Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fatter snare sound (Catalina)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fatter snare sound (Catalina)

More ring and fatter are not exactly achieved the same way (IMO).

You started by wanting fatter... so I recommend either 2-ply heads or something with a dot. Thicker should get you a fatter sound (if I understand what you are looking for) over what you have now.

A J1 will achieve the _exact_ opposite of fat... it is the thinnest ply you can buy (7 mil vs 10 mil of a G1 or Remo Amb). Don't go there if you want a fatter sound. It may be brighter per se, but thin heads give less ring and sustain.

If you want some ring with your fat (as opposed to the Evans HD or ST dry, for instance), I think your best bet is a coated Remo Controlled Sound (aka reverse Black Dot), especially since you don't hit too hard. Other options would be Ambassador X or even Emperor. On the Evans side, you could try a G2 or EC2 snare (with a dot).

But, if you haven't tried it... start with the Remo CS dot. It just nails it time after time on a snare and has been used for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    Well, if it allows more ring I need it, and if it makes a 'fatter' drum sound I want it. Durability isn't an issue, I don't hit really really really hard, I just do lots of rimshots (which doesn't harm the head as much as it does the stick). Thanks for all of these recommendations guys! I'll be checking them out!!!
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fatter snare sound (Catalina)

I think you misunderstood 'more ring.' I just mean there NEEDS to be ring, I do not want a head that is completely muffled. It sounds likes the heads mentioned would work. I have moon gel if I truly need a 'dead' or 'muted' sound. Thanks again!