Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fatter snare sound (Catalina)

User Info Menu

Default Fatter snare sound (Catalina)

I have two snares, one from my Gretsch Catalina club (5"x14") and one from a Peace set (it's metal, I believe 6"x14" possibly). The Gretsch I cannot get a fat tone at ALL, it just sounds either really loose or sounds plastic-y. Should I replace the heads (G1's) with something like J1's for a more warmer sound?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fatter snare sound (Catalina)

Zack, you might want to try an Evans Genera HD Dry head.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Zack, you might want to try an Evans Genera HD Dry head.
    +1. Thicker/more muffled heads will give you a fatter sound than a G1. Also try tuning the reso lower than the batter.
    Matt

User Info Menu

The reso lower hasn't done too much but I'll try more...I wanna try a J1 head but will also try this Genera one, too.

User Info Menu

maybe try a pinstripe ,should give you a deeper tone .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

The G1 just sounds outrageously high pitched and even plastic sounding. I have to play with headphones no matter what now it sounds sound high pitched.

User Info Menu

Zack, it's the very reason that I use the Genera HD Dry head. It's 2 ply with an overtone control ring, plus small perimeter vents that add additional overtone control. When I bought my Catalina kit, I saw the kit set up at a local music store with the Genera HD Dry head on the snare. That was an amazing sounding snare. It wasn't until I go the kit that I realized that the sound that I wanted from the snare could not be obtained with the stock snare, so I bought the HD Dry head. I controls the overtones and maked the Fat come out. Now, the Catalina snare is a 14X6, while yours is a 14X5, but it should still take you a long way toward what you want.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

+ 1 on the Genera HD dry but you could also try the EC frosted with reverse dot it has an amazing sound too.

User Info Menu

Or a powerstroke from remo. I would also start over with the tensioning. Pull the snares off and both heads. I find that I can get the best sounds from my snare drum when I tension the resonant first.
    Last edited by Kazaamski; 11-01-2010 at 01:49 PM.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I had an Evans ST Dry head on my crappy old Swingstar snare. Sounded pretty good. I just put a Power Center Reverse Dot on it and I really dont like it.

User Info Menu

Don't know how it would work on a Catalina, but I was wanting the same sound from my Pork Pie Big Black. Put on a Vintage Emperor, and problem was solved. Good luck!

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

I also have the Evans Genera Dry head on my jazz catalina snare. I am very very happy with the sound. Actually the guy I bought them from had it on there and I was so impressed with the sound I left it on.

User Info Menu

Wow thanks guys! To be honest I like some ring...do these Genera's kill all that ring?

User Info Menu

If you like some ring, I could recommend the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot. I got that one for my 14X5 Pearl Free Floating snare, and it sounds great. It also gives you the ability to get some extra ring by playing out toward the edge. The HD Dry head with definitely fatten the sound, but it also takes out the ring.

User Info Menu

Okay! Maybe I'll check that out. I just need a fatter sound but that ring is crucial to some of the stuff I like to play. I do also want to try those J1 heads, too, so maybe I'll buy both and try 'em out.

User Info Menu

Maybe you could try a Genera Dry (without the "HD") which is the same head as the HD except in a single-ply version. I used to have that head on my snare and it gave a nice fat sound with a bit of ringing.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Yohin, that is another idea! Might try that instead, thanks man!

User Info Menu

I bought a couple of the ST dry heads yesterday. They have just a touch of ring to them...which I kill with moongel.

User Info Menu

The ST and Genera seem the same except for some thickness difference...hm. And, good, I need ring!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    The ST and Genera seem the same except for some thickness difference...hm. And, good, I need ring!
    Ya, I think the Genera is just a little thicker than the ST.

User Info Menu

What would that do generally? More durable? The lighter ones are ringier usually, correct?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    What would that do generally? More durable? The lighter ones are ringier usually, correct?
    As for ringing...I'm not entirely sure...but thinner = more ring would make sense. The HD in Genera HD means "heavy duty". The ST means "super tough". I had great life out of the first round of ST I bought. A solid couple years...probly longer than I should have but it didn't break. I hit pretty hard too.

User Info Menu

Well, if it allows more ring I need it, and if it makes a 'fatter' drum sound I want it. Durability isn't an issue, I don't hit really really really hard, I just do lots of rimshots (which doesn't harm the head as much as it does the stick). Thanks for all of these recommendations guys! I'll be checking them out!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    If you like some ring, I could recommend the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot. I got that one for my 14X5 Pearl Free Floating snare, and it sounds great. It also gives you the ability to get some extra ring by playing out toward the edge. The HD Dry head with definitely fatten the sound, but it also takes out the ring.
    Hey Bob u sure are coming along with your knowledge and helpful advice on this site. [WTG] Power Dot reverse heads really do give a nice lower fundamental tone with some nice open ring ability away from the centre, ring control is a snip with different size moongel ,depending on room/atmospherics etc etc

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Wow that reverse dot DOES look nice...and cheap, too!