Thread: I want my shine back!

User Info Menu

Default I want my shine back!

Hi,
    My drum kit lives in my garage which has no central heating so there is often a variation of temperatures in there - in the summer it gets quite hot because the windows act like they would on a greenhouse, but in the winter it gets really cold as you might expect.
    I'm guessing that it is down to the different temperatures that all of the metal on my kit and hardware has lost most of its shine and growing some weird stuff on it (it looks similar to rust/algae).
    I've spoken to another drummer who says he knows someone who took apart all of the hardware and put it in his dishwasher and apparently it came out gleaming but i'm not sure if this would damage it in any way? (This is only for anything metal - I'm clever enough to know not to put my shells in the dishwasher!)
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Mapex M Birch - 10x8, 14x14, 16x16, 22x20 (kick), 14x5.5 (snare) - Less is More
    Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide (although tend to use just the one pedal at the minute)
    10" Sabian XS20 Splash, 14" Zlidjian ZXT hats, 15" Sabian AAXplosion, 18" Sabian AAXplosion, 20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    Apple Macbook Pro 15" (late 2008) running Logic and Mainstage linked up to a CME VX5 MIDI keyboard - My drumboard
    Practice your rudiments! - lack of doing so will catch up with you in later life, believe me...

User Info Menu

Default Re: I want my shine back!

Hmm. I doubt putting the metal stuff in the dishwasher would hurt anything. The hardest part would probably be to disassemble everything and then put it back together. Is there stuff growing on the shells, too? Or is it just on the metal?
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

its just on the metal although the wood could do with a bit of a polish
    Mapex M Birch - 10x8, 14x14, 16x16, 22x20 (kick), 14x5.5 (snare) - Less is More
    Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide (although tend to use just the one pedal at the minute)
    10" Sabian XS20 Splash, 14" Zlidjian ZXT hats, 15" Sabian AAXplosion, 18" Sabian AAXplosion, 20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    Apple Macbook Pro 15" (late 2008) running Logic and Mainstage linked up to a CME VX5 MIDI keyboard - My drumboard
    Practice your rudiments! - lack of doing so will catch up with you in later life, believe me...

User Info Menu

I found this to work really well with getting my hardware to shine....

Ofcourse, if its rusted, that a whole other issue :-)

User Info Menu

I don't think putting hardware in a dishwasher is a good idea, and having your kit in a boiling hot garage, then a freezing cold garage is doing any good for your shells- i would try and regulate the temperature better, and use some other method to clean your hardware...

User Info Menu

Disassemble all your hardware, clean (scrub) with rust remover product and ends with a product called Nevr-dull.

pssss ! You can try clean your hardware with coca-cola too, it does the job believe me.

LOOK
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

I would go with the Coca Cola cause it works well in toilet bowls. Once every 3 months I will pour a can of Coke in the toilet bowl and one in the tank and let it sit for an hour and flush and it comes nice and clean. For the hardware I would use a plastic tub not too deep just enough to cover the hardware and let if soak in a couple cans of Coke for an hour and see what happens. Good luck and this will not harm your hardware.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I would go with the Coca Cola cause it works well in toilet bowls.
    Coke is my favorite soft drink! Gosh....if it works so well in toilet bowls........well.....it must be why I'm so regular?

User Info Menu

i can sympathise with you about the random temperatures in geordieland (newcastle) as im from there too and we have anything but regular weather

Do you put them in cases as that might help to keep the cold off and the sun from them ?

I use autosol on all chrome stuff i have and that kinda combats the dullness and its supposed to put a coating on the chrome too
    Roland TD3, 14" Mapex VXB mesh head, CY8 x 2, VH11 hi hat, pd105 x 2, 14" floor tom with mesh head, KD8, MDS10 rack

User Info Menu

use fine steel wool on the chrome parts. I would think the inside parts of the lugs would rust bad if wet.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

ThePloughman Guest

No steel wool ...... no matter how fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I would go with the Coca Cola cause it works well in toilet bowls. Once every 3 months I will pour a can of Coke in the toilet bowl and one in the tank and let it sit for an hour and flush and it comes nice and clean. For the hardware I would use a plastic tub not too deep just enough to cover the hardware and let if soak in a couple cans of Coke for an hour and see what happens. Good luck and this will not harm your hardware.
    Wow, you could put your hardware in your toilet bowl and clean both of them at the same time. Soak, flush and rinse! It's that easy!

Seriously, I've heard of Coke being used for other tasks, but not for hardware. I'm going to have to experiment.

Especially after seeing this post by mind_drummer. What a difference!
    Quote Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
    Disassemble all your hardware, clean (scrub) with rust remover product and ends with a product called Nevr-dull.

pssss ! You can try clean your hardware with coca-cola too, it does the job believe me.

LOOK

User Info Menu

Coke will eventually end up in my toilet too.

But seriously though, auto section of store, chrome cleaner and rust remover works great and protects a little too. I use Turtle Wax version. Comes in fat little green plastic bottles.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

First. No steel wool on chrome. Second use a good auto chrome polish. and Use a auto Carnuba paste wax on your chrome when you are finished. And finally use the carnuba wax on the inside and outside of your shells before you put it all back together. This will help seal the interiors of your shells and not affect the tone of the drum. John