Thread: Pearl vs Tama ( lower end)

User Info Menu

Default Pearl vs Tama ( lower end)

Pearl Export ( or forum) vs Tama Rockstar or something else... (writers block) Also, how much does shipping cost for the average 5 piece used kit on GC?
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl vs Tama ( lower end)

Pearl Export were a very popular drum kit until it got replace by Vision 2 years ago. Don't know much about Tama just the name Rockstar sounds odd. It is up to you and the sound you want. Good luck

User Info Menu

The Tama rockstars and Imperialstars are really good for such a 'low-end' series. I've played one of them and they sound really good for that price
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by martinez12 View Post
    the tama rockstars and imperialstars are really good for such a 'low-end' series. I've played one of them and they sound really good for that price
    +1
    Matt

Larrysperf Guest

Of the 2 you have listed I would go with the pearl as hardware seems stronger. But if you have the CB700 why change. I would wait or go used and move up to a intermiadiate kit. Nothing wrong with set you have with good heads. But thats just my HO

User Info Menu

Go used and try and go up like Larry suggested. No sense to go laterially in my opinion. I have a '07 Pearl Export Custom 100% maple kit I bought new when Pearl was closing out the Export line.

I got a great deal but when I saw the hardware differences between the '07 Export Series (SST) verses '07 Session series (Optimount), the hunt was on to find a used Session kit. The '07 SMX (maple) and SBX (birch) kits came with the same hardware package (hoops, bass spurs, lugs and tension rods) as the more expensive MCX line but at a lesser cost.

The new Vision (VMX maple and VBX birch) line has a similar shell pack config as the old SBX line but they come standard with the rim mounted SST system which is far less superior to the Optimount system

User Info Menu

Thanks 4 all of your responses, so its ImperialStar or Pearl Export (or forum) OR upgrade the heads on the CB700....Hmmm. what kind of heads? which ones have low attack?
    I'm really trying to decide right now... what would be a good intermediate kit???
    Thanks!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Check into the PDP line also great sound at a great price and even better if you can find a deal on used ones

User Info Menu

Not really answering your question, so apologize for taking it off topic some, but.....
    Suggestion for you. Hit area Pawn Shops. Call around and see what ones have any drum stuff and then go look around.
    You can find some incredible deals.

I got my Tama Set for $50. 5 piece. All the hardware and heads were in great shape. Remo pinstripe heads.
    Drummer Chick

User Info Menu

Keep away from Pawn Shops cause I hate them bunch of rip offs. They live off drunks and Junkies and get evrything for next to nothing and sell it for double the price. Sometimes some of the stuff is hot so be carefull. Just a warning.

User Info Menu

WOW! That was incredibly rude.

Seriously. That is one of the myths perpetuated by the media for the most part. At least here in the US.

There are certainly some bad shops. Just like their are bad car dealers, Doctors, and Music salesmen.
    It's human nature that some people try to take advantage of others.

I still maintain Pawn Shops, here in the US are great places to find good deals. And they are also very heavily regulated, and pretty much the last place stolen stuff ends up in my State.

Sorry, but I had to reply to that statement.
    Drummer Chick

User Info Menu

I was going to star chanting Fight!,Fight!,Fight! but I'll resist the temptation.
    But yeah seriously, I'll check into some pawn shops, last time I checked they had a pearl set, reasonably priced, but out of my range (it was around $650) and the color was poopoo (to me). again, I'll check every now and then, BUT, I always take consideration when trying not to get anything that looks stolen, drums I imagine, would be hard to steal..Not to say I tried...Buuuuut anyways, I'm always wary when buying stuff, I'll try the pawn shops, but I'll remember that old phrase: buyer be ware.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    I was going to star chanting Fight!,Fight!,Fight! but I'll resist the temptation.
    But yeah seriously, I'll check into some pawn shops, last time I checked they had a pearl set, reasonably priced, but out of my range (it was around $650) and the color was poopoo (to me). again, I'll check every now and then, BUT, I always take consideration when trying not to get anything that looks stolen, drums I imagine, would be hard to steal..Not to say I tried...Buuuuut anyways, I'm always wary when buying stuff, I'll try the pawn shops, but I'll remember that old phrase: buyer be ware.
    Have a look at Daddys.com

User Info Menu

Buyer beware ANYWHERE!

Ebay, craigslist, pawn shops, music stores.

You are smart enough to do your homework.

You will only be taken advantage of if you let yourself be.

My set was $50 for a 5 piece set pawned. Again, great shape.

Hey, if the shop gave the guy $25 and they made $25, we all did good in the end.
    Drummer Chick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chewgravel219 View Post
    Buyer beware ANYWHERE!

Ebay, craigslist, pawn shops, music stores.

You are smart enough to do your homework.

You will only be taken advantage of if you let yourself be.

My set was $50 for a 5 piece set pawned. Again, great shape.

Hey, if the shop gave the guy $25 and they made $25, we all did good in the end.
    If your kit came with Remo pins, you got the drums for free. Hella good deal!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Pearl vs Tama ( lower end)

Quote Originally Posted by chewgravel219 View Post
    WOW! That was incredibly rude.

Seriously. That is one of the myths perpetuated by the media for the most part. At least here in the US.

There are certainly some bad shops. Just like their are bad car dealers, Doctors, and Music salesmen.
    It's human nature that some people try to take advantage of others.

I still maintain Pawn Shops, here in the US are great places to find good deals. And they are also very heavily regulated, and pretty much the last place stolen stuff ends up in my State.

Sorry, but I had to reply to that statement.
    I don't see what is rude about it. The truth hurts sometimes but I am just trying to educate people about Pawn shops that is all. If you want to shop there that is your choice cause I keep away from them.

User Info Menu

Bringing this thread back to topic, I agree with Larry. The price difference on used mid-level kits like Superstars, Catalinas, etc.... is more than worth it compared to stuff like Rockstars, etc... You are better off waiting if you can move up in to that price range.

Also +1 to Daddys, although their stock is limited. Local GC's tend to have more stuff, but can be priced higher. The trick is to get something they have had used on hand for a long time, since they will cut the price big time to get rid of it.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Used cymbals can save you huge money too. Look for the obvious signs of hairline cracks and keyhole issues around the hole. The going rate for trading quality pro cymbals is $2.00 USD an inch. Think about that the next time you shop for used cymbals. If someone traded in 20" ride that's about $40.00 USD the store "paid" for in trade. Figure the $2.00 an inch formula against the marked up price for a used cymbal and you'll know how much profit the store is making off of the sale.

example: 20" ride trade in value is: $40.00 ($2.00 x 20" = $40.00)
    store turns around and sells it for: $80.00 for 20" ride (used)
    store profit: double *(shop wisely)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I don't see what is rude about it. The truth hurts sometimes but I am just trying to educate people about Pawn shops that is all. If you want to shop there that is your choice cause I keep away from them.
    No offence but id say, please drop it and lets all forget it was said.

id say tama... but im a tama freak
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex