Thread: Hxm hd-008/10

User Info Menu

Question Hxm hd-008/10

I'm about to buy a beginners set. The problem is, of course, that it must be cheap without being absolute crap.

I heav read about the Roland HD-1 set and the Yamaha DTXplorer, but then I saw the HXM HD001 and HD10 sets.

What attracts me are, among other things, the choke function and the rim-shots function. I do not believe the other sets (Roland/Yamaha) have these functions on their low cost sets. Or am I wrong?

Unfortunately i cannot find any pro review or user comments on the HMX sets. Nor can I find any good videos at youtube (except for a one-armed-guy playing, but no specification videos.

Does anyone know anything about these sets? Are they OK or should I stay away. Even though I'm not a drummer yet - and I porbably always gonna be an amature, but I don't wanna be hysterically dissapointed and grow out of the set in six months.

HXM?
    Anyone knows anything??

If not HXM, which set sould i go for ($900/£550/6000SEK)?

John

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hxm hd-008/10

all i can advise is not to go for the hd1, the bass pedal is terrible and it just does not feel right as it has no beater and you really dont have the option to upgrade as it a built in unit

I started my drumming with a second hand TD3kw and it was fine to start then i started upgrading the different pads to better feeling once, the pedals to better etc etc you get the idea

I bought the TD3 for £400 and i love it

User Info Menu

I can only comment on a PCY135 cymbal (3 zone cymbal).

Quote from Yamaha-

"A large, 13-inch cymbal pad. The cymbal pad consists of three separate zones, an edge zone, a bow zone, and a cup zone. This enables the pad to recreate the unique sounds that are produced when you hit different parts of a cymbal. The pad responds accurately to subtle differences in dynamics during performance and can faithfully reproduce delicate cymbal playing, powerful hits, and choking.
    Also, cymbal swinging and stick bouncing are reproduced realistically so that the pad feels natural even for drummers who normally perform on acoustic drums. Using this pad for cymbal performance training will also bring excellent results."

End quote-

My old DTXpressIII module is mated with DTXpressIV v2. pad set. The three zone cymbal's (PCY135 series) choke function works well with my DTXpressIII module but I don't have an answer to the DTXplorer module in question.
    Last edited by late8; 10-20-2010 at 04:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Congrats on making the decision to get a kit.

I have an e-drum kit, but I don't know anything about the HXMs. But, I have some advice anyway.

Be prepared to ALWAYS want something new, extra, or different.

So, IMO you should stick to your budget. Play as much as you can. And, enjoy!