Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Racks, anyone?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Racks, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    I'm kicking around the idea of a rack. I've only got a 5-piece setup but my cymbal count keeps growing and it's becoming increasingly difficult to maneuver all the stands. The cost of a rack (and the subsequent clamps and booms that will be needed) is significant, though. It's been my main deterrent. I'm afraid of spending that kind of cash and not finding the rack comfortable.
    This is what I liked about this PDP rack I got. The corners are two cymbal holders, then it came with like 4 or 5 clamps, which took care of most of my cymbals. I also already had 3 or 4 extensions that I used with my old hardware. I basicaly robbed the top parts of all my cymbal stand and utilised them with the rack clamps. I was careful to not overtighten the rack clamps, they will bend the tube parts of the cymbal stands. So far I have'nt had issues with this or any of them slipping, but that does'nt mean someone elses playing style would'nt. The only gripe I have is that this rack's wings kind of sag at the ends under all the wieght of the cymbals, but I was told they sell legs and other extensions for this rack. I'll be looking into those sometime. Nothing moves or bounces while playing though.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    For the record, Kazaamski's New Usage dictionary defines crap such as
    Crap;noun- Anything which requires hauling to and from somewhere, not related to said value of the item being hauled. example: Cymbals, drums, hardware, furniture, tv's, other peoples furniture, and so forth.
    True That!!!!!

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    My time spent experimenting with a drum rack has taught me a vital lesson on space mangement. This has lead me to set up my entire double bass kit including a ekit that's graphed to the side of the double bass kit on a 8'x10' throw rug.

The piece of carpet that my kit is set up on pictured above is my template and I can judge if I have space in any venue by taking this particular piece of carpet with me if needed for survey's before a gig. If you note where the outer stands are, you'll see that I've used every inch of space on the 8'x10' carpet.

Anything smaller than a 5 pc kit, I'll use stands for the quick and easy set up. My advice to you is continue using your stands unless you feel a need to add more to your kit which may prompt you to move stuff around at which time you might find that you are lacking the floor space to put things where you want them.

For my personal taste, I like the look of a kit without a rack since it has a cleaner look but for me, buying a rack (3) was a need to expand my kit and I couldn't do it without one unless I compromise a comfortable set up.

First off.....Totaly sweeeet kit! Love red drums.

An for the record, I still was forced to use one of my extra cymbal stands until I can figure out how to stack cymbals.

I'm with you, I like the looks of a kit with no rack, but were talking basic kit, maybe 3 toms a bass, ride, couple crashes, a splash and hats.

I'd like to get a second kit and just make it basic and simple.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

Saw the pic of late8's kit. Somewhere on this planet there's a drum shortage and now I know who to blame.

User Info Menu

I'm kicking around the idea of a rack. I've only got a 5-piece setup but my cymbal count keeps growing and it's becoming increasingly difficult to maneuver all the stands. The cost of a rack (and the subsequent clamps and booms that will be needed) is significant, though. It's been my main deterrent. I'm afraid of spending that kind of cash and not finding the rack comfortable.
    It's worth it, for two reasons:

1) You can totally customize tom position, rather than being forced to mount them on the kick or attached to a cymbal stand.

2) If you have a lot of cymbals (I have 6 not counting the hats and getting more) then you won't find yourself fighting with the legs on stands.

3*) A steady boom arm and a clamp are cheaper than a good stand.

*Third reason, not necessarily a dealbreaker.

User Info Menu

I'm looking hard at this rack. Might ask for it as an x-mas gift from the Mrs.. Would this be compatible with a Tama set?

What kind of clamps do I buy for this? Also, will this meet my needs? I'd be looking to mount two toms, 8 cymbals, a jam block, and a cowbell on this sucker. The cymbals are:

1) 10" Splash
    2) 14" Crash
    3) 16" Crash
    4) 16" Crash #2
    5) 18" Crash
    6) 20" Ride
    7) 18" China
    8) 14" China
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

That's question requires an answer that is to long to answer on my phone, ill post when I get outta work, on what you'll need.

User Info Menu

Hi guys,
    So many options with a rack that I can't go back to stands. I knew I had to have a rack after seeing Scott Rockenfield with Queensryche back in the late 80's.

Here's a pic of my Sonor A2E Vdrum kit with an experimental rack setup. Cymbals hanging from the upper tier. I didn't leave it like this. I was just messing around with rack I had laying around. Again, so many options to play around with.

Premier Genista kit - (2) 16"x22" kicks, 8", 10", 12", 16", 18", 5" Brass piccolo - assortment of Sabian AA, AAX & HandHammered cymbals - Gibraltor rack - DW 5000 & 7000 pedals - DW 5000 cable hi-hat

Sonar A2E kit Force 2003 converted to Vdrums - Roland TDW-20 - Roland SPD-S

User Info Menu

I'm looking hard at this rack. Might ask for it as an x-mas gift from the Mrs.. Would this be compatible with a Tama set?

What kind of clamps do I buy for this? Also, will this meet my needs? I'd be looking to mount two toms, 8 cymbals, a jam block, and a cowbell on this sucker. The cymbals are:

1) 10" Splash
    2) 14" Crash
    3) 16" Crash
    4) 16" Crash #2
    5) 18" Crash
    6) 20" Ride
    7) 18" China
    8) 14" China
    That rack will work with any kit. The key is to get correct tom arms based on your kit.

I used that kit with DW's, TAMA, and Pearl. The only difference was I had to buy either Gibraltor or brand specific tom arms. DW were the thickest so I had to buy TAMA brand for their toms and since Pearl is all together different and don't use "L" arms on their MCX series I used their style of tom arm.

That is a very good rack, is made well and the chrome holds up to a tremendous amount of gigging wear and tear.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Here's a pix of my TAMA's on that rack.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Here's a pix of my TAMA's on that rack.
    Nice! I think I'm going to end up buying this rack. So what did you buy for the toms? Just this?

Would the clamp hold up the double-tom mount that usually goes in the bass drum? Or am I better off getting the single mounts, like above?
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

DLD, that 2-sided PDP rack is my rack too. Really a great rack. I got mine used, and it was in perfect shape.

To mount the toms, I actually used PDP rack clamps and L-arms.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    DLD, that 2-sided PDP rack is my rack too. Really a great rack. I got mine used, and it was in perfect shape.

I'm always blown away at how sweet your kit is Pastor Bob! Keep 'em coming!

User Info Menu

Thanks late8, that's really kind of you. Every time I look at it, I think about what a fortunate guy I am to have found drumming . . . and you guys!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Nice! I think I'm going to end up buying this rack. So what did you buy for the toms? Just this?

Would the clamp hold up the double-tom mount that usually goes in the bass drum? Or am I better off getting the single mounts, like above?
    Thread jackers. Sheeesh.

Those single mounts are perfect. Plus, they aren't that expensive and it then gives you complete control of how you lay out your kit.

I bought the independent mounts simply for convenience of location. If I have them spread apart a bit, I have room for a mic boom clamp to go between the toms.

As far as stability, I wouldn't mount both toms to one clamp on a round rack. I would on my Pearl Icon rack due to it being square, the clamp can't slip.

I will say no matter what I had on my PDP rack nothing ever slipped. It's well built, clamps and all.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I will say no matter what I had on my PDP rack nothing ever slipped. It's well built, clamps and all.
    And if you get the memory locks to go with the clamps, you can forget worrying about slippage.

User Info Menu

I've been using Gibraltor & Tama racks since 1985. I have never had a clamp slip on the pipe itself. I did have one gig that I ran into a problem. We played an outside gig under a tent this summer here in south Louisiana. It was 95+ degrees in the middle of July. The part of the Gibraltor clamp that holds the cymbal boom has a lil piece of rubber to help protect the chrome from getting scratched up. With the heat and humidity, that lil piece of rubber got softer and my cymbal boom would keep sliding down. Hand tight wouldn't fix it. I ended up having to use a cresent wrench on the wing nut to get it tight enough, which I was scared to break the wing nut of course. Other than that, I have never had any issues. The gear will last a very long time.
    Premier Genista kit - (2) 16"x22" kicks, 8", 10", 12", 16", 18", 5" Brass piccolo - assortment of Sabian AA, AAX & HandHammered cymbals - Gibraltor rack - DW 5000 & 7000 pedals - DW 5000 cable hi-hat

Sonar A2E kit Force 2003 converted to Vdrums - Roland TDW-20 - Roland SPD-S

User Info Menu

And if you get the memory locks to go with the clamps, you can forget worrying about slippage.
    I got locks with every clamp. I didn't know you didn't.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I got locks with every clamp. I didn't know you didn't.
    Exactly! Never leave home without them!

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Racks, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    For the record, Kazaamski's New Usage dictionary defines crap such as
    Crap;noun- Anything which requires hauling to and from somewhere, not related to said value of the item being hauled. example: Cymbals, drums, hardware, furniture, tv's, other peoples furniture, and so forth.
    lol
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

I bought a beautiful Gibraltar DB rack GRS-850db a couple of years ago - it is an awesome rack. I don't move my kit out of the drum room so I opted for the rack.......I have lots of cymbals and other drum stuff I've added here and there.......the rack is great. BUT, even though I really like it....it was just too much of a pain for me to take it down and set it up. I have a small Vintage kit and it's super fast to set up....using the classic cymbal stands - perfect!. So I took my rack into the local drum shop and they gave me a really good deal in exchange for some classic-type cymbals stands - Gibraltar Jazz Series with booms x4 and a couple of the very heavy duty posts for my Tri-Pod tom holders. That way I can attach two more cymbal arms to each of those & even use Grabber arms for extra toms, a cowbell & wood block. For me - that is the way to go.........Hybrid your kit for easy moving & take down. It works for me.
    The rack is nice but after taking it down.....even just to move it around the room - it was a little too much work for me with all the clamps and lining stuf up. Even with the memory locks you're always moving stuff around.

Just some thoughts from someone that has used both and even a mixture of both - as I do now.

This is/was the rack before I traded it in. I haven't got the Jazz Series stands yet..........maybe before Christmas.
    Gary

User Info Menu

I have been thinking, while shaving no less, that there must be a scientific way to determine the exact amount of drumming tomfoolery one must have in order to make a rack more efficient than stands.

This is something that perhaps I'd like to send in to Mythbusters.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    I have been thinking, while shaving no less, that there must be a scientific way to determine the exact amount of drumming tomfoolery one must have in order to make a rack more efficient than stands.

This is something that perhaps I'd like to send in to Mythbusters.
    LOL!!! @ the shaving...

I think there must be a mathmatically relational equation one could use to determine the numerical need for a rack.

For me, more than 3 cymbals and age greater than 40=rack.

For the rocket scientist...

3/40=rack

Your results may vary.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    Got this rack at G.C. this summer. Best $$$$ ever spent. It's a PDP rack. No clamp slipping issues, you can add to it, comes with or without the wing arms, but the wing arms are a big plus.

Nice kit, Jafo!
    (1) Pearl SSC Session Classic Birch 10-12-14-16-22
    Piano Black
    (2) Gretsch Cat. Cl. Jazz Mahogany-10-12-14-18-5
    Walnut Glaze
    (3) Sonor Select Force Maple-10-12-14-20-5.5
    Piano Black
    "Let's Hit It!"-Jeff Porcaro

User Info Menu

Pastor Bob,

Very nice kit and rack!
    (1) Pearl SSC Session Classic Birch 10-12-14-16-22
    Piano Black
    (2) Gretsch Cat. Cl. Jazz Mahogany-10-12-14-18-5
    Walnut Glaze
    (3) Sonor Select Force Maple-10-12-14-20-5.5
    Piano Black
    "Let's Hit It!"-Jeff Porcaro