Thread: yamaha DTXtreme 900 vs DTXtreme 3 special

User Info Menu

Default yamaha DTXtreme 900 vs DTXtreme 3 special

I am looking at these sets. They are still a few DTXtreme 3 sets for sell. So besides the new heads on the 900 what are main differences between these two. The 900 is around $1500. higher than the dtxtreme 3. Is the 900 worth the extra cash. Are the brains alot different. What set would you purchase.

User Info Menu

Default Re: yamaha DTXtreme 900 vs DTXtreme 3 special

I use to own the DTXTREME 3 kit. With the latest firmware update the module is the same as the 900.

User Info Menu

As NPYYZ states..modules are the same once you perform firmware update (on III)...the real differences are in the pads...the new DTX900 series kits come with a new pad technology called TCS (stands for textured cellular silicone)...according to Yamaha (and others who have tried them)...the new pads are more realistic in feel and are also the quietest pads on the market...they also are very sensitive to ghost notes...additionally Yamaha has designed the snare pad to feel different than the toms. The snare has a tighter feel to it than the toms (to similate real acoustic drums)...hope this info helps.

User Info Menu

Are the cymbals the very same on both kits.

User Info Menu

They are exactly the same

User Info Menu

As others have stated, the modules are the same (as are the cymbals). The only difference is the pads. If you've got the money, got for the DTX900. The pads are the best thing out right now. I have a DTX550, which has the DTX snare pad, and I love it. I wouldn't go so far as to say it feels just like an acoustic snare but it's definitely the best feeling pad available.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^