Thread: Leading with the weaker hand

User Info Menu

Question Leading with the weaker hand

Hello again DC, ive been thinking about trying to make my weaker hand much more dominant any tips? should i start leading with my left hand and just practice practice or do you guys know any routines which radically improve it? thanks in advance, im currently having my setup like travis orbin (no rack toms only 2 floor toms, each on one side) just so you know

User Info Menu

Default Re: Leading with the weaker hand

try this off the kit

all quarter notes to start with
    Lh is left hand then Lf is left foot

1 2 3 4
    Lh Lh Lh Lf

after a while change to 8ths

on the kit try playing open handed, left hand on the hats

User Info Menu

i always though about trying to use my left to make it stronger but idk lol might try it now since ppl are talking about it

User Info Menu

If you like doing percussion and drumset...try doing both, making your left hand work percussion like timbales, rototoms, octobans or small toms to the left of your hi-hat. I work on a pattern where my right hand goes off the hi-hat on the "2" and "4"....just as though you're playing alternating 16th's on the hi-hat (ie: like old school disco)...so then instead of having your left hand play the "1 e+ a, 2 e + a"....you let that now work on simple quarters, eighth notes and combinations and off beats until it sounds like you're accompanying yourself. It's a start, but it will at least pique your interest into ostinato and later into open hand playing once you've really started strengthening your left hand. Hope this helps.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

what is an effective and less boring way to practice.. cause i get frustrated at my left hands stupidity, like any beats that gradually improve the left arm without frustraten yourself
    should i play a simple 4/4 rock beat leading with left and trxy too keep time for as long as possible? sound good?

User Info Menu

The two things I do to improve my weaker less coordinated hand is 1) use a bigger heavier in the weak hand and a smaller lighter in my right. 2) I practice rudiments being sure to do twicw the amount of strokes with the weaker hand (example) RRRR LLLL LLLL RRRR LLLL LLLL RRRR LLLL LLLL or R LL R LL R LL R LL, or RR LLLL RR LLLL. I was taught this by a drumline instructor and it has improved my left hands ability to look less like a fool. All the best. F/T

User Info Menu

Can't go wrong with blast beats...

Jk, jk. Try leading a simple rock beat w/ your left hand in the HH or ride. It's harder than it looks and it reaalllly helps w/ coordination.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

thanks for the replies guys, i hope my stuppid left hand will have some improvements while doing some of these excercises

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IfSabianWasCheap View Post
    Hello again DC, ive been thinking about trying to make my weaker hand much more dominant any tips? should i start leading with my left hand and just practice practice or do you guys know any routines which radically improve it? thanks in advance, im currently having my setup like travis orbin (no rack toms only 2 floor toms, each on one side) just so you know
    You answered your own question..............

Practice, practice, practice will will rapidly increase anything drum related that you wish to learn.

There are no short-cuts, but if you keep practice sessions fun and dont let them end up being more like work or chores then success will be yours.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Bash your right arm off a door frame a few times, this will weaken your right hand and therefore it should closely match your left hand, hence no more frustration. Simple.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Im siggin that.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Stick Control for the Snare Drummer.

Follow the patterns at different tempos and you'll improve.

User Info Menu

Also try doing some of the everyday things in life that you normally do with your right hand eg. brushing your teeth, doing your shirt, placing your computer mouse on left side of the keyboard....try doing these left handed for a few weeks. You'd be surprised how all those small and large muscle movements make a difference when you go back to practicing your rudiments. Of course, there is no substitute to simply sitting down doing all your left-hand lead snare exercises, but try that little idea of other tasks left handed.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Learning open hand can help. And switching your kit to a left handed setup helps. You'll get the benefit of beefing up your left foot if you switch setups.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi