Thread: New Drums

User Info Menu

Default New Drums

My drum set kind of sucks.
    so my question is should I save up forever to buy a new set altogether, or buy it in peiceswhich sounds to me like a better idea. And also is it good to buy used sets? because that's what I'm thinking about doing.

User Info Menu

used set's are fine if u know what to look for....and i wouldn't bother with a brand new set unless ur current set is from walmart....but as long as it's not from walmart then i'de do some research about good heads and whatnot cuz with the right heads and such u can make an ok set sound pretty darn good and alot of the sound has to do with how the heads are tuned and stuff....it may not be the set itself...and ur current heads may even be ok...so first i would research how to tune heads right and what little tricks u can do to them to sound better like i always tape a folded up paper towel to the outer edge and that elliminates alot of unwanted overtones...and also just like better hardware (ie. pedal,stands,cymbals....) makes a big diff too...so in conclusion...u can make a crappy set sound good...unless it's from walmart...then burn it..j/k...u can even make a walmart set sound decent if u know what ur doing. it just won't last long...good luck...if u want anymore specific tips on how to make certain compnents sound better don't hesitate to ask...

User Info Menu

Default New Drums

In my circle of drumming buddies, I know of nobody who buys a drum set one different piece at a time, unless they're buying a different snare (a piccolo snare that they use in place of a regular snare), or adding a side or floor tom of the same line to their existing set. You run the risk of putting low-quality side toms, let's say, with a killer bass drum and a so-so snare (not to mention hardware varies among different manufacturers).

Have you checked with other drummers who are selling an older set because they're upgrading to a new one? Might talk with them about their experiences--what works for them and what doesn't. Besides, as utopia says, with the right heads and tricks, you can make that "kind of sucks" set a killer set...

Good luck, bro'!

User Info Menu

Hay check on e-bay alot of times people don't know what they have or are in a hurry to get the money for their own upgrade.Especially cymbals. Know your drum brands and Series. Know your shells maple,birtch, mahogoney,etc. and ply's of wood to create the thickness of the shell. Ask the seller questions. He doesn't want to lie to you because you can report to the e-bay people if your not satisfied with your purchase. Check responses on his past sales the seller made. I believe that if your patient you will find what you are looking for and at a decent price. Do research on the internet and compare pricing. Goggle that particular drum set and read the reviews.Don't be afraid of SOME older,wore out looking drums from the 60's and 70's. Gretch is a good example. Muffling nobs for both heads on the toms.Nobody does that anymore. Great sounding drums. You can rewrap or paint them if your not to happy with the look butthat won't change the tone.Good Luck.

User Info Menu

Timer has a good point. Also, check www.craigslist.com for some kits in your area that are for sale. Sometimes people have to move so they got to get the kit out of the house asap. Good deals are on and gone in 15 minutes sometimes, so you have to watch it regularly. The really cool thing is that most sellers will let you try the kit out before you buy it, so you don't have to worry about getting scammed and you know exactly what your getting.

Hey, I just became a senior member!!! Yay!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads