Thread: Need a Drumming doctor please :)

User Info Menu

Exclamation Need a Drumming doctor please :)

Hi, are there any drummers out there that are doctors aswell? I know its not really an appropriate public discussion but i need some help and advice and dont know where else to ask.Firstly im female and i have a lump in my breast.Im going in for an op on friday to get it removed.The thing is i asked the doctor when i can play drums again (considering im in the middle of a tour) and he said like about 4 or 5 days after.But he obviously doesnt know anything about drumming.But my concern is that besides the muscle still being bruised,things kinda move when i play hehehe.im worried that if i do play so soon it wont heal. Please if there is any1 who knows about this please let me know how long after i should wait before i do a gig.I play the night before i go in and supposed to play 5 days after.Help please will be greatly appreciated

User Info Menu

I am not out of school yet, and not studying to be an MD, but a DC (Doctor of Chiropractic), but if you are having surgery of any type, or any massive trauma to an area, you need to let it fully heal after the surgery. One of two things may take place, you may prolong the healing process to where if it were to take 5 days to heal, now it will take 10 to 15 days instead, or you may damage the muscle to where as you will never have it at 100% because you didn't allow it to heal properly.

Athletes go through this same scenario, and you can even ask them, and sometimes they will say it didn't heal right, well that is because you didnt allow enough time for the body to repair itself. But, if your Doctor said that it will be 4 to 5 days before you can play again, he might be basing this on the amount of tissue he is removing and the area from where it is coming from. So, you can do whatever you need to do in order to finish out the tour, but just remember that if you are experiencing pain while playing, and it is constant in that area, it may be your body trying to tell you that it is not ready for the stress that you are going to place on it.

I wish you the best in your surgery, and I am sure you will have a speedy recovery, just remember to be smart with what your body tells you. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Thank you for your advice.Ill see how i feel and if i have any slight pain im going to cancell a few gigs.I suppose my health is more important than a few gigs.and besides i did tell them i wasnt available and they still put gigs on those dates so i wont feel bad.Anyway thank you again and ill let you know the end result

User Info Menu

Take care of yourself. I broke my collerbone and tore my rotator cuff about 3 years ago and didn't give it time to heal right. I have'nt played the same since.

User Info Menu

I cracked a rib playing hockey one time and didn't give it time to heal and went back on the ice and this fat kid checked me and I felt some horible pain so don't do anything your having second thoughts about.

User Info Menu

Thanks every1,I decided to wait a bit longer till my next gig so they have a reserv to take over till im better.going in tommorrow morning...very scared but im sure all will be fine.Thanx for all your replies

User Info Menu

Good luck! Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    Good luck! Our thoughts and prayers are with you!
    I second that motion!!! Keep us posted!!!
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Hey all,
    I said i would keep you posted so heres to say that i had it taken out and it was a benine fibroid adinoma or something.all i know is everything was ok thank G-d! 10 days later (today) i had the stiches out and although still a bit of pain,doing much better.havent played drums yet,i got some1 to fill in for me for that one gig and we leave for our next tour in 2 days,so hopfully that will be ok.
    anyway just thought id say thanks for the thoughts,they helped
    Im back in action!
    Rix

User Info Menu

Good deal!! Glad everything worked out. Let us know how it goes when you're back on the throne...
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Very cool! Make sure you take it easy until your 100%!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads