Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: So what drum related stuff did you do today?

User Info Menu

Default Re: So what drum related stuff did you do today?

played a gig, moved gear, and practiced for about 2 hours. Xylo and drumset
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Well, I started to put new heads on an Imperialstar snare I snagged. I got the bottom head on and was tightening up the snare strainer and my old key broke. Of course I have another key, a really nice Evans I bought recently, but the lugs on this Tama snare are too small for the Evans key.

So...off to the drum shop to get another key tomrrow. I still have a batter head to put on this snare and 2 more heads to put on an old school Slingerland snare I've got.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Well, I started to put new heads on an Imperialstar snare I snagged. I got the bottom head on and was tightening up the snare strainer and my old key broke. Of course I have another key, a really nice Evans I bought recently, but the lugs on this Tama snare are too small for the Evans key.

So...off to the drum shop to get another key tomrrow. I still have a batter head to put on this snare and 2 more heads to put on an old school Slingerland snare I've got.
    I always hear of people breaking keys....not really sure how this happens on drumset/concert style drums.
    that's too bad man.
    what kind of evans key did you get?

User Info Menu

Oh god...

Played in Jazz Band before school. Failed at fills. Half day, hung out with the rest of drum line at lunch, went to marching band practice (1st bass) for 2 hours, another hour of sectional working on music for our last competition on Saturday (!!), then came home and practiced drumset for about 15 min. working on stuff my teacher gave me. Also attempted to play a triple stroke roll, and it failed miserably on the left hand XD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wataru View Post
    Oh god...

Played in Jazz Band before school. Failed at fills. Half day, hung out with the rest of drum line at lunch, went to marching band practice (1st bass) for 2 hours, another hour of sectional working on music for our last competition on Saturday (!!), then came home and practiced drumset for about 15 min. working on stuff my teacher gave me. Also attempted to play a triple stroke roll, and it failed miserably on the left hand XD
    Triple stroke rolls are way hard. Practice slowly. I set the click to a moderate tempo and play triplets. They suck to practice, but sound cool when you get them right
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Drove. Taught. Drove back home and wasted a lot of time on DC...hey, a guy's gotta unwind sometime!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    I always hear of people breaking keys....not really sure how this happens on drumset/concert style drums.
    that's too bad man.
    what kind of evans key did you get?
    This key was pretty old. It broke two of the seams.

I got the Evans key thats magnetic. Pretty beefy too.

User Info Menu

Tabbed out a rough structure of a song a buddy wants me to record some drums for. It's gonna be a *****.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"

User Info Menu

Tapped out rudiments on my leg all day while watching monologues at State Drama Competition.

Do you tab your drum part or something else?

- Mapex Meridian Maple Studioease - Sabian Xs20 - Paiste Alpha -

User Info Menu

I tab out song parts and measures like A,A',B,A,A',B,C,A,A',B,B. And basically the number of measures in each section.

User Info Menu

Oh okay, so just form?

This may be a dumb question, but why? Is it necessary in a studio or something?

dave0549jv Guest

i played my plats for the first time in 5 weeks, and it felt good. i decided that im gonna need to spend some serious tuning time tomorrow though.

User Info Menu

Had four band practices today, practicing stuff from The Monkees to Faith No More to Dolly Parton to Lamb of God.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

2 combo rehearsals today. another tomorrow @ 8 am. busy week. gig on saturday. tomorrow i am also going to see the university of arizona percussion performance. should be a great time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by butter View Post
    Oh okay, so just form?

This may be a dumb question, but why? Is it necessary in a studio or something?
    It's mostly to have a guide in terms of when to fill, when to crash. I tend to listen for vocal "cues". And there are no vocals on the track. And I'm not good at remembering how many measures to count. If it ain't 12 bar blues, it aint standard.

User Info Menu

Kickport! On its way. I checked out one at a local drummers house and I am impressed. F/T

User Info Menu

I went to the drum shop and got another key. Then I replaced the top head on my snare. Sucker sounds GOOD!

User Info Menu

I had band practice (yesterday) and got a new splash. Feels good, man.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

I went and shot a couple of .357 magnums. Technically the hammer strike is percussive in nature... Then I went to services and listened to the band. They tried to throw in this sick klezmer latin hybrid groove in the last song. But the canter wasn't paying attention, and it kinda fell apart. But I had mad respect for the attempt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    It's mostly to have a guide in terms of when to fill, when to crash. I tend to listen for vocal "cues". And there are no vocals on the track. And I'm not good at remembering how many measures to count. If it ain't 12 bar blues, it aint standard.
    Oh okay! That's interesting. I hope to become a studio musician if I don't make it some other way in the music industry. It sounds like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    Kickport! On its way. I checked out one at a local drummers house and I am impressed. F/T
    I've been thinking about getting one of those. Let me know how you like it when you have played with it some.
    By the way, do you realize that there is a typo in your signature? or is it supposed to say that you play intors?

User Info Menu

nothing my breakables are still taking over a corner of the living room from my gig last wednesday
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

Tuned my toms and bass, replaced my old felt bottoms with 4" felts(really increased the preformance of the pies). Decided on the HHX power hats for a down the road purchase. F/T

User Info Menu

I broke a stick and I'm on a stick crisis ):
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

I helped tear down after church. I walked around the drums.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Had a 3 hour band practice.