Thread: Best Ekit for live shows-Help!

User Info Menu

Default Best Ekit for live shows-Help!

Hello, I am new to Drumchat and electronic drums in general so bear with me. I am looking to start gigging with an electronic kit. I am currently in a band that plays a couple of times a month;so ease of setup/teardown is important as well as durability. I like the idea of having 4X tom pads plus a snare and kick but it would'nt be deal breaker if it were a standard 5 pc. kit as long as the pads were dual zoned. The kits I have been looking at are the Alesis DM10 studio/Roland TD4S/Yamaha DTXpress. My budjet is around $1000. The DM10 looks like it has everything I need but I worry about the durability of the rack. Maybe I could purchase an aftermarket rack for a couple hundred bucks? Some people say Roland are the best but is the TD4s good for playing out and my budjet. I think the Yamaha has only single zone toms.
    I don't know. Any and suggestions would be appreciated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best Ekit for live shows-Help!

have you played live shows on an acoustic kit?
    what is the bands pa like? stage monitors and FOH ?

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

How about a used
    Pearl E-Pro Live
    $2,999.00 new, but I'm sure you could find used cheaper..
    But yeah Roland TD's are really good, again, used it worth it!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

well live best e kit would be a higher end one but if you worry about tear down then you shouldn't play drums its part of being a musician and drummer thats why your gf or band mates gfs or friends are roadies if your worried about portability get a smaller kit a go type of kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    have you played live shows on an acoustic kit?
    what is the bands pa like? stage monitors and FOH ?
    Yes, I have been "playing out" on an acoustic set for the past 20 years. We use a full Pa with subs and everyone has there own stage monitor. My stage monitor is massive(2x 15" and a large horn). I am kind of a dumbass when it comes to PA's so I hope I answered your question. Our gigs are usually in medium sized clubs. Maybe 50-200 people. My main reasons for going electronic is to try something different and at the same time to downsize. I'm an old fart but I still love playing live. My plan is to sell one of my acoustic kits and purchase an ekit while keeping my other acoustic for the studio. Thanks.

User Info Menu

I think Tommy Igoe uses an old TD4 for the Lion King stage shows.

I have a TD-9sx and it seems pretty durable. Of course you can upgrade rack, clamps, etc with DW, Gibraltar, or other stuff (at least my Roland kit will accept it).

As for sound, will you be using the module or processing thru a PC/Mac?

I know there are aftermarket sound kits for the Roland; vex packs that create some very realistic sound kits.

I don't have any experience with the other kits you mentioned, but I played everything in GC and I went with the Roland.

I just watched this video and Tommy says it's an old (1991) TD7 kit

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ergzEsX33pA"]YouTube - Tommy Igoe plays V-Drums (part 1)[/ame]
    Last edited by jajo; 11-10-2010 at 07:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Headshredder View Post
    Hello, I am new to Drumchat and electronic drums in general so bear with me. I am looking to start gigging with an electronic kit. I am currently in a band that plays a couple of times a month;so ease of setup/teardown is important as well as durability. I like the idea of having 4X tom pads plus a snare and kick but it would'nt be deal breaker if it were a standard 5 pc. kit as long as the pads were dual zoned. The kits I have been looking at are the Alesis DM10 studio/Roland TD4S/Yamaha DTXpress. My budjet is around $1000. The DM10 looks like it has everything I need but I worry about the durability of the rack. Maybe I could purchase an aftermarket rack for a couple hundred bucks? Some people say Roland are the best but is the TD4s good for playing out and my budjet. I think the Yamaha has only single zone toms.
    I don't know. Any and suggestions would be appreciated.
    What have you got after all?

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat ! Let me just say , I really don't think for the budget you have there is anything you will be happy with even used. The module needs to be high end even if the pads aren't. I played a Roland TD-6 sxt and a Roland TD-10 out and the sounds are....well let's just say OK. I played some similar yamaha sets too and bout the same. Hate to say it but i really think it will take much more money to get a gigging set you will be happy with. Just don't want you to digin and not be happy. Hope this helps.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Welcome to drumchat ! Let me just say , I really don't think for the budget you have there is anything you will be happy with even used. The module needs to be high end even if the pads aren't. I played a Roland TD-6 sxt and a Roland TD-10 out and the sounds are....well let's just say OK. I played some similar yamaha sets too and bout the same. Hate to say it but i really think it will take much more money to get a gigging set you will be happy with. Just don't want you to digin and not be happy. Hope this helps.
    Have you played on that 599 yamaha electric drumset? I think it is a awesome
    electronic drumset that is under 1,000. I tried roland on different stores what I really like is the yamaha. Would be nice to get the biger brother the midrange
    the one that goes for 899.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Headshredder View Post
    Yes, I have been "playing out" on an acoustic set for the past 20 years. We use a full Pa with subs and everyone has there own stage monitor. My stage monitor is massive(2x 15" and a large horn). I am kind of a dumbass when it comes to PA's so I hope I answered your question. Our gigs are usually in medium sized clubs. Maybe 50-200 people. My main reasons for going electronic is to try something different and at the same time to downsize. I'm an old fart but I still love playing live. My plan is to sell one of my acoustic kits and purchase an ekit while keeping my other acoustic for the studio. Thanks.
    I'm kind of in the same boat. Did the club scene for years (Before kids, starting a biz, etc...). I've been kickin it around with some old band mates and am going electronic. Mainly because it's different and easier. I'm also hoping it"ll keep stage/practice volume down a little too. I plan on using a DTXpress IV Special. Haven't played with it live yet, tho.