Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrones

User Info Menu

Default Thrones

I'm looking into getting a throne and I need some advice. I've been using a modified workstool from my garage since I started playing and I've gotten tired of using it. It's uncomfortable, it's awkward to position, and it doesn't stay in place. It's a hydraulic stool, meaning it goes up and down with a lever kind of like an office chair, but it doesn't stay in once place. The longer I play coupled with my playing intensity, the faster it sinks down. It's usually pretty gradual and I don't notice it at first until it gets too low and I realize how uncomfortable the position is. So it's definitely time for a change. The only thing is that I don't really know the difference between a $50 throne and a $200 throne. The only real criteria I have is that I have a preference to the cushy motorcycle style seats as opposed to the round ones. The kit at my band's house has a seat like that and I love it (I'm gonna check and find out what it is the next time I'm down there). I'm probably going to hold out for a new seat for Christmas, so I'd like to get some information before I go to my parents about it. I already mentioned it to my mom last night and she said that I would have to figure out which one I want and then tell her because she wouldn't know which one to get otherwise. My price cap is probably no more than $125. After looking at a few things and knowing what my parents would be willing to spend, I'm guessing that would be reasonable.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thrones

Highly recomend the Tama 1st Chair series. Extremely comfy and well built, rock solid, and fully adjustable, and affordable too.

User Info Menu

If you could afford a little more I would recommend the Roc& Soc nitro without the backrest. Very comfortable and durable seat that I have ever owned.

User Info Menu

I've seen the Roc-n-Soc Nitro floating around on the internet. Looks like that would be my best bet. I like the gas cylinder in it, but it worries me that I would run into the same problem I have now with it sinking. I have a feeling that the Nitro gas cylinder would hold up better than a garage work stool, but I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on this without asking that question.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China

Click here!

User Info Menu

i bought a used sound percussion... it was $10, i love it.

User Info Menu

If you can try them out. I was amazed at the differences, some soft some hard and then the just right,lol. I was lucky enough to get my throne with the kit when I bought (Tama first chair/ motorcycle style) being it was the one I wanted but didnt have the coin to get it. I love layaway! Your local shop may offer layaway, Its a good way to get those more expensive additions. You could also have your parents get you a gift card from a desired retailer and spend it as you see fit. Just some thoughts. All the best on your choices. F/T

User Info Menu

I've been using the same Roc-N-Soc throne for nearly 15 years. They last.

User Info Menu

i love the roc-n-soc, i just wanted other toys instead.

User Info Menu

This is one of the things drummers always neglect. We spend all of our playing time sitting and yet tend to neglect researching or budgeting enough funds to purchase a grade A throne.
    Any high quality new throne will run $125.00 on up. I'd check out a few and make your decision based on that. The Pork Pie thrones are really comfortable. I have two dw hydraulic motorcycle seats with backrests 9120 AL. These are pricey but are the most comfortable thrones I have ever used. I also use a round top DW throne 9100 M for gigs.

It seems like the cheaper you go with a throne the faster the lower back and butt pain begin.
    "The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Highly recomend the Tama 1st Chair series. Extremely comfy and well built, rock solid, and fully adjustable, and affordable too.
    Thats what I use. I started out with a Roc n Soc Nitro w/backrest. After a month or so I felt it was indeed what it advertised, a 'backrest' and not lower back support, which I feel is important to have in the long run. Also I didn't like all the cheaper plastic parts. It just looked like more of an office chair to me. The Tama 1st Chair w/lumbar support is great! Quality all metal construction, comfortable and solid, great lumbar support and it looks like a drum throne that belongs behind a kit. Highly recommend!

User Info Menu

Here ya go!

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...t530-8068.html

The only negative comments I've read about this throne is the wing nut under the seat platform loosens up during playing and cause the throne to wobble. Similar comments in the DrumChat link as well as a MF review on this throne.
    Last edited by late8; 10-25-2010 at 12:36 PM.

Larrysperf Guest

I use the Gilbralter rock and soc with back rest and it is amazing. Its the motorcycle style, or tracter depending where your from lol. But will also say the Tamas are also very good

ThePloughman Guest

I have been on the same Roc N Soc since 1999. Forget the fancy dancy nitro stuff. Get the screw post.There is a whole lot less to go wrong. And while you are at it, get the back rest. I spent 20 years on my hard barely padded original Rogers throne and now, I seriously regret that. In twenty years when your bum starts to hurt after a half hour of playing, you will only be able to regret not spending the money for a decent throne.

User Info Menu

I love pork pie thrones. I'm an overweight heavyset guy, and I can do sets up to about 1.5hrs on a pork pie round. It's a bit past your limit, and the bicycles are totally past your budget, but I think they are just the most comfortable thrones out there.

User Info Menu

roc n soc
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

the Roc N Soc a very nice throne. I don't really like the Nitro model though, a little to bouncy for me. I have the non-hydraulic one.

the main difference in a cheap throne and an expensive one, is comfort. Yes, quality would be better but you'd have to be pretty rough on a $50 Sound Percussion throne to tear it up. the higher priced ones feel a little more "solid" also.

User Info Menu

I've had a chance to use different styles of thrones:

Roc-n-Soc nitro lunar

Ludwig

and Pearl.....

For comfort: Roc-n-Soc hands down winner.

User Info Menu

Yea, I'm definitely thinking roc n' soc. I hope my parents would be willing to get it. Even without the backrest would be fine, I could always add that later if I wanted.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

I have a Roc n Soc throne and a Tama (first chair) throne. Both are VERY GOOD thrones. The Roc n Soc I bought new in 1997! It's as good as new now! The Tama First Chair is an older model that I aquired when I purchased a used TD-10 kit. This throne is VERY WELL BUILT! Comfortable and solid!

User Info Menu

Gibraltar motorcycle style thrones are pretty dang comfortable.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

When I was at Sam Ash to test our some cymbals, the set that I tested them out on had a 150 dollar hydraulic throne and it sunk within half a minute of me sitting on it. I could barely even change the cymbal to test without it sinking. So beware, because I think was a gibralter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pearl mcx man View Post
    if you could afford a little more i would recommend the roc& soc nitro without the backrest. Very comfortable and durable seat that i have ever owned.
    x10
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Roc n Soc Lunar. Hydraulics but with zero bounce. 5 legs, very stable but pricey. Best investment drumming wise I ever made. Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Mapex T575A Double Braced Saddle Throne
    Try that one for size. £60 worth of awesomeness

User Info Menu

I want a new throne too. I've been using the same cheap Tama I bought 6 or 7 years ago when I first got my kit. It was cheap...like 50 or 60 bucks. It gets the job done, but it's not terribly comfortable.

I was sitting on a few last week at the shop. I liked the Roc N Soc A LOT! More so than the Tama 1st Chairs.