Thread: The Basics. Grip and Technique.

User Info Menu

Default The Basics. Grip and Technique.

A while ago I made a quick video about the basics of grip and movements in reply to a question on another forum. I don't think I've put it on here before, and I do think it would be useful to some of the beginners on here.

In general, my technique is a hybrid of what I was taught by Dom Famularo, modified by ideas from Dave Weckle and Jim Chapin.

IMPORTANT!. Though I was professional for 20 years, I don't consider myself to be an expert in the finer points of technique, and I am no teacher. There is no substitute for getting a good teacher to show you this stuff, but as it says on the video, check out Dom Famularo's materials, Jojo Mayer, etc etc.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiNuS8r29uw"]YouTube - Basics[/ame]

What I will say bout the above, is that the techniques on there served me well throughout my career, and enabled me to play long and hard with speed power and relaxation, and with no pains or health problems. Hope some of you find this useful, and maybe some of you will be inspired to delve deeper and get some professionally produced materials from the real experts.

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Basics. Grip and Technique.

very nice vid Andy . very helpful . i would also think that the way you set up would help play relaxed. the height of your pad was perfect for you. again, good vid. thanks for posting it.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Andy, don't be so humble. You have great skills, and good on you to show them to us. I bet many here on DC would like to play as relaxed as you do.

I reckon you don't have to compare yourself to the "stars" of drumming. You're great and many younger and older drummers can learn from you. Imagine teachers would have to have Nobel laureate qualities to teach our kids in school. We'd have really big class sizes I guess, if there were classes at all.

Well, I consider you an "expert" in drumming and I admire you and all those who take the time and have the patience to teach this wonderful instrument of ours to the up-and-coming stars.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words guys. seriously thanks.

Re set up:- You're dead right atomcorr, comfortable set up is important. Once you've got the sticks in your hands, where they naturally fall is where you should put the snare. Toms and cymbals should also be at angles and places that are easy to get to and play, with the heads as close to 90 degrees to the stick impact direction as possible to convert as much or the energy into sound and rebound as possible. (Jojo Meyer explains this brilliantly on his DVD set.)

Also, where your feet go, when sat at a comfortable height, is where you put your pedals.

Andy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Thanks for the kind words guys. seriously thanks.

Re set up:- You're dead right atomcorr, comfortable set up is important. Once you've got the sticks in your hands, where they naturally fall is where you should put the snare. Toms and cymbals should also be at angles and places that are easy to get to and play, with the heads as close to 90 degrees to the stick impact direction as possible to convert as much or the energy into sound and rebound as possible. (Jojo Meyer explains this brilliantly on his DVD set.)

Also, where your feet go, when sat at a comfortable height, is where you put your pedals.

Andy
    AMEN! Don't worry about trendy "looks" and all that. Although if you play a lot of gigs where there is a backline kit provided, you would be well served to be at least competent playing a generic set up. Given the opportunity, I will still take 5 minutes and adjust what I can. I bring my own snare and stand, as well as throne so I have my core pieces set the way I like them, then adjust the rest around those pieces. I would rather cut 1 song from the set if it comes to that just to have the drums set properly for me.

Andy, in watching your video (and I competely agree with the other comments), it seems as if your Moeller technique is used to provide the accents while the non-accented hand (left) was not using Moeller. Do you find it possible to incorporate Moeller without accents or is that just the nature of the technique?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post

Andy, in watching your video (and I competely agree with the other comments), it seems as if your Moeller technique is used to provide the accents while the non-accented hand (left) was not using Moeller. Do you find it possible to incorporate Moeller without accents or is that just the nature of the technique?

Thanks!
    Quick Vid of my thoughts on using Moeller without accents.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwGZsLGejag"]YouTube - Moeller without accents.wmv[/ame]

BTW. More to write about this, but haven't got time now. I'll add later.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyC; 10-22-2010 at 07:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks, that's very helpful.

But didn't I read in an earlier post something like "I'm no teacher"?

I think you are disproving your own statement!

User Info Menu

Great vids Andy, and I agree that you've got quite a bit of teacher in you!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!

User Info Menu

It had been a few weeks; bordering on months when I saw the video posted above and immediately sat at my kit.

Thanks for the inspiration.