Thread: Mooskels...

User Info Menu

Default Mooskels...

A female friend of mine enquired as to whether she would turn into a bit of an arnold schwarzenegger if she started to play the drums.....I didn't really know what to say.....answers on a postcard....please.

User Info Menu

Cool Mooskels...

Hey, mex, tell your lady friend not to sweat it. (oops, bad pun!) Women's musculature is different than that of men. Even if she pounded drums day in and day out with the biggest bloody sticks she could find, her arms would not develop muscles the way yours or mine would. Like any form of exercise, she'd notice a little toning of her muscles, but she's not gonna become Ms. Terminator...

In my experience, I've noticed my forearms have grown larger since I've been drumming, but that seems to be a guy thing...and it may be that I play bongos and congas, which to me is more of a workout than play'n with sticks...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

It's not just a hand drum thing lol, i play mostly with sticks and I have forearms like popeye Picture of me
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Not to worry. I am a female drummer and no overgrown muscles here.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

Drumming is more of a low weight - high rep exercise, she would notice some toning in her arms. I am not sure about her forearms as this is probably specific to women's bodies and her own body type,

She would have to play for hours for any of this to become an issue though. It would also probably depend a bit on how she looks now, small skinny arms - a little toned, a little lean muscle showing - big flabby arms - a little toned lean muscle probably wouldn't show.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

Tell her she'll end up looking like Rachel McLish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mexicancounciloffood
    A female friend of mine enquired as to whether she would turn into a bit of an arnold schwarzenegger if she started to play the drums.....I didn't really know what to say.....answers on a postcard....please.
    This is not possible...... I lift very heavy weights at the gym 5 days a week and my "guns" are toned and I'm a lot stronger but I don't look like a dude.....

User Info Menu

BTW- women can make excellent workout partners. My wife was the best workout partner I ever had (back in the day). When we did squats I'd be wiped out all week, but she'd come back the next day and say "lets do squats again". She got so strong that most men wouldn't go near the dipping bar when she was using it. Too humiliating.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    BTW- women can make excellent workout partners. My wife was the best workout partner I ever had (back in the day). When we did squats I'd be wiped out all week, but she'd come back the next day and say "lets do squats again". She got so strong that most men wouldn't go near the dipping bar when she was using it. Too humiliating.
    That's right! My husband loves it when we work out together......

Do you remember how much she was squatting RD?

User Info Menu

We weren't maxing on squats. I always thought I'd blow something out. I've got a killer squat routine for ya if you're interested. It's a bit unorthodox, but it will turn you into a monster. Instead of doing low rep sets (10, 8, 6, etc) do three sets of 20. Use light weight, 135 is plenty for the average guy. Go all the way down 'til your butt touches the back of your calves and don't lock out at the top. Keep the tension on your legs, but go slow and controlled. By 18 on your last set you'll literally be seeing stars. It's very anarobic. When we were doing this I got the strongest I've ever been in my life. My bench press improved, as well as everything else. It was the only time in my life I got strong enough to do multiple sets of wide grip pull-ups behind my head. It just made my metabolism go nuts.

Oh, at this same time we were doing a wierd version of dipps. We would do them with head up, arched back, very controlled. It works the chest the same way as a decline press. Anyway, on the first set my wife could do 14!
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 04-18-2007 at 11:32 AM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Roaddebris]We weren't maxing on squats. I always thought I'd blow something out. I've got a killer squat routine for ya if you're interested. It's a bit unorthodox, but it will turn you into a monster. Instead of doing low rep sets (10, 8, 6, etc) do three sets of 20. Use light weight, 135 is plenty for the average guy. Go all the way down 'til your butt touches the back of your calves and don't lock out at the top. Keep the tension on your legs, but go slow and controlled. By 18 on your last set you'll literally be seeing stars. It's very anarobic. When we were doing this I got the strongest I've ever been in my life. My bench press improved, as well as everything else. It was the only time in my life I got strong enough to do multiple sets of wide grip pull-ups behind my head. It just made my metabolism go nuts.

Oh, at this same time we were doing a wierd version of dipps. We would do them with head up, arched back, very controlled. It works the chest the same way as a decline press. Anyway, on the first set my wife could do 14![/QUOTE

I can squat 135 (3 reps of 8) but not for 3 reps of 20. How much do you think for a chick, I'm pretty strong......

User Info Menu

Just use the bar. It'll feel silly because everbody else is pushing big weights, but trust me, it'll shred you. Just be really controlled, no horsing it, go all the way down, and don't lock out on top.

The funny part is at the end of your last set, when you're at like, 18, and you have this dinky weight up there and you're gasping for breath and having to grunt it out.

User Info Menu

I'm gonna try it, thanks RD

User Info Menu

Lol, squats fun stuff, good excersize for my position too

Im pretty sure women can destroy men in squats because men develope their mucles in their upper body mostly, and women get a lot more strength in their thighs and hips, at least what my mom tells me

Thats why the girls can whip that ball at like 65 MPH in softball, its all from the hips (yes my mom was a varsity pitcher in highschool)

User Info Menu

Legs are not what hold you back with squats (free bar), it's the lower torso. That's the weak link in the chain.

User Info Menu

That routine sounds similar to the Matrix system I heard of a little while back - and it as nothing to do with the Movie - end result is you can't even lift a bar without screaming like a little girly man and everyone thinks your a *****. In actual fact you have just shredded your muscles to a point of pure exhaustion and there is nothing left to actually lift with - ultimately builds immense amounts of strength and endurance though.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?