Page 109 of 115 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 2859

Thread: So what drum related stuff did you do today?

User Info Menu

Default Re: So what drum related stuff did you do today?

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Went and played as a two piece "band". Guitarist/singer with a twelve string acoustic and me on kick, snare, hats, ride and a crash. It went over well.
    Rich, was this a gig, or are you still practicing together?

Eight years ago, a group of us pastors got together and formed a band, with me on the kit. Gradually, pastors were assigned to other churches, and we got down to me on the kit, and a singer/guitarist. We played a couple of years like that and it was still fun, and it got to where we could practically read each other's mind/movement to know where we were going in a song.

So what drum stuff have I done today? Well in between watching the grandkids, I'll continue working on getting boxes out of my room so that I can get the kit set up (in a small configuration). I've been about 6 weeks without playing now, and I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Rich, was this a gig, or are you still practicing together?

Eight years ago, a group of us pastors got together and formed a band, with me on the kit. Gradually, pastors were assigned to other churches, and we got down to me on the kit, and a singer/guitarist. We played a couple of years like that and it was still fun, and it got to where we could practically read each other's mind/movement to know where we were going in a song.

So what drum stuff have I done today? Well in between watching the grandkids, I'll continue working on getting boxes out of my room so that I can get the kit set up (in a small configuration). I've been about 6 weeks without playing now, and I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms.
    Hi Pastor Bob. This was a gig at a neighboring church that provided their sanctuary as a meeting place for "Celebrate Recovery" which is a faith based 12 step program to sobriety . We played a four song set from our Sunday service after which we sat and listened to a speaker give his account to his path to sobriety. It was a very uplifting event.
    Last edited by late8; 07-31-2019 at 10:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Swapped the reso to an Evans EQ3 with a Kickport to give kick some umph since it will not be mic’d for the gig coming up on Monday. I’d forgotten how well the Kickport helps the bottom end.

The Kickport has a known issue that the inside rubber gasket that holds the port in place against the inside of the reso slips loose during play which creates a rattle. Did a search and found this fix.

Used 5-6 rubber bands around the base of the gasket:

Last edited by late8; 08-01-2019 at 07:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Just put up my new Tama Imperialstar and plan to fine-tune today. I think I'm in love.

I play:

Drums & Hardware: DW.

Cymbals: Paiste.

Heads: Evans.

Sticks: Vic Firth and Pro Mark 5A, 7A.

User Info Menu

Changed the 2 up 1 down from 10, 12 to 12, 14.

Pro: Digging the 14 on top rather than having it down next to the 16 on previous set ups.

Con: Had to raise the throne to keep off the rim on the 14 and not much room below before it bottoms out on the kick.

Last edited by late8; 08-16-2019 at 11:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Restored this lovely. Pearl World Series (WLX) in Natural Matte Lacquer. Second one I have had in two weeks

9Y0A6453 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

^^Wow lovely finish!! Nicely done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    ^^Wow lovely finish!! Nicely done.
    Thank you. Such a lovely kit
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

I've been having issues with my left hand, loosing some flexibility with it. It was damaged in my motorcycle accident in 1991, it is sort of impressive that it has worked as well as it has all of these years.

I recently wrapped up long runs with two different bands. I'm focusing on improving my technique while I'm off. Part of this is figuring out how to work best with mobility that I have in my left hand. The practice pad is my friend.

The short answer is that my wife is out of the house today, going to a meet up with some friends. I'm catching up on laundry and sitting down with a practice pad between laundry loads. I practice daily, but when I have the house to myself it is easier to focus.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It isn't drum related but today I shipped a guitar I'd owned for 52 years.

Last month I sold my Rogers "Big R" drum throne that I'd had since 1976. Those were the two oldest pieces of gear I still owned.

Kind of a sad day...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Decided to restore my Premier 1036 Snare to go with my Projector kit

IMG_1238 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Decided to restore my Premier 1036 Snare to go with my Projector kit

IMG_1238 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    My eyes!!!!!

Warn a guy, huh?

I think I can see a reflection of the ocean.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Looks great Kevaruka.

User Info Menu

it's so shiny!

User Info Menu

Cheers all. Amazing what brute force & ignorance can achieve
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

I poured a glass of scotch, sat on my couch and looked at the Crystal Beats which are still in my living room.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I poured a glass of scotch, sat on my couch and looked at the Crystal Beats which are still in my living room.
    Like your style
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Went down and jammed on the Pearls for around 45 minutes. Tried to recreate a drum beat from one of my son's favorite hip hop artist song, figure I would get out of my comfort zone and find inspiration in a different form of music.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Set up my E-kit with my full PA facing me. Going to connect it up, power it up, crank it up and hopefully piss off the neighbors and have a Corona. Cheers, peeps.

Pictures available upon request.

Also posted a barely used Roc N Soc Drum throne seat only on Reverb for sale. Less than $100.00 gets it to your door.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    It isn't drum related but today I shipped a guitar I'd owned for 52 years.

Last month I sold my Rogers "Big R" drum throne that I'd had since 1976. Those were the two oldest pieces of gear I still owned.

Kind of a sad day...
    Actually I misinformed myself. I physically stumbled over the tripod for my Authentic Roto-toms that I still have since the 1970's. I still have old gear. I see them every time I'm in the drum palace but really never see them anymore. lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I haven’t played in awhile for two hours straight. Getting together with some friends, we did just that. There was a nice Pearl fiberglass drum kit and some beefy looking sticks to use. The sticks were great! At around the second hour, those sticks started feeling like logs and have lost my stamina. I hope playing more will get rid of that. Has this happened to anyone?

User Info Menu

^^^^ Happens to me on a regular basis. Last time I played a gig was almost a full year ago. And....it was only about 4 songs since we got rained out. The last full 4hr gig I played was in May of 2019.

Since then, I’ve only played for band practice about 2 or 3 times. Maybe 6hrs total. I’m not worried. After a few songs, the feeling comes back. 2 or 3 gigs and things always seem to be back to normal...but parts of my body that I forgot I had always hurt, LOL.

The last couple practices we’ve done acoustic and I’ve played my lap Cajon. I Highly recommend one of these to anyone that wants to have fun and looking for a good porch weapon! The array of sounds you can get are amazing and the tone quality is surprisingly robust. Plus, they’re much more comfortable than a traditional Cajon. Perfect to keep around for impromptu jam sessions or just for a change of pace!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

The Varukers.

User Info Menu

The Varukers.