Thread: Craigslist Musicians

User Info Menu

Default Craigslist Musicians

I'm hoping to find some like minded / like talented musicians in my area to play some music with. Craigslist seems to be a popular place for musicians to network.

If you have posted to or responded to Craigslist musician ads I would be interested in hearing how it worked out for you. Are there pitfalls to be aware of?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Craigslist Musicians

I meet alot of musicians on there, It never hurts to just meet and say hey. overall its been good for me.

Cons) wasting time and energy, you never know who your really meeting, Most dont post #'s so you have to e mail and wait for a response.

Pros) It gets you meeting musicians in your area, Can be a rewarding experiance and a learning oppurtunity. Gets you a list of guys/gals down the road that might come together. I still play with 3 seperate bands that I met on CL(just jammin and hanging).

Like I said it never hurts to talk. F/T

User Info Menu

For a while, I was using CG's musician's section to look for people to fill in vacant spots in whatever band I was in at the time. I got plenty of response and even friended a few people on Facebook to incorporate them into my band's message thread (that's how we communicated at the time). Yet for some reason, nothing ever came of it. There was one guy who tried coming to a practice, but got stuck in major traffic and we weren't able to reschedule for some reason. After that, I had ads up advertising myself as an available drummer. I later found out that very little people check Craigslist for a drummer. I got lucky though. I eventually met my current band through a CG music ad. My point being is that you never know what or who you're gonna find. It sounds like you're not looking to form a whole band through this, which is a good move from my POV. If you're just looking for people to jam, you shouldn't have a problem finding a handful of people. My advice would be to put a phone number on your ad or in any email replies you might send out. I don't know about you guys, but I really prefer a one on one phone call to playing email tag with someone. Best of luck to you and keep us posted if you find
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

When I moved to Austin Tx a little over 4 yrs ago, I discovered CL. Austin is called the "Live Music Capital of the World". There are MANY "musicians" here, but it seems to be more quantity over quality. Don't get me wrong, I have met some really good musicians from CL, but I have had to weed out many wanna-be's and flakes... For example... they don't have an instrument... I show up for an audition and only one guy is there and he didn't have enough gas to go pick up the other guy who doesn't have a car (we are talking about folks 30+ here)... they don't call back... are more worried about how old you are and what you look like and it's a bonus if you really know how to play.

I recommend when dealing with CL, whether looking for musicians or selling stuff, create a separate junk email address strictly for CL. You never know who is on the other end. Don't post your phone # as digits (123-456-7890). If you do post, use a scheme like one too three-for-five-six, etc. There are many automated scammers that troll CL looking for private info. Don't reply to any short vague emails like "you still wanna jam", "more info please", "is item still available"... lot of automatic scammers/spammers out there...

Following these things, I have had pretty good luck with dealing with CL... It's like a bed of roses, you just have to watch out for the pr...err... thorns

User Info Menu

I am running an ad on CL now for a bassist. So far it's been very promising. I have 5 auditions set up for this week and a couple of more in the wings.

Here are my guidelines:

* Set up a unique e-mail address. Not only is that a layer of protection but it helps keep your tasks organized.
    * DO NOT POST A VISIBLE E-MAIL ADDRESS. Use the annonymous feature.
    * Do not post a phone number. Reply via e-mail if a response seems valid.
    * Understand that there are some peole who respond to anything remotely close to what THEY are looking for, even if they are not what YOU are looking for. Be honest and clear about your goals in placing the ad. No need for too much detail but don't leave out any basics.
    * Read other ads and see which ones put you off and which ones sound interesting and approachable.
    * Post at the right time. If you post too late at night, there is a good chance your ad will be buried by other ads by the time 5pm rolls around and people are getting home from work the next day.

Good luck.

User Info Menu

Also check out your local music store because they usually have a board hanging up with ads for the area.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Also check out your local music store because they usually have a board hanging up with ads for the area.
    This is the way to do it. We did the craiglist route and met the worse, unprofessional people that you could of met. If it works for you great, but good luck.

I believe the people on craiglist aren't as serious as music store visitors. I posted at two music stores, daddy's junky and guitar center and we just might have the bass were looking for!

=============

Gifts for Musicians

User Info Menu

I had a few auditions, but nothing really worthwhile. Mostly caught up with bands that are still grieving the loss of the person I was trying out for. I notice a lot of people that just want to talk about bands.

User Info Menu

I just returned from an audition with one of the respondents from my ad. Wow! This lady can sing and plays really well.She is definitely pro quality. In fact she played with the Runaways (Joan Jett, Lita Ford) back in the day. She has shared the stage with Jimmy Buffet.

Her voice is amazing too.

And she wants to join my band, even after hearing us play.

Go figure...

Check out her video on this page. http://www.shaaron.net/photo.htm

User Info Menu

Congrats xsabers! She's definitely got a Janis Joplin sound down pat.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!