Page 108 of 115 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 2859

Thread: So what drum related stuff did you do today?

User Info Menu

Default Re: So what drum related stuff did you do today?

I played my drums today after an almost 3 year hiatus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    I played my drums today after an almost 3 year hiatus.
    Welcome back!

User Info Menu

During the last seven years of recording drums with my bandmates in a home recording studio, I've always said the overhead mics were not in the best position to pick up the kit.

Mounting the mics to the ceiling rafters helped eliminate three additional boom stands on the floor but it left the overheads in a permanent position with no way of moving them closer or farther apart from each other if the kit changed.

Three cheap CAD95 series mics, two of which were always in the X-Y position were hung from the ceiling with the lines running up the wall behind the kit. Gravity worked against this set up throughout the years and all three mics began to droop towards the kit and often times were targets for my sticks.

It was an uphill battle to convince our "head" recording engineer that a change was needed. Change is hard to accept for some people but in this case, I spoke up loud and clear that the overheads were never given the priority they deserved.

It would take "hours" to resolve I was told, but in reality, it took 45 minutes to "fix". We walked away very happy as the result of the new change and there was no denying that the drums sound much cleaner now. Yesterday was a break through day for me.

User Info Menu

I compared my two Sabian rides, an HHX 20" Evolution Ride and an AAX 20" Dry ride. Our church band is playing at a benefit Saturday, so I want to use the best ride for that. The Evolution Ride won. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Completed my annual tear down, inspection and cleaning of my Catalina Maples. New heads top and bottom (G2 / G1) on the toms and also the snare (Evans ST Dry / Hazy 300). I'm still experimenting with snare tuning and snare wire.

User Info Menu

Exchanged some emails with a singer/guitar player who was looking for players. I'm hoping that this works out and I can end my 2 year hiatus. I think that it would be very good for my mental state to get back into a situation where I was playing with other people.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Posted more gear for sale. Negotiating several deals at the moment. Replying here. Trying to get stuff done at work.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Cool Re: So what drum related stuff did you do today?

As i do every week i play ,,i reset " the utility phrogge station" cuz every gig setup is differen ( am i usin "pizza box snare drum" ??/...am i usin "pearl staiNless steel snare on stand as floor tom" or hangin 16" rototom from 20" paiste pst 20" lite ride stand ?????...am i usin hauling suitcase as bassdrum or meinl bassbox or lp cowbell bassdrum .....???? Biggest question of all,,,will i have an "assnt" for teardown after show...or is my old green butt doin it 4 hrs later on my own???? Lol...
    Last edited by PHROGGE; 06-12-2019 at 02:57 PM.
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Unloaded the trailer and got the kit cleaned and set up, after saturday nights show.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

I went downstairs and checked to see if my drums were still there. They were.

So I fed them, gave them fresh water, then I went back upstairs and had some scotch.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I’m heading out with the ‘67 Ludwig kit today to jam with a guitar player and a bass player who posted a Craigslist ad needing drummer.

Haven’t set this kit up in over a year since I moved into a one bedroom apartment after my divorce.

I obviously can’t play the kit in my new place but I had to hunt for hardware and stands. I set everything up in the living room to make sure I’ve got everything I need.

No pressure audition for me since I’m doing this out of sheer boredom. I’m getting burned out playing in my other jam band (7 years) but as I was hauling out cases, I’m getting excited about putting myself out there again.

9B7A874C-B3E3-4082-9425-84266945C7BA.jpg
    D67194F5-572F-491F-ACF2-24C75089226F.jpg
    2968D1E0-AA9F-47E6-957F-B021DD388DD6.jpg

User Info Menu

Good luck, late!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Good luck, late!!
    Thanks drummerMD!

User Info Menu

Good luck late! I got on the new Pearls and ran through some of the book 66 Drum Fills. I noticed lately I was using the same old fills when playing, so I went and practiced some different feels/fills to try to retrain my brain.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

not that I need it... but I found a 15x13 hanging floor tom for my Yamaha Maple Custom in England and am negotiating shipping to the US to add to my Maple Monster!! The timing is bad and the price is kind of high but that won't stop me haha well until the wife finds out. But hopefully by then it's headed over seas!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Good luck late! I got on the new Pearls and ran through some of the book 66 Drum Fills. I noticed lately I was using the same old fills when playing, so I went and practiced some different feels/fills to try to retrain my brain.
    Thanks OldeEnglishD I too am stuck in a fill rut....great idea to hit the books.

Edit: I passed the audition.
    Last edited by late8; 07-01-2019 at 04:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks OldeEnglishD I too am stuck in a fill rut....great idea to hit the books.

Edit: I passed the audition.
    Like there would be any doubt. Congrats.

I shipped another snare drum today. My barn is starting to have echo.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks Mark!!
    You've earned it, Rich. No surprise here other than

I shipped the Blue Yammys today. Yeah, I'll probably talk about it in several threads.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I checked UPS tracking on the snare drum that I ordered on Friday. I think that I checked it 1,143 times...
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    not that I need it... but I found a 15x13 hanging floor tom for my Yamaha Maple Custom in England and am negotiating shipping to the US to add to my Maple Monster!! The timing is bad and the price is kind of high but that won't stop me haha well until the wife finds out. But hopefully by then it's headed over seas!
    I sit here knowing that on 1 of your "do it yourself" videos, your voice is going to be up in the Frankie Valli "Sherry" area. Kind of a soprano sound.

I will sit here with my scotch and will know exactly how that happened. Vice grips are wonderful tools when used the right way.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Listening to Michael Derosier's isolated drum track. Great feel.. drums sound good nice crack from his snare.

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Finally fixed my crappy Alesis DM10 Mesh Kit today. The connections I swear are made out of hairs, they are that thin. No wonder they break a lot! Good job I can solder hair.................

fullsizeoutput_10d8 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Sold this Gammon drum kit I "found" in the trash of someone moving. I had to replace the FT head and a swival nut in a lug.
    It was missing a knob adjustment on the throw off but sold it like that.

IMG_2170.jpg
    Last edited by Olimpass; 07-15-2019 at 07:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Went and played as a two piece "band". Guitarist/singer with a twelve string acoustic and me on kick, snare, hats, ride and a crash. It went over well.