Thread: Playing shows with programs??

User Info Menu

Question Playing shows with programs??

my band opened for Powerglove back in April, and theyre songs have a lot of synth parts, and they were able to play that live, and it looked like the drummer was the one who was controlling that kind of stuff, but he wasn't wearing any headphones for a click to go along with a program or something, i just didn't know how he did it, and i dont really know where to go about researching that kind of stuff. does anyone have any ideas and can anyone kinda give me some ideas on what i would need to do that?
    12x5 Pork Pie Lil Squeeler Snare
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal w/red offset cam

www.facebook.com/thebattleofmidway

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing shows with programs??

You opened for Powerglove! MEAN!!

Are you sure that he wasn't wearing headphones or in-ear monitors? Otherwise he'd have to have perfect timing and start off the songs at the exact speed of the samples being played, which seems a bit too much. He could have also had a metronome that has different set speeds on it so he could stare at the blip. Or maybe the click was coming through his stage monitor.

I have a very basic idea of how to control samples while playing drums and I'm pretty sure it involves things like electronic pads and drum triggers. It's extremely common in metal bands for the drummer to connect triggers to his kick drum, so every time he plays the kick drum, the trigger picks up the vibration, sends the signal to the module which plays a sample (most commonly a "click" sound), sends the sample through the PA so the drummer and the audience can hear the kick drum(s) cut through the down-tuned guitars and bass. So maybe Bassil Silver was doing something along those lines.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Most top bands nowadays have in-ear monitoring to keep the onstage volume down. It's very unobtrusive, and my best guest is that it was this.

I've been in a couple of situations in my time when I had either a click, or on one occasion a bass line, in my onstage monitors, but 99% of the time there's a click in your ears.

Andy

User Info Menu

ya im familiar with triggers and stuff, and i didnt think about the in ear moniters im sure thats what it was.. thanks guys
    12x5 Pork Pie Lil Squeeler Snare
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal w/red offset cam

www.facebook.com/thebattleofmidway