Thread: What Tuning Should I Use For My Snare To Sound Less Resonant?

User Info Menu

Default What Tuning Should I Use For My Snare To Sound Less Resonant?

A snare sound kind of like in the video, but maybe a little less drastic.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NhJYa4J_48&feature=related"]YouTube - Incubus - Wish You Were Here[/ame]

I just need like general guidelines like:

Reso super low, batter high
    Reso super high, batter super low

Also, should I lean more toward muffled drum heads or unmuffled drum heads?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: What Tuning Should I Use For My Snare To Sound Less Resonant?

Sounds a lot like a muffled batter with both reso and batter tuned extremely tight. It'd be a shallow depth snare also. Definitely not over 5 inches deep. There's also possibly an effect on the snare to give extra reverb.

It seems as though Jose uses shallower depth drums, possibly short stacks, maybe FAST sizes with an inch or two cut off. Not sure though.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    Sounds a lot like a muffled batter with both reso and batter tuned extremely tight. It'd be a shallow depth snare also. Definitely not over 5 inches deep. There's also possibly an effect on the snare to give extra reverb.

It seems as though Jose uses shallower depth drums, possibly short stacks, maybe FAST sizes with an inch or two cut off. Not sure though.
    I think that you're on the right path Nechre. It definitely sounds like it's a very high tuned and shallow snare. You can't see the snare at all in the vid. It sounds very focused.

User Info Menu

If you go 0:09 seconds into the video, you can get a pretty good shot of his snare. It looks like a 5" deep maple DW. Definitely tuned high.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerd View Post
    if you go 0:09 seconds into the video, you can get a pretty good shot of his snare. It looks like a 5" deep maple dw. Definitely tuned high.
    +1

Definately a shallow 13" or 14" Dub tuned high and gated.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

ThePloughman Guest

Without the gate and compression, its never going to happen.

"Less Resonant" works great in a studio, or playing in your living room. Its a deathknell in the real world playing live.

A two ply head like a PS3, and a heavier weight snare side, will reduce your resonance.
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 11-09-2010 at 01:19 AM.

User Info Menu

The first issue of Modern Drummer I bought had Jose Pasillas on the. I remember him going on an on about Edge snare drums.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

what does "gated" mean? thanks

User Info Menu

Cool Tune!

User Info Menu

I found this explanation on-line from a home recording forum. It's better than I can do explaining it. I think the second part regarding the reverb is more of what Ploughman is refering too. Please correct me if I'm wrong Ploughman.

"When mic'ing various instuments you maybe don't want the mic to pick up other sounds - as an example, you don't want the tom mic's to pick up the sound of a guitar amp. So, you set a gate on the mic to only pick up sounds at a certain level. Again as an example, the tom mics will only "open up" when you hit the tom, creating a loud enough sound - any sounds below the level you set (such as the nearbye guitar amp) will not be picked up."

"You may also hear about "gated reverb" which is a creative use of a gate on a reverb sound to allow a fast "big" sound but eliminate the long "tail" of the reverb."

ThePloughman Guest

Drummer true that.