Thread: snare buzz

User Info Menu

Default snare buzz

can't eliminate snare buzz when using T1. have new set of Mapex Horizons.
    any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: snare buzz

The only great luck I've had eliminating snare buzz was to tune my bottom snare head a little tighter than I usually like it and then seriously detuning the 4 lugs around the snare bed. It works but I think it compromises the sound of the snare.

I've had marginal luck trying to tune my snare high, the toms low and keeping the snares on the tight side. I still get buzz but it's very minimal. But again it's at the expensive of compromising the sounds of the drums.

I've pretty much resigned myself to live with it. I occasionally mess around with it, but always come back to the snare and tom tuning I like the best and unfortunately I get buzz there.

User Info Menu

Don't worry about it, unless it's really bad, no-one will hear it when you're playing normally.

Years ago, when electric drums were developing, D-Drum revolutionized sampled sounds. Took ages for their rivals to find out why their toms sounded so good. It turned out that rather than recording each tom in isolation, they'd recorded them with a full kit and let the snare buzz bleed in.

I once saw Simon Phillips do a drum clinic. Someone asked him how he stopped the snare from buzzing when he hit his toms. He said, "You mean like this?" He hit his 10" tom and the snare went, BBBZZZZZZZZZZZ. No-one had heard it at all during his playing to tracks or soloing.

Andy

User Info Menu

Thank you for your insight. I am a 53 yr. old new to the drumming world, & I have a lot to learn.

User Info Menu

Pd welcome to the forum and drumming. I was having this problem with my last kit. Some great advice already mentioned. I would just add that some E kits offer this exact sound to make it more realistic. So do your best to tone it down and become satisfied with the buzz thats left. F/T

User Info Menu

Welcome Pimpdaddy to the forum. I have had this problem before on many occasions and I found that the low tom is a bit tight so loosen it a bit at a time till the buzz goes away and if it doesn't then tighten the snare batter head a bit more. By experimenting with these two drums you will come to a conclusion. Don't forget what you loosen can be retightened again so you got nothing to lose by trying. Hope this helps

User Info Menu

Ive not been bothered by snare buzz in years so read below and see how I fixed the problem.
    Snare wires are not equal in quality. Personally, I use Puresound snare wires and have for a number of years. They are top quality although very pricey...you get what you pay for kinda thing. I use their "Equalizer" series...best I can remember, the set I have on my main kit snare is their 14 strand....which puts 7 strands on each side and No Wires in the middle, which greatly reduces snare buzz...gives the snare a tight dry snare sound.
    Proper tuning is absolutely necessary as well.
    I use the "Drum Dial" to get my head tension close to equal at all tuning lug positions and then I lightly mute the center of the head ( I tune batter and reso heads the same way, but the batter head I tune higher in tension and pitch than the reso head ) and lightly tap around each tuning lug about an inch from the lug to hear the harmonic tone and set them to the same tone, note or pitch. Tension on the *Drum Dial* for the batter head I place at around 84 to 86 and the reso tension I run around 74 to 76.
    Tama makes a similar precision tuning dial mechanism and both work the same...They measure "Head Tension". They allow you to re-tune any drum on your kit exactly the same way every time you change heads or just need to re-tune and to me, thats "Priceless".
    I re-check my toms and snare tuning by ear after each set, just to be sure none of the lugs have loosened off because it will change the tone of the drum, albeit slightly.
    Tuning in this manner has eliminated my snare buzz problems. You might not hear the buzz while youre playing live, but wait till some gets on a mic to make an announcement...then you will hear the snare buzz and if you're in the studio, that buzzing snare will be noticed immediately and it will have to be *fixed* immediately.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I just got rid of my snare. I couldn't take it anymore.
    - Tom

See the new Drum Bum Store!

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pimpdaddy View Post
    Thank you for your insight. I am a 53 yr. old new to the drumming world, & I have a lot to learn.
    PD, I'm right there with you. Started at 52 and I'm 55 now. This is a great place to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I just got rid of my snare. I couldn't take it anymore.
    Now why didn't I think of that?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!

User Info Menu

Too Funny Drummer! F/T

User Info Menu

Having said earlier about not worrying, it is worth making sure it's set up right. There is a really good bit on this video about setting up the snare wires correctly. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs"]YouTube - Bob Gatzen - Snare Drum Tuning[/ame]

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

I know I've said this at least 5 times here on DC but try and retune your snare, and make sure each rim corresponds with the other. Then put 1 piece of moongel on, and voila, all your snare problems are gone.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."