Thread: Lessons: Important?

User Info Menu

Default Lessons: Important?

Did you ever take lessons? Do you think they're important? Online drum lessons?

I never took lessons and I've been playing nearly 6 years. I personally don't find them to be that big of a necessity simply because you can get most of it online. I've learned everything with an ipod. I started playing to music and to this day that's still how I progress. I've looked online for some help with technique and other small things, but I don't know if lessons would be a good investment for me.

Whaddayall think?
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lessons: Important?

I think private lessons from a good teacher is important (if you can get it). I have never had a lesson, but grew up in school band where I was always around other drummers and music teachers. But, even then, I have many bad habits that a good teacher in the early years would have probably straightened out. Nowadays, the internet is a big plus...but probably does not replace a good teacher.

User Info Menu

I recommend one on one drum lessons with a private teacher. Online lessons leave a lot of important details out and students have individual needs that need to be met.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I recommend one on one drum lessons with a private teacher. Online lessons leave a lot of important details out and students have individual needs that need to be met.
    I agree, theres only so much you can get from a book or video and a teacher can help with these items.

I took piano lessons for about 7 years before playing the drums, which I also took lessons for in the very beginning.

I recently decided to teach myself the violin because of already knowing how to read music and keep time.........guess what?......I decided to get myself a teacher because the online lessons and instruction book just didnt offer every piece of knowledge I was interested in knowing.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I agree that if someone can afford lessons, it is an important asset. The truth is that students of an instrument don't always know what it is that they need to learn, so it's possible to miss something along the way. A little technique tip here, or an assist with music theory there, can be very helpful. Of course, if you are thinking of becoming a pro drummer, having a teacher that is a pro can be just the resource you need to help you plan your course.

Personally, I really like having a drum teacher because sometimes a new skill is more difficult, and it feels like I'll never master it (I have accepted that learning new skills is more difficult at my age). It takes perseverence, that's where my teacher helps a lot. If I get down about something, she encourages me by reminding me how far I've come. She gets to keep her eye on the big picture, while I am focused on the details. That's very important to me.

If you're in a school band program, you will automatically have some of these advantages, but a good teacher can still offer individual help that is specifically taylored to your needs.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Even if you were born with a natural gifted pair of hands to play drums, you still need to guide those hands and develop your potential. Whether it be books, teacher, online, etc you still need to know how. There's even long time professionals who still take lessons to stay on top of their game and keep their skills solid. I think there's always something to learn from lessons.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Everyone of my students is different....and they all have little quirks that make them tick. It takes me about a month to figure out the most effective way to teach each student, and also to figure out there "pace"...which is probably more important than anything else.

Besides that....a video can't help you if your doing something wrong. A video can't encourage you and monitor your progress. Most of all....a video can't help you work out a problem when you are getting frustrated.

There are fundamental things you can learn....yes. But, a good teacher will maximize your learning experience ten fold over any book or video alone.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

My joining this forum dates the day I began playing haha, I've never taken any lessons and learned pretty much the same way by playing to my favorite songs and looking up the occasional YouTube video for technique.
    I had the chance to take lessons at a Baltimore School of Drumming and I really wish I had taken that opportunity, as mentioned in previous posts, I feel like my jamming relies solely on the techniques I've set in place for my self to learn songs from Zeppelin, Chili Peppers, Clapton, favorites like that.
    While I receive a good bit of acclaim for the parts I came up with in my own projects, I have no way of being certain I can play the same thing over once it's been recorded, and worse, I don't even know what I'm playing half the time! lol
    So I advocate private lessons 100%, even though learning rudiments SUCKS like we all know, those are the annoying things that will make you one hell of a drummer someday.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Lessons will speed up your journey to becoming and sounding like a professional drummer. There are those who defied this logic and are professionals drummers today but for rest of us who have taken private lessons, there's no looking back.

Take a chance and take a few private lessons from a reputable teacher even if it's only for a month or two. You won't reget it. It won't break the bank in most cases and you'll cherish the one on one crtique you get from your teacher. You'll get a kick out of the way a teacher will mimic your mistakes or will expose lack of technique. It's a real eye opener for sure.
    Last edited by late8; 10-29-2010 at 04:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes. If anything, a good teacher motivates you and your skills increase much faster. However, having said that, two of my favourite drummers (Gene Hoglan and Daniel Liljekvist) are self taught, and they're amazing.
    Last edited by xweasel; 10-30-2010 at 02:02 AM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    ... even though learning rudiments SUCKS like we all know, ....
    I don't share your attitude about this. I actually liked learning the rudiments and still enjoy practicing them to this day. It's all a mind set. Sure, like anything, it's hard at first. But with the right attitude and some self-discipline, you'll be shedding those things like they're easy in no time.

User Info Menu

+1 drummer, I find great joy in rudiments. Though I also agree at first they sucked.

As far as lessons go give them a try, No obligation in checking it out to see if it rite for you. Only benefit will come of it. F/T