Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you beleive in extra-terrestrial visitors?

User Info Menu

Default Do you beleive in extra-terrestrial visitors?

The same way Drummer wondered who believes in ghosts and who not, I wonder:

Who thinks organisms from another planet have visited earth, and who doesn't?
    Last edited by Sugar-and-spice; 10-27-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: grammar ;)
    Erik

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do you beleive in extra-terrestrial visitors?

PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

I'm up in the air on that one. I certainly think it's possible but just don't have any idea.

(By the way, my sister's an alien)

User Info Menu

I was a first-hand witness to one of the largest, and most publicized UFO sightings in the history of the U.S.

I was driving through the Arizona desert heading over to watch a Spring Training game. I saw the lights and it was indeed freaky. Watched them for an hour or more right over head. I could see the string of lights about 2-3 miles apart as far as the eye could see. They were in perfect alignment and just stayed there. Early in the morning, I pull into a gas station in the town of Gila Bend. This old man in the booth looks as weathered as you can imagine. His skin reflecting the years in the dry desert sun, wrinkled and leathery, and tanned. So I walk up to him and ask "Ok, so what are those lights in the sky that I've been seeing west of here?". His response was right out of a Rod Serling Twilight Zone episode. He looks up over the top of the cash register and says "You mean the UFOs?" and then lets out a blood curdling laugh, kind of a cackle if you will. M. Night Shyamalon would have been proud. It made the hair on my neck stand up like it did when Haley Joel Osment whispered "I see dead people".

So what to my untrained eye and sensibilities seemed almost unexplainable, soon became clearly understood as I discovered the truth...which made total sense after the fact. I refused to let my imagination take me away. Unfortunately, many, many people did not come to the same conclusion.

What I later saw on TV, nationwide network TV at that, appears to be the biggest case of mass hysteria and media hyperbole that ever existed.

Look up Phoenix Lights from the mid 1990's.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but it is my only experience.

User Info Menu

I believe the Universe is teaming with life. There is nothing so special about our tiny planet Earth. Humanity is primitive as is our technology. Yet for some reason we like to believe we are superior intelligent flawless beings.

If you had the ability of intergalactic travel, would YOU waste your time visiting a (tiny) planet where the inhabitants were fighting each other, destroying their ecosystem, were only concerned about material possessions, profit, and worshipped the lowest of the low of their species?

In short...I believe there is other life "out there"...but if any of it can travel the vast distances of space on a whim, I don't think they'd concern themselves with our planet. There are many, many, much larger planets and stars out there where they could harvest resources, and possibly make friends. Humans......we can't even get along with ourselves....much less welcome an intergalactic species. IF they came, we'd probably be erased from existence within minutes.

User Info Menu

Does Alienware count?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Dang Sabers...
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

I believe! Hence the alien mural on my ribs ;]
    There is no possible way, no matter how intelligent we think WE are, that we can say whether or not there is more or less intelligent life within this enormous galaxy that we've only had the privilege to explore a fraction of, if that.
    They will be here soon enough O_O lol
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Is there intelligent life elsewhere in the universe? I guarantee it.
    Have they visited Earth? Maybe. I have seen things I can't explain, though...
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    I was a first-hand witness to one of the largest, and most publicized UFO sightings in the history of the U.S.

I was driving through the Arizona desert heading over to watch a Spring Training game. I saw the lights and it was indeed freaky. Watched them for an hour or more right over head. I could see the string of lights about 2-3 miles apart as far as the eye could see. They were in perfect alignment and just stayed there. Early in the morning, I pull into a gas station in the town of Gila Bend. This old man in the booth looks as weathered as you can imagine. His skin reflecting the years in the dry desert sun, wrinkled and leathery, and tanned. So I walk up to him and ask "Ok, so what are those lights in the sky that I've been seeing west of here?". His response was right out of a Rod Serling Twilight Zone episode. He looks up over the top of the cash register and says "You mean the UFOs?" and then lets out a blood curdling laugh, kind of a cackle if you will. M. Night Shyamalon would have been proud. It made the hair on my neck stand up like it did when Haley Joel Osment whispered "I see dead people".

So what to my untrained eye and sensibilities seemed almost unexplainable, soon became clearly understood as I discovered the truth...which made total sense after the fact. I refused to let my imagination take me away. Unfortunately, many, many people did not come to the same conclusion.

What I later saw on TV, nationwide network TV at that, appears to be the biggest case of mass hysteria and media hyperbole that ever existed.

Look up Phoenix Lights from the mid 1990's.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but it is my only experience.
    Wow!

User Info Menu

No first hand experience on this one for me but until its proven true or false I will remain open to the possibility of it being true on the topic of aliens, big foot and the lock ness monster too.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I'm 100% sure there is other life out there somewhere, but I doubt they've ever visited Earth.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Hell yeah!
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

I think that there's tons of life out there and that some have probably visited Earth at some point. There's tons of evidence from ancient cultures that they've had some influence at some point. I've seen enough things on the Discovery channel about this that it's not something I believe blindly.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Even if you figured the smallest percentile possible from our unknown knowledge of how much potential life there is in the WHOLE UNIVERSE, the vast and unbelievable sum that you would come up with is still an astronomical percentage of the potential of intelligent life out there, given the huge number of suns and planets. Not even counting single cell types, or plant life. So I feel that there is intelligent life out there. Why haven't we been visited? How do we know we haven't been? If they can travel vast distances, they would be able to observe us if they wanted to without us knowing it I'm sure. The book Chariots of the Gods is an eye opener for sure. It suggests that we have been visited. The evidence is compelling. 2 of my brothers, myself and my mom many moons ago saw something that we had no explanation for. An oval shaped object, in the daytime, hovered in the air for like 40 minutes about 1000 yards from us. Then it went straight up super fast with no sound and was out of site in seconds. This was in Warren, Mi. in 1974. I was 18 years old. It has a way of changing how you look at things in your life.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

i dont understand how it would even be possible for there not to be life somewere else. The universe is so big you can't even possibly comprehend how big it is. Theres so many galaxies, solar sysetems, planets, etc there has to be life on some of them. Its also possible that there are other universes
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

I watch a lot of science on some of the off channels. One theory is that we are a world within a speck... that could be part of, let's say, a spoon. That we are so small we fit in a cell within a spoon (or any object). It's hard to imagine something like this but think of where we came from and where we are now. Look at the things that have been done that were once thought impossible. This sheds some light on the possibilities.

User Info Menu

You guys all give very compelling stories. Great food for thought.

Like drummer said we might be a cell of something else. Imagine you are one single DNA cell in the thumbnail of another being. I envision that image of zooming into a guy looking at his thumb and then we zoom into the thumbnail and further microbial zooming to hit his cell and then our universe, our solar system, our planet, our house and someone typing on Drum Chat. Don't anyone look over their shoulder now.

I'll leave that thought in your mind.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Mathematically speaking it's extremely likely there is other life in the Universe. Mathematically speaking it's extremely unlikely they have or will visit earth during it's relatively short lifespan.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I watch a lot of science on some of the off channels. One theory is that we are a world within a speck... that could be part of, let's say, a spoon. That we are so small we fit in a cell within a spoon (or any object). It's hard to imagine something like this but think of where we came from and where we are now. Look at the things that have been done that were once thought impossible. This sheds some light on the possibilities.
    This pretty much sums up my belief system, it is crazy to think about though so it seems that alot of folks would want to just shoo the idea away and stick to something more readily available to believe in like everyone else.
    And with that, we have evolved as a race creating systems and ideas that have remained somewhat the same (with the exception of the Earth being geocentric and flat haha).
    So how are we to know that in another world, made of different compounds and DNA strains, that there aren't some lifeforms capable of creating crafts to carry them throughout the galaxy?
    Perhaps we are the planet being laughed at, newer in age and wisdom, but acting like we have infinite knowledge. We can hardly get to Mars!
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

You'll enjoy "Ancient Aliens" on the History Channel. There's a group of people who are convinced aliens have visited the Earth throughout recorded history. They present various evidence and speculation of varying quality.

Among the highlights:

-Noah's Ark only becomes truly plausible if you look at it as a genetic data bank, similar to the Doomsday seed vaults.

-nearly every religion and culture tells of their origin and divinity coming down from or ascending to the sky.

-paintings are scrutined from the Black Death era, and some speculate that the vision of death with a scythe resemble a "gray" in a cloak. There is a fog surrounding the representation of death, and speculation that the scythe is actually distributing an aerosol weapon.

-there's the Starchild skull, which an earlier special explored and postulated in may be a hybrid between an ET and a human, as the mitochonrial DNA could be ID'd but not the paternal DNA.

Then again I've heard some of the really loony stuff:

-the Bermuda Triangle being a defense grid for an underwater UFO base

-that the Earth is actually hollow, and UFOs travel in and out

- that the "grays" are actually robotic drones

I'm not sure where I stand. Until you've effectively searched every square inch of existance and come up empty, the possibility for ET to exist can't be ruled out.

However, I have severe doubts about the conspiracy theory idea that various world governments have known about their existance and have kept it secret since the 1950s at least.

The US Government just isn't cohesive enough to have everybody across the board agree that they'll squabble about everything else BUT this. It's politics- people argue about absolutely everything.

But, if you grant the US Government that capability, then other crazy stuff becomes plausible, like steering hurricanes, the Philadelphia experiment, killing JFK, staging 9/11, and the list can go on and on. Then again, MK Ultra and the Tuskegee Airmen stand out as a few things that seem beyond belief, yet they actually happened.

I will grant the possibility that ET may exist. I will further grant the possibility that they may have had a direct role in shaping our social development. But I will draw the line at accepting the idea that Megatron in frozen beneath the Hoover Dam.

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post

I was driving through the Arizona desert
    Instantly I thought of:

This is one of the only films that has truly frightened me.
    Last edited by MrB; 10-28-2010 at 03:01 AM.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

The universe is too big for us to be the only ones...
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

There is no such thing as big green men visiting from other planets.......... some people have to sleep alone at night ya know!!!
    So stop trying to scare me and lets talk about our happy place.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I definitely believe in other life... i agree with others the universe is so big that somewhere besides earth the conditions have to be right to sustain life... the chance that there is no where else that could sustain life is highly unlikely it would seem and if we were alone that would be sort of frightening i think

One theory i heard was that some aliens could also be US as time travellers from the future who zoom back to Earth to observe us in the past, whether for their research or entertainment or whatever. So they are US in the future and by this time they have all this technology so they time travel back and see us in the present

I also don't find it hard to believe in different dimensions or parallel dimensions, the idea doesn't seem that radical... Aliens or entities or spiritual beings or anything could be travelling in those places... I also believe in Heaven and Hell and that there must be some sort of sentient being (God), because if there wasn't some sort of being than I don't know how matter in the Universe would have came to be if in the beginning there was nothing.... in a science project in school recently it was about the origin of life ON EARTH but still nobody could explain the origin of everything, the universe, etc.
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

maybe we'll find out soon.... Dec 21,2012
    Pearl Reference #148 Emerald Fade

6X12
    6X15
    6X18
    6X21
    8X7
    10X8
    12X9
    14X11
    14X14
    16X16