Thread: Electronic Drum Monitoring

User Info Menu

Default Electronic Drum Monitoring

Hello all,

I've been playing drums for about 10 years now but I have always used acoustic sets. I've moved for grad school so tearfully sold my Mapex for a Roland TD-9 so I could still play in my apartment.
    My question for you learned e-drummers is what are the requirements for a good elec drum monitor. I was looking at the Kustom KPC210MP. It's a dual 10" powered monitor. Freq. range is a big deal with this, I know. This monitor's is 100Hz - 20kHz. It pushes out 100W and I know that's enough for me just to jam with my friends at the apartment (we don't play heavy stuff...either jazz or singer/songwriter stuff. Think Jason Mraz I guess). This is the cheapest solution I've found so let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Electronic Drum Monitoring

Welcome to Drum Chat AlkaFeltser!

Sorry to hear about the switch from acoustic, but I'm sure you'll have fun with the Roland. Unfortunately, you are going to give up a lot of low end with with the Kustom powered monitor you're thinking about. Even the Kustom KPC10MP will give you a better frequency response at 90Hz-20kHz, but even that won't give you what you need, especially coming off an acoustic kit. I think I would look for something with less output wattage, and a better frequency response.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome ! I got a used B-52 matrix and it works great !! It can also be used at small gigs for vocals,keys, ect check it out
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I have an Alesis Transactive mobile portable PA. It works fine for me and probably has enough volume to jam with your friends. It's also pretty small.

I play my TD-9 through it; my electric mando, and sometimes a guitar; I have other guitar amps: Fender Princeton, etc. I've used it for a couple of years with no issues.

The Alesis has an onboard battery pack that works for hours or you can plug it in. Lots of inputs for mike, instruments, and an iPod dock to jam with when your friends aren't around.

Street price is about $180.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input guys. Just for my curiosity...What's the requirement for the frequency range for a drum monitor (low and high-end). I don't want my kick to sound like doo doo so the low end is definitely more important. Is 75Hz acceptable. Thanks.

User Info Menu

bump

User Info Menu

Keyboard amp of some kind is your best bet likely. They are designed to handle all the frequencies quite well. Nice to have punchy lows, but not at the expense of crispy highs.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I don't know what 75Hz sounds like. I guess it would depend on the entire signal path: amp, signal processing and speaker (and where everything is positioned).

I do know the Alesis PA I described above has a bottom end of 70Hz. It sounds good to my ears and the range is pretty good when playing back my iPod thru it.

I also believe the more bottom end you have, the more likely it is you will annoy the others living in the apartment complex because you can't really damp the low end and it travels long distances even at lower volumes.