

User Info Menu

I used a Vic Firth PP3 mute pack, they give good rebound and you can still hear the tone of your drums just not with the volume.

User Info Menu

but then you have to make provisions because there is different sizes of drums and stuff right? or will they fit all drums?

User Info Menu

You can just buy a set of pads for your kit, they even come with ones for your cymbals. and example is here on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Drum-Silencer...QQcmdZViewItem

Keeps the volume down, and it's really not that expensive. That is form the Aussie e-bay, and the price is in AUstralian dollars - but I am sure you can find the same thing wherever you are. Your local drum/music shop shoul dbe able to hook you up easily.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

how long do they last?

User Info Menu

To my knowledge they last as long as rubber lasts (when getting struck repeatedly by sticks anyway). I suppose they wear a bit like skins, but ultimately it is a cost effective and a convenient way to deaden the sound of your drums. Didn't I see a post on here somwhere where somone had made their own version of these things? They were bright orange or red.

Anyway, they would probably last at minimum as long as your heads, probably longer, but I can't honsetly say for sure because I have to try them out to.
    Last edited by crazymanwithaplunger; 04-16-2007 at 11:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    Didn't I see a post on here somwhere where someone had made their own version of these things? They were bright orange or red.
    to.
    yeah I did see that one too, I actually took that guys idea and put electrician tape on my drums to take the resonation away it barley helped though, if at all.

well whatever it takes. If i need to use those sound dampeners i'll use em because i not gonna stop drumming because of a little noise

User Info Menu

8 hour practice sessions? Little excessive don't you think?

My suggestion is to be mature about it. Go and talk to your neighbour, ask him when it would be OK for you to practice and what times are off-limits.

Make your position clear, that you won't quit playing drums, but say you are open to ideas on how to minimise the conflict.

I myself have an unspoken agreement with my neighbours that I won't practice after 8:30pm or before 10am. But for all other regular times, it's free game. Most of the time I get good feedback from my neighbours anyway.

Hope this helps you out man,
    HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I agree that 8 hours is excessive, especially if your neighbor is not cool with you playing. When I was high school and it was too late to play drums out in the garage, I would pack the drums in my car and drive up the mountain and stop at the first vacant large turnout, park my car and set up my drums with a light plugged into my cigarette lighter, i would jam for hours with no one bothering me. Even the cops let me continue since I wasn't bothering anyone.
    Life is like a garden, dig it!

User Info Menu

Yea i agree too, but I was just saying I practice for that long but not very often, its usually 2-3 hours. Hellsbells, your suggestion was what i was going to do, make it clear I'm not quiting and just negotiates a time thats cool with him.
    right now its not after 9:00 pm and not before 9:00 am. Im gonna talk to him when he gets back from work which is... an hour or so so ill see how it goes, thanks guys

User Info Menu

I hope he is willing to negotiate or you will be telling the cops the same thing when they show up. Lose the tude and realize you are bothering your neighbors, not the other way around. No one is asking you to quit. If you are practicing at 9am, I would be pissed as well. 11am-10pm unspoken residential courtesy rule.
    Life is like a garden, dig it!

User Info Menu

Hey, if all else fails you could just sneak into his house at night and whack him lol.

User Info Menu

Here is that thread - it was XJ99's kit.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php?t=1431

Useing "rubber maid" - i'm not sure what that is, but it looks alot like the stuff you get from a music story - albeit bright orange.

User Info Menu

Hah, that's pretty smart of XJ. I would have never figured to use rubbermaid for practice pads. The pads that I had were less plastic-ish and had good rebound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat
    Hey, if all else fails you could just sneak into his house at night and whack him lol.
    My friend suggested that to me, accept he used the word 'kill' instead of smack lol.
    yeah those rubber maid things look pretty snazzy too i have no idea what they are though I've never seen them before. I'm still putting my money on the mute pads though. Wow. 10 at night thats pretty darn late.. at least i think so. 9 in the morning is a bit early though isn't it

User Info Menu

Not sure about where you live, but from a legal point of view, I can play from after 8:am and as late as 11 pm on weekdays and 1am on the weekend. That's in a residential zone in Australia, maybe different for you guys in the US and various European countries though. Not that I would mind you. I don't think I have ever really played later than 9 at night. At least not at a house.

User Info Menu

right on crazyman! 11am?? thats just pushing it. that law is totally unfair for anyone.

i get on about 830am and tap out some rudiments etc for hands and feet etc with pads on and then those pads fly off around 10am and bang bang slam bang until 11:30am. the not so professional sound kill in the room does help though. in my opinion, that really is the way to go for any drummer trying to keep a beat.

User Info Menu

trade em in for electronic drums....they're great....yoou can still play drums and your neighbour will be on a guilt trip because he thinks you've stopped playing drums because of him.....heheheh....

User Info Menu

electronic drums huh? I did think of buying some of those but i kinda wanna learn on an acoustic set. Then maybe later on buy an electric one just to get a real good feel on the acoustic before i switch thats all.