Thread: help with some Matador bongo

ElectroKid Guest

Default help with some Matador bongo

Hi,

Glad to be a part of this helpful forum!

I need a bit help from you experts about a 2nd hand matador bongo I'm considering.
    The photo of it shows it has a 'button badge' on the hembra shell... Now I usually don't see this on other drums shells...

1) Can you please explain what is it, is it a better quality wood and when was it made.

2) Also I noted that Matador's bearing rims are preferable than the Gen II ones...
    Is that so, cause there's also a 2nd hand option of Gen II with comfort curve2 and it comes with Remo Fiberskyn3 skins (245$), the Matador is 80$ but comes with matador inferior skins...so which of the 2 should I go with ?

Thanks.

Last edited by ElectroKid; 11-02-2010 at 08:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: help with some Matador bongo

Hey, electrokid, welcome to DrumChat from one bongo player to another!

I think I can answer your questions about the bongos you're considering:

That "button badge" on the hembra shell of the Matadors in your picture is a sticker which is commonly used on LP bongos and congas of all types. If it's like the sticker on my Gen II's, it's merely a gummed foil sticker that has the phrase "Made in Thailand," where the vast majority of LP hand drums are made. It does NOT say anything about the wood. It won't hurt anything and you can leave it on or not depending on your preference.

As for the Gen II's, I have a set I purchased in 1992 that has the comfort curve rims and, IMHO, they're easier by far on your hands (especially if you play hard martillos near the rim or occasionally miss a rimshot!). Given the way the Remo FiberSkyn III heads feel and sound, if you have the extra bucks to invest, I'd go with them, man.

Matadors are good starter drums, but if you can afford it, you'll be happier with the Gen II's because they are built with sturdier material and can withstand the knocks that can tear up a less expensive set.

Good luck, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: help with some Matador bongo

Personally, I think the Matadors are the better bang for the buck. Aside from the slightly lighter duty hardware and the difference in skin, they are basically the exact same design. I prefer the traditional rims over comfort curve, but thats just me. In my opinion, LP does not put quality skin on ANY of their drums anymore, so regardless of which drum you choose, a new set of skins will be a huge sound upgrade.

Just a side note, $245 for a used set of Gen IIs is way over priced, they sell new for $10 more. I wouldn't go above $150-$175.

User Info Menu

Saludos, welcome to the forum Kid. Check Matador Custom Bongos which have Steel bottom hoops instead of the common cast iron found on regular Matadors. You can buy them for about $109. All black hardware.

User Info Menu

oye caballo, those matadors are pretty nice, i am feeling those steel bottoms, instead of the ugly thick cast iron they usually come with.

User Info Menu

Saludos Medina.Yes those custom Matadors are really atractive and with the right skins should do the job flawlessly. As I remember you was looking for some P.R artisans who made Bongos. Here you go.

Charlie Vega 787-830-3669
    Papo Del Valle 787-752-9083

User Info Menu

Ayy muchisimas gracias Caballo. Yes, I am interested in purchasing some bongos de la isla. After seeing some fotos of bongos that Valle has made, I'm not sure who to go with now. I really like the design of both but haven't been able to hear them in person yet.