Thread: Drums crackling noises

User Info Menu

Default Drums crackling noises

I have a set of LP gio galaxcys,new last february.From time to time different drums make a crackling sound for just a second.Usually it occurs when I am playing the drums. Today they starting making a few sounds when I was not playing them. It got very cold outside last night and the furnace was working to keep the house warm. What do you think is causing these crackleing sounds. I just called a friend and he said it might be a reaction to temperature and humidity changes. Do you agree? Can you comment on these sounds?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drums crackling noises

What ,no-one ever experienced their congas making wierd noises? Tell your tale! What is the cause for strange noises coming from congas?

User Info Menu

I think your friend was absolutely right.

Temperature and humidity changes can cause wood to expand in warm moist air and contract in cool dry air. You will probably notice the cracking and popping more now that it's starting to get cold again. Just going by what you said in your post, you picked them up in Feb. Which was right smack in the middle of winter so the drums already had gone through the autumn -> winter cycle. The winter-> spring-> summer cycle wouldn't really make your drums "pop" or "crack" like the are now as the wood would absorb the moisture in the air from the wetter months. But now that we're getting into late autumn and on the way into winter, you will notice those sounds.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You could also notice that the drums might sound different and might require you to tune them again.

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's temperature changes, that happens to my mate Simon's congas too.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Thank-you ,I'm relieved that I have nothing to worry about;WHEW!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Drums crackling noises

If your congas are making crackling and creaking noises when you aren't playing, it could be not only the shells, but also the skins re-seating themselves due to temperature and humidity changes. As Screwy suggested, you may need to retune (or detune) the congas to compensate for that; do so evenly, or you could tear the head or crack the shell.

Still, easy enough to do...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Thank-you