Thread: Practice Sessions

User Info Menu

Default Practice Sessions

Being a new drummer, I'm not sure that I am utilizing my practice time effectively. I warm up for a bit, then I 'roll' around the kit- trying to get a handle on using ALL the drums, (6), & cymbals, (6). I practice 'paradiddles' for a bit, then I turn on the music & start to follow along. Although I am improving, I feel that it is at a slower rate than what I am capable of. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me improve quicker? I play along to mostly oldies, and my wife is pretty cool about letting me practice whenever I want. Thanks in advance to ALL-(Pimpdaddy Snowman).

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practice Sessions

Being a starter , if you're not doing so already , the sooner you're thinking in 4 , 8 and 12 bar phrases the better - get this embedded in your head early ( many popular tunes are laid out in this way ) and keeping your place within the music you're playing should , hopefully , be a breeze.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stanhandler View Post
    Being a starter , if you're not doing so already , the sooner you're thinking in 4 , 8 and 12 bar phrases the better - get this embedded in your head early ( many popular tunes are laid out in this way ) and keeping your place within the music you're playing should , hopefully , be a breeze.
    Excellent advice!

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board pd.

I think youre off to a good start with practice sessions mixing it up like that. Try adding in some music you dont typically listen to like some jazz, funk or country.

Just keep your sessions fun or practice time will become more of a chore and you will slowly lose interest.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Pick up a good book/video. I'd highly recommend Tommy Igoe's "Groove Essentials". He covers TONS of different genres and explains in detail how to play each of the 100 grooves he provides. It's the next best thing to private lessons.

User Info Menu

Learn rudiments. Learn Rudiments. Learn Rudiments. You can find every rudiment online and mousepads make great practice pads. Plus, there are also online metronomes. That's a win combination right there. Also, spending some time practicing on a pillow will do wonders for your chops. This isn't the most drumset specific advice, but it will really help out over all.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Just keep your sessions fun or practice time will become more of a chore and you will slowly lose interest.
    great advice gonefishin

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Practice Sessions

+1 on the practice fun -- and jammin' to a wide range of music will increase your versatility and give you some serious inspiration to boot!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

+ 1 on all the advise above.