Page 97 of 115 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 2859

Thread: So what drum related stuff did you do today?

User Info Menu

Default Re: So what drum related stuff did you do today?

I set up my new popcorn snare! wooooooot

User Info Menu

Changed the head on my Rogers 4x14 piccolo, tuned my 6.5x14 CB700 snare also met a guitar player at my gig last Friday night. Putting together a song list and practiced for 2 hrs.

User Info Menu

A drummer buddy of mine is playing tonight. I offered him the use of one of two snare drums I have: an acrolite or a Taye chrome over brass. He chose the acrolite.

User Info Menu

Swapped out the clear Pinstripes on my SPL Bop kit for coated Ambassadors. I really like the change, really woke up the 13" floor Tom. The 10" has more of a "bongo" sound that it did, but its more warm and bright. I think if I mess with the reso tuning, I can minimize the bongo-ish effect. Also, picked up a brand new Yamaha SS650 series light-weight double braced snare stand for $45. Big improvement in weight reduction over my current super-heavy-duty Pearl stand. Should make hauling the hardware bag a little easier.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Put the finishing touches on a work bench I built in my "drum room". Since I have several Ludwig restoration projects in the works, I figured it was time to build a proper work place. I built it all from construction lumber & plywood I had laying around. The doors & drawers are from an old kitchen cabinet I salvaged. I got rid of most of the lumber I had laying around for years and spent less than $100 on misc. hardware, pegboard, etc..

I'll post a pic tonight...
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Practiced my lesson for 45 minutes and then played along to a couple of songs. Will likely go back and do all my lesson again later as I am stuck in the house due to the snow.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I cleaned the crap out of my drum area now that I set the PDP kit back up.

I also added a new stereo to see if I can play along to music at full volume hehe

User Info Menu

Took advantage of a quite Christmas Day to finish my 13x10 Rogers tom-to-snare conversion. Installed the internal muffle and added a reverse dot on the coated ambassador batter head. I was still getting a lot more snare decay than I wanted, and the snares were extremely sensitive and active (no matter how much I tightened them). So...I took the bottom head off and reworked the snare bed. I extended it from 6"W to almost 9"W, extending it beyond the closest lug on each side and almost halfway to the next lug. This allowed me to put a more gradual taper on the snare bed ramps and having them extend fully past the lugs on each side allows the head to conform to the snare bed much better. I then put a full round-over on the bearing edge in the snare bed area, gradually transitioning it to a very sharp dual 45 edge between the beds. The result was a snare side head that actually tuned up instantly and smoothly like it should and snare wires that seat much more evenly and decisively on the head. It's still very sensitive, but the snare decay is more controlled. I'm guessing that's a result of the rounded and wider bearing edge in the snare bed doing a better job of controlling the bottom head. Coincidentally, it allows a lower reso tension and deeper sound. I'll try it out again at band practice tomorrow. What a great way to spend a Christmas!
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Gave my youngest son a 5 piece junior kit for Christmas and got to see the best surprised/excited face of the year. We had drum battles all day.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

"I also added a new stereo to see if I can play along to music at full volume hehe"

I wonder what Cailyn and Harper are going to think about that.

User Info Menu

"What a great way to spend a Christmas"

A blonde and scotch always worked for me.

User Info Menu

New Evans UV-1's installed on 10",12",13",14" and 16". Had to settle for G1 for the 8". Ordered a G2 for the 18". They make the Great Gretsch sound even better!

User Info Menu

Got bored so I swapped out my Drum Crafts for my Saturn's without moving any hardware (except the tom mounts). Even the snare stayed in place! BEFORE AND AFTER

User Info Menu

Being crushed by an ice storm yesterday and today. I can't travel to make sales calls, so I've been working on stripping the wrap off some old Ludwig shells. I'm using a space heater to warm the shells up, Goo-Gone to release the adhesive and a putty knife. I got the wrap off the 14x10 tom without too much hassle (just very time consuming) and zero damage to the outer ply of Mahogany. Started on the 28x14 bass shell today....which is Another story. It's being a real "bear". Already pulled up some small areas of the outer ply, and I'm being as careful as I can and working slow. The shells are not particularly valuable (marching bass and toms) and the kit will be wrapped, so a little damage in a few spots is not a big deal. It's a good way to spend a winter day!
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Bought a partial kit, hardware, and cymbals off of Craigslist. Cleaning them to see what I got and worth keeping.

User Info Menu

i posted on DC
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Jammed on my buddy's Yamaha kit at his home studio and wrote another original tune...

User Info Menu

Recorded and uploaded new video of my Yammy's.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Played my spare snares for 15 min. each., incl. my 13",metal, PDP piccolo.Turns out I like them all for different reasons. My Pearl, brass free-floater's still my fav. Oh, well....
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Looked into a the Gibraltar Stealth Rack System. It's just two sections but I don't want to hack up my existing rack to make one.

Edit:

I found this cheaper, brand new. I'll get a pipe cutter and modify it.

Last edited by late8; 01-23-2017 at 03:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Two hour practice session.

User Info Menu

My parts finally came in from Drum Factory Direct. Changed out broken snare wires 16 count to a 20 count on a Mapex Black Panther 13x3 piccolo. Also changed the head from Remo to Attack heads. Never used them before does anyone have experience or tried/uses these heads? Practice for about hour and a half for a gig in April.

User Info Menu

Changed heads from Evans EC2's to Ebony Ambassadors.

I have them tuned fairly close to what I want, BUT, I was using my Black Magic snare and when I put the snares on I got a lot of snare buzz. That called for 2 fingers of scotch.

I then put my Black Beauty SS on the set and still got snare buzz, so I tried the Supralite, still snare buzz. 2 more fingers of scotch.

Next came the DynaSonic, which had literally no snare buzz.

I like my snares to be crisp, which they all are, so I don't understand why the DynaSonic has virtually no snare buzz.

When I check the head tension (batter and reso) on my snares, they are all in the same ballpark. Anybody know why that is?

User Info Menu

The snare bed profile and snare wire design have a lot to do with it.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I bought a set of Evans "black chrome" heads for my old Tama Swingstar. Been working on cleaning the kit up all week and it's turning out beautifully. I'll post pics of the restoration when I get it done.
    -Brian