Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bare Feet, Socks or Shoes - How Do You Play?

User Info Menu

Default Bare Feet, Socks or Shoes - How Do You Play?

I'm curious, does anyone else play with bare feet? I have tried my bass with socks, sneakers, shoes and slippers. I enjoy playing with my bare feet and feel like I have more control. I tried to play with shoes on but it's just not happening for me.

How about you?

Do any famous drummers play with bare feet?
    Last edited by drum_chick; 04-16-2007 at 10:28 PM.

User Info Menu

I can't play bare-footed personally, but I have seen it done by mmany drummers. I like my skate shoes the best.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Cool

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA I just become a SENIOR!!!!! I only signed up to this thing, like, not even a week ago. Man I talk alot huh? Sorry D_C, I know that was off topic but I just realised on my reply to your post. You should feel honoured, though.

Ok, sorry, i'm done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA I just become a SENIOR!!!!! I only signed up to this thing, like, not even a week ago. Man I talk alot huh? Sorry D_C, I know that was off topic but I just realised on my reply to your post. You should feel honoured, though.

Ok, sorry, i'm done.

LOL! I'm glad you became a senior on my post.....

User Info Menu

Ummm... yeah.

Anyway.
    I play barefooted at home and I wear sneakers when I play shows (usually skate shoes; I like the padding but no ankle support).
    i must be the only hip hop fan here

User Info Menu

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sethhover
    Ummm... yeah.

Anyway.
    I play barefooted at home and I wear sneakers when I play shows (usually skate shoes; I like the padding but no ankle support).
    Totally agree with your reasoning behind skate shoes. I don't actually consciously wear any sort of shoe specifically when I play, but I am most comfortable in my skate shoes for that exact reason.

User Info Menu

i play with socks or bare footed, they both feel natural. Only 1 reason i would choose one over the other is if my feet get warm so ill kick those socks off

User Info Menu

usually bare foot...feels alot more comfortable. i dont like socks. sneakers are the best option if i where shoes

User Info Menu

I tend to play gigs and stuff with shoes, but I don't practice with them on.

I like to wear socks, as they give a nice slide off the pedal. Barefoot tends to start to stick to the rubber parts on my pedals.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I always play barefoot. I find thats the most comfotable way to play as it gives a good grip and a good feel.

User Info Menu

I play with my barefeet, not with socks though to slippery for me, but my most comfortable way is just with my shoes or sandles.

User Info Menu

the way i like my double pedals prevents me from playing barefoot. when i go to make transitions from the left kick peal to the hi hat the beater snaps back and nails my right foot. the first time i went to play double pedals over 2kicks i did that without shoes and got a huge bruise on the top of my foot.
    i play with my plain ol' adidas shell toes. used to use wrestling shoes back in the 80s.

User Info Menu

Neil Peart among other pro drummers recommend dancing shoes, they are very light, and have outstanding traction and comfort.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    Neil Peart among other pro drummers recommend dancing shoes, they are very light, and have outstanding traction and comfort.
    OK Kev, I want to see you in a pair of ballet slippers!

User Info Menu

Maybe..........

User Info Menu

I don't know if anybody else noticed or not, but if you look closely at those pics that BTG posted, he's wearing black dress socks with Berkenstocks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger

Ok, sorry, i'm done.

Thanks for the heads up

I play with or without shoes. usually if i am playing a gig Ill use shoes since the bass beater can leave a nasty mark on the top of your foot if you are playing hard. There is no right or wrong way, just a matter of preference;
    Life is like a garden, dig it!

User Info Menu

Your newbie essay is due!

User Info Menu

I always play in my flip-flops, nothing else feels right, but dang it, I dance (tap, ballet, jazz) maybe I'll try with dance shoes...

User Info Menu

I used to play with just socks - but that's pretty impractical for gigs (and hot weather too; there's nothing worse than making your bass drum pedals slimy with sweat and then slipping off).

I've got a couple of pairs of Converse all-stars that I just love. I dunno why, but I can't get the same response with anything else. Maybe it's because they're flat-soled, and thin. Or something.

I reckon dance shoes would be great. Have you tried it yet Drummina?

User Info Menu

No, my husband bought a new high-hat and has everything taken apart. Full report to follow...

User Info Menu

i play with my bare feet, sometimes with socks but i hate playing with shoes... i feel more controlable with my bare foot...
    sonor beater...
    together we stand

User Info Menu

I like playing in my Converse all stars, i dont really like playing bare foot i dont like the sweat and my foot begins to stick to the kick pedal. I want to try dancing shoes now

User Info Menu

I play with my bare feet, in socks, then in shoes!

Seriously, I usually play barefoot, but if it's cold or I'm playing outside where it's gonna hurt my feet, I wear skate shoes.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

All stars are definatlly my favorite to run, its pretty much as sock, but the weight and friction of the underside makes them great to double bass with, enough weight to push the pedal, but enough to lift and move quickly