Thread: Snare Drum Height

User Info Menu

Default Snare Drum Height

I have a problem. I sit very high up, as high as my throne takes me, and whenever I hit my snare, I smack my leg too, and over time, that does its damage. Are you guys aware of any solutions that wouldn't involve me sitting lower? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Drum Height

Welcome to the forum, D00d.

Ummm... Raise your snare stand. Otherwise you could turn a bit or move back so that your leg isn't right underneath the place where your hand falls to hit the snare. You could also try tilting your drum, but I'm not sure that would help.

- Mapex Meridian Maple Studioease - Sabian Xs20 - Paiste Alpha -

User Info Menu

Move your snare stand up a little higher, if it can't go any higher, you can try tilting the snare away from you just like butters said. Kind of like how Jojo Mayer plays.

Or you could just move your seat down. I think it's most comfortable sitting at a position where the inside of your knee and the floor make around a 90% angle or a little more or less, I recommend you try that position.

User Info Menu

I agree, sitting too high or low is not good. I think low is worse... my hips start to hurt if I'm too low. I'm not aware of why sitting too high is considered wrong.

- Mapex Meridian Maple Studioease - Sabian Xs20 - Paiste Alpha -

User Info Menu

Thanks Butter I'll try that.

I dunno, sitting really high always just felt way more comfortable for me. I don't really prefer sitting in a regular, chair-type position for some reason. I have really long legs so that might be part of it, I'm not sure. But I'll be probably consider sitting lower if adjusting the height of the snare or tilting the drum doesn't work.

User Info Menu

This is something that you will have to play around with. Seat and snare height is the biggest issue. Tilting the drum is another but to a limit. So try it till you are comfortable and can play with ease without smacking your knees.

User Info Menu

I had a situation recently where my cell phone was in my left pocket and my left wrist kept brushing my pocket when I would do a roll starting from the left hand. It was most noticeable when playing with the match grip as opposed to the traditional grip. I just raised my snare slightly and lowered the throne slightly and it did the trick. I could have just removed the cell phone by I need the vibration when my wife calls.
    Drums:
    Gretsch Catalina Maple (2009 Ebony laquer with polished black hardware)

Cymbals:
    Zildjian K Custom Dry Complex 22" M/T Ride
    Zildjian K Custom Dry Complex II 20" Ride
    Zildjian 12" Avedis A Splash
    Zildjain Avedis 18" Crash
    Zildjain Avedis Hi-Hat Cymbals

User Info Menu

Here's a great question asked to Neil Peart by readers of Drum Magazine via email. This particular question was concerning throne and snare drum height. Since we can't link, here's the cut and paste from the June 2009 edition:

From Drum Magazine quote-

"My question is in regards to your rationale behind lowering your throne height over the last five years. Have you noticed greater ease playing, or any accompanying back problems commonly associated with a lower throne height?"

Jason Jecman
    Lisle, Illinois
    Rush fan since 1978

Neil- "In fact, I have never lowered my throne, just raised the drums around it. That began when I studied with Freddie Gruber in the ’90s. His teaching was largely about one’s physical approach to the drum set, and the major hardware change I made at that time was moving my throne back, to give a more natural physical approach to bass drum and cymbals.

I also raised my snare drum — a lot — so that its striking surface was at navel height, the center of gravity for the male body.

All of that has definitely worked for me, ergonomically, particularly in the all-important factor of avoiding injury. All motions of hands and feet, arms and legs, are now natural, and my back is arched evenly over the drums, without pain or strain.
    "

End quote-

User Info Menu

That was a great response from Neil Peart to Drum Magazine. Because it helps you understand the concept behind every drummer that sits behind a set of drums for a long period of time. Whether practicing or in the studio and it also give new drummers an idea of the proper way of sitting behind the kit without causing injuries. Neil Peart rules.

User Info Menu

Hi, m8's!

There's a set of 2 videos by a chap named **** Culley called "Secrets of the World's Greatest Drummer" and "More Secrets of the World's greatest Drummer". He's talking about Buddy Rich. There's an extensive part about ergonomic set up of the kit and some general rules about close spacing for economy of effort. The farther you have to reach, the longer it takes to get there and back and uses more energy.

Throne height so your legs angle down @ 45 degrees from the waist and snare height at belt level with a slight tilt away, not towards you. Think of the rebound direction of your sticks and it makes perfect sense. This caters to natural movement of legs and arms for ease and comfort. Remember to stay loose and relaxed---no muscle tension that uses up energy.

Due to long legs, I put my throne on a 17" x 17" wooden riser that achieves that leg angle. The rest just falls in place with the template marked on my gig carpet for the riser and bass spurs.

Hope that helps.

Strider