Thread: looking for my next set of drums???

User Info Menu

Default looking for my next set of drums???

First off if this has been posted a thousand times I appologize! So, I'm in between drums right now, been a Youth Pastor for over 3 years up until a couple weeks ago so kinda got out of the drumming scene for awhile. SO to the point. I have always played drums in church and the new church I'm attending looks like they may make me the new drummer.....I already played the 2nd night I was there. But NOW to the POINT. I am looking for my next set of drums and I'm wanting something semi close to a custom set....or at least where I have some set up options. So with that said that eleminates any bass drum mounted tom sets. So what I'm wanting is a set that I can kinda set the toms where I want them (NOT IN THE BASS DRUM). SO here's the real question. 1. I want a really sharp, nice sounding set. 2. Being as I'm playing them in a church....and not a really big church. I need a set that sounds good, without being super LOUD, you know how them old people have sensitive ears and they can be a little testy about a loud drummer. I don't like to have to tone down my style of playing just because I'm trying to play quieter, if you know what I mean. So from my research I THINK, I'm looking for a set of drums made of birch, because of the shorter attack, and less resonance.....and Like I said I don't want the toms to mount into the bass drum....that's EXTREMELY important to me....but at the same time I can't afford to spend $2000 plus to buy a complete custom set from the higher end custom drum makers. SO if you guys have any suggestions I will shure take them.
    THANKS,
    Drumnut30

User Info Menu

Default Re: looking for my next set of drums???

Hi Drumnut30... welcome to DC!

I don't know if you have considered this, but would an electronic kit be an option? With an e-kit you have all sort of configuration options, different drum and percussion sounds, as well as a volume knob! I use an e-kit for small, low volume gigs and always get complements on the sound.

If you are set on an acoustic kit, there are many members on this site that would be able to offer you more advice than I could.

Again, welcome!

User Info Menu

I know exactly what you need, dn30. I too play in my church's worship band and can relate to the sound requirements. I recommend the Gretsch Catalina Club 4-pc jazz kit with 14" SD, 12" T, 14" FT, and 18" BD. I think you can get a new shell pack for under $700. Then, another $500 for a set of Zildjians and about $250 for stands and a seat. So, for about $1450 you can get new drum gear for your church gig! Another option is to find something used...for which you can probably find a nice set for less than $1000. Good luck !

User Info Menu

If you are convinced that you want birch, find a used MAPEX SATURN BIRCH. Virgin kick. Great quality.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat drumnut30!

I would also look into the Gretsch Catalina Birch kit - under $700. It would still leave you plenty of money for cymbals and hardware.

Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The Cats are a good recommendation, but I have to say I wouldn't get birch if you want a quieter set. Birch has more attack and a brighter sound, which comes across as "louder" to the audience. Resonance, in my experience, comes across as "tone" which people don't mind.

I would say thin maple shells with coated heads is the way to go. There are numerous maple kits but finding one with a "virgin" kick does limit things. I'm not aware of any maple kits in the Catalina price range that have that. The Gretsch Renowns are an option, although they are a little more than the cats.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Oops! Forgot the whole virgin kick thing.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

FYI PB I really dig the Cat Birch kits. If and when I'm in the market again (say my bro takes back his Renowns), might want a smaller birch kit than my Tamas so I have one birch, one maple.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Now there's an interesting thought KO. I have a line on a special deal for a Mapex Saturn kit. I'm just waiting to see if it will come about.

ThePloughman Guest

Forget the virgin thing, remove the mount and replace it with a same sized Chrome plate engraved, custom built for >>>>> your name Here<<<<<<. Mount the toms on a cymbal stand mount or a double tom stand.

Criteria Met, and I just saved you 2K.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Forget the virgin thing, remove the mount and replace it with a same sized Chrome plate engraved, custom built for >>>>> your name Here<<<<<<. Mount the toms on a cymbal stand mount or a double tom stand.

Ploughman, your practicality and experience are invaluable around here!

User Info Menu

Wow, thanks for all the post guys. To "ThePloughman", that is an ingeneous idea, I've never heard that one before. I love the idea of replacing the tom mount in the bass drum with a custom ingraved plate. BUT, let me throw one more thing at you guys. I have been looking at ddrum dios, I LOVE thier close to custom look, with thier bullet or tube style lugs, available wood hoops and the versitility of thier "virgin kick" setup....never played a set of ddrum before. I realize they are maple, but if "Kaosotis" is right about the maple vs birch....and shure he knows more than me, so he is probably right, than I may have found my next set of drums. SO any thoughts on ddrum? I'm also kinda interested in thier Hybrid kit....but I have no clue what they cost. Anyone played any of the Hybrids and have a clue how much they are?

Oh, and just for any spell checkers out there, I'm aware that "ingeneous" is probably spelled wrong.

Thanks,
    Drumnut30
    Last edited by drumnut30; 10-20-2010 at 09:45 AM.

User Info Menu

drumnut, don't worry about getting a hard time around here, because Drum Chat is about respecting each other as drummers.

As to ddrum, in the past they have had problems with quality control. Specifically, their bearing edges were sometimes uneven. They seem to be doing better now, but people are still a little skepticle about ddrum's quality control. I would say that if you are considering ddrum, just make sure you check it carefully, and take the time to inspect the bearing edges. BTW, I saw the ddrum Dios Maple kit with a natural finish that just about knocked me out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post

Well there are virgin kick kits that aren't super pricey (Tama Superstars for example), but definitely a good solution. I almost did that when I tried offset on my old Tamas. Never got around to spending the $40 I think it was to get the plate made, and then went back to standard setup anyway!
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

ddrum dios looks really sweet! I'd go for it! Looks close to your "custom" needs if you ask me.....

ddrum dios maple kit

User Info Menu

Oh how Im going to hate myself for saying this but..........I agee with the 4pc Gretsch set up.

Cant believe being a Ludwig owner those words came outta my mouth.

Any way.......let me also say welcome to the board before I leave to wash my mouth out with soap.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum rack, druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum rack....

or an electronic kit.

or a gretsch :D
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex