Thread: howto do rolls?

User Info Menu

Default howto do rolls?

so i wanto learn howto do rolls but im not sure whereto begin and what i need to do, can anyone help me out here?

User Info Menu

Default Re: howto do rolls?

Do you mean press rolls, double stroke rolls, single-stroke rolls around the drums, or???

User Info Menu

Single and double stroke rolls:

Start out very slow and keep your stick height even:

RLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRL

After you have mastered this, try leading with your left hand:

LRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR

After you have tackled this, then try double strokes:

RRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLL

Try leading off with your left hand:

LLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRR

Keep practicing this until you can increase you "Beats Per Minute" (BPM) and the rolls becomes as smooth as glass.
    Last edited by late8; 10-20-2010 at 02:42 PM.

User Info Menu

It's all in your hand technique, in writing no one will be able to explain to you how to perform the perfect roll.
    Check out some youtube videos, some may be only on a snare and not a set of drums, but the applications are all the same to what you want to achieve.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

sorry i forget to clarify, im trying to learn to do double stroke rolls. i asked me dad who was in drum major in higschool and he said to get it so the stick bounces but from what im getting here are you just supposed to hit it twice like you usually would with just your wrist?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luckypunk View Post
    sorry i forget to clarify, im trying to learn to do double stroke rolls. i asked me dad who was in drum major in higschool and he said to get it so the stick bounces but from what im getting here are you just supposed to hit it twice like you usually would with just your wrist?

yeah thats the basics. as you start your rolls will sound loose. but as you get better they will sound more like a buzz roll. but a good drummer can tell the difference
    make your diddles tight and life live to the fullest

User Info Menu

The better you get on your double stroke rolls, you'll utilize a "bounce" for the second stroke but you must not pick up the bad habit of "buzzing" a double stroke roll. As you start out slow, keep that second stroke's clarity strong and clean and keep it distinct and sharp as you increase your speed.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJWldEMFem4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJWldEMFem4[/ame]

User Info Menu

Derrick Pope has some really great videos, I've always learned alot from watching him
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

start slow then gradually speed up when you feel you are ready. Make sure you have consistent strokes and good control. When you get fast enough, rather than just hit two strokes with each hand you will bounce the stick twice with each hand and alternate. This takes a lot of practice to be able to do though and you probably won't be able to immediately
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League