Thread: Heel/Toe

User Info Menu

Default Heel/Toe

In my practice session earlier today, I found out how to heel/toe, something that I've wanted to do for quite some time. I was wondering what kind of exercises I could do to improve the technique. All I did was establish some muscle memory during my session.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Heel/Toe

Good job! can you share how you did it? Or is that only possible from a real live person in person?
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Hmm. How can I explain it lol. Let's see. I had my foot waaay up on the pedal, like with my toes up against the chain and I was experimenting with playing heel up. I just happened to hit down just right and my heel bounced on the pedal and I got the second hit. I went back and tried again and found my pedal's sweet spot. It's kinda hard since I don't have a longboard and my feet aren't the size of my 12 year old sister's

That probably doesn't help too much, but it's kinda hard to describe. I'll see, maybe I'll have an opportunity to post a video of it for you in the next few days or so.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China

Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    Good job! can you share how you did it? Or is that only possible from a real live person in person?
    Derrick Pope has a youtube vid of this that explains very well. I have also seen this vid in the video lessons here on DC

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKS9a9NuPc"]YouTube - Derrick Pope - Heel Toe Method[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    It's kinda hard since I don't have a longboard and my feet aren't the size of my 12 year old sister's
    I started out with heel-toe, mostly because it was the easiest for me. So I purchased a longboard. After you develop the working muscles needed, it becomes easier to do it on a regular pedal without having to put your toe so close to the chain/belt.

If you have a high arch:
    I basically have the St. Louis arch in my foot and I don't wear shoes while playing. One thing I noticed that was particularly helpful for me. If I move my foot a little towards the left (right edge of my foot closer to the center of the pedal), it's much easier for me to do.

Keep working on it, it will become easier and faster

User Info Menu

Heel/toe is a great technique that can give you a ton of new ideas. It can mimic the quick doubles that John Bonham used in 'Good Times, Bad Times' and you can add complexity to stale straight double kick drumming with double strokes.

How do you work on it? Practice it.
    You don't even need a pedal to practice heel toe. I practice it on the ground whenever I can. You sit in a chair, stomp the ground with your heel and while pulling up your leg rotate the ball of your foot down and tap your toes on the upstroke. I can even do it while standing, and often do (probably bothering people around me in the process but I don't care!). Practice, practice, practice.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    You sit in a chair, stomp the ground with your heel and while pulling up your leg rotate the ball of your foot down and tap your toes on the upstroke. I can even do it while standing, and often do (probably bothering people around me in the process but I don't care!). Practice, practice, practice.
    I've been doing that all morning
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

I mimic trying to "tap dance" while seated. It drives strangers crazy when I'm in a waiting room (i.e. the doctor's office) and I find myself practicing my heel/toe technique. I get strange and annoyed looks as my feet "spaz out" back and forth lol...

User Info Menu

i gotta learn this..i known about it for years, but i've never actually tried it, it would prolly save a lot of energy when doin fast double bass rhythms
    12x5 Pork Pie Lil Squeeler Snare
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal w/red offset cam

www.facebook.com/thebattleofmidway

User Info Menu

Yesterday I watched Popes lesson on heel toe..and maybe I have the wrong pedal ( basic Tama ) but my pedal will not allow..my foot is 12" long and when I place it flat on pedal and rock my heal is off the back side and will not bounce pedal...Now I am considering a double pedal and I have read the threads there..but..would you think this is a pedal problem or adjustment problem?? can't see any real adjustment to change my foot length..thoughts??
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I mimic trying to "tap dance" while seated. It drives strangers crazy when I'm in a waiting room (i.e. the doctor's office) and I find myself practicing my heel/toe technique. I get strange and annoyed looks as my feet "spaz out" back and forth lol...
    Ditto but makes me laugh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Yesterday I watched Popes lesson on heel toe..and maybe I have the wrong pedal ( basic Tama ) but my pedal will not allow..my foot is 12" long and when I place it flat on pedal and rock my heal is off the back side and will not bounce pedal...Now I am considering a double pedal and I have read the threads there..but..would you think this is a pedal problem or adjustment problem?? can't see any real adjustment to change my foot length..thoughts??
    You can do heel/toe on any pedal. The key is foot placement. In an effort to incorporate this technique into most of my playing, I started playing heel up and I keep my toes as far up the pedal as they'll go so my heel hits right above where the foot base ends. I use an Iron Cobra Jr. and a single Iron Cobra (depending if I'm on my home kit or my band's practice kit) and this works great for me. Despite the fact that I think I have smaller feet (I never bothered to measure them before lol), I think this would work for you too. Here's a top down view of my ICJ pedal to give you a better visualization of what I'm talking about. Excuse the beater xD

As far as the actual technique goes, the best thing you can do to practice is what the other people in the thread have been saying: rock your feet back and forth to produce sort of a galloping sound anywhere you're sitting. It gets annoying to other people after a while (I usually only do it in small spurts or when there's lots of noise so it's not as noticeable), but this really helps. I've done more heel/toe sitting in class than I have sitting at my kit lol
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

great work on getting your heel toe sorted out the best way to practice i found is just in a normal 1/4 note groove in 4/4 and use the heel toe technique on the kick for the 1 + and the 3 + of the beat
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

i have an iron cobra jnr double pedal try using the ball of your foot for the second hit rather than your toes it works for me and i have UK size 12 feet
    it also stops your toes rubbing against the chains
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

Thanks guys...I will try tonight...you see if I push my foot forward to get heel on back of pedal my toes are into the chain!!! so maybe as suggested I will have to move my foot front to back to adcheive the desired rocking...ty
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Good tips guys...as always. I'm finally gonna give this a shot.

User Info Menu

Yeah I need to get going on the heel/toe. I have tried it a few times and can hit it sometimes and miss it other times, I just haven't given it the time it deserves...It's time.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

Sounds good! Personally though I think as we start to develop we all create unique techniques that best work for us. Even if it's just small variations of 'correct' techniques.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigkid View Post
    Sounds good! Personally though I think as we start to develop we all create unique techniques that best work for us. Even if it's just small variations of 'correct' techniques.
    Glad you said correct as there are a lot of bad habits out there. Well done

User Info Menu

I have the same problem Marty. I understand the concept, but my size 12 foot and my footboard just don't agree with it.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    I have the same problem Marty. I understand the concept, but my size 12 foot and my footboard just don't agree with it.
    If you play with shoes, try practicing heel/toe with socks. The rubber soles on most shoes will hamper the rocking back and forth action when you first attempt this technique and with the shoes off, you have a bit more room to manuver your foot towards the chain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    If you play with shoes, try practicing heel/toe with socks. The rubber soles on most shoes will hamper the rocking back and forth action when you first attempt this technique and with the shoes off, you have a bit more room to manuver your foot towards the chain.
    +1. I always play in socks. Shoes really get in the way of "feeling" the pedal and inevitably lead to foot creep.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

I have made some progress with heel toe myself this past week. Spending even 5 minutes out of your practice session to do nothing but heel toe really builds the muscle memory for it. I have now moved on to adding tom beats after a double bass hit, nothing too fancy just getting a steady 6 beats (K, K, R, L, R, L and K, K, R, R, L, L) and moving that around the kit making sure the muscle memorises and I feel comfortable, I'll be a heel toe demon in no time.

Oh yeah, and always in socks, I don't have a long footboard and I have size 11 (UK) feet so socks are a must to really feel the pedal and get the motion down.
    Last edited by Jerzey Street Band (JSB); 12-13-2010 at 06:49 AM.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    +1. I always play in socks. Shoes really get in the way of "feeling" the pedal and inevitably lead to foot creep.
    Hmm, my foot always creeps and slides around on the pedal if I'm wearing socks. With bare feet, my foot grips at first then starts sweating, resulting in unwanted sliding. Shoes help me grip the footboard, and I can play faster and more easily wearing shoes, because I find it much more comfortable.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

There are a number of ways to do it, I found that I couldn't do other methods because I am flat-footed. However, I can do the one described by Derrick Pope. Even so, it doesn't really work for me....here's why:
    1. Not enough power ... perhaps okay for Jazz drummers, but not enough for Rock.
    2. I think I need a long-board pedal (like Axis) to be effective and get more power.
    3. I found that I can cheat using the double-bass pedals :-)