Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions... New Drumset

User Info Menu

Default Suggestions... New Drumset

I'm thinking of a new kit, top of the line, 5 piece. Need suggestions and what you guys like. I've always been partial to maple wood so I'll start with that.

User Info Menu

Im partial to DW. maple all the way. What do you have now?
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

I've got an older Pearl drumset. 1985 Maple, lacquered, edges redone, rims system, internal triggers... They sing! Very resonant, easy to tune. I've just never been happy with the bass drum size (16 X 14) and I haven't had a new kit since then. It would be nice to own a brand-spankin' new kit with new hardware and all.

I'm not looking to replace my Pearls. I love 'em too much. But I would like to own a brand new kit. I've worked very hard on the drums through the years and I think it's way overdue. Just don't know if I want to go into debt. I also need a new car.

User Info Menu

Get the car!!!!! LOL, naw Bro, I have been all over the net looking at the drum companies, there are just soo many companies out there offering some sweet looking, (but I dont know how they sound), drums. But they are soo darn expensive!!!!!!

For the price of one of those sets, you can buy a car!!! But all in all, I guess if you can make a trip to a high end music shop, it might be well worth it. There is one here in NC, and they have Spaun, Orange County, Etc.

So, I guess until they are played, one will never know....LOL!!! Good luck in the hunt for some drums and a new car!!!!
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Orange County makes some real nice drums. They need more testimonials from name artists (other than punks or hard rockers) so the drum community can feel more comfortable laying down the dough. There is also truth drums. Real creative designs. And then of course some real nice custom drum finishes out there.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

I had a chance to beat on some Spaun drums at my local drum shop. They sounded very good. Bass drum had a great thump to it. They were a funky glow in the dark green color though......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    I've got an older Pearl drumset. 1985 Maple, lacquered, edges redone, rims system, internal triggers... They sing! Very resonant, easy to tune. I've just never been happy with the bass drum size (16 X 14) and I haven't had a new kit since then. It would be nice to own a brand-spankin' new kit with new hardware and all.

I'm not looking to replace my Pearls. I love 'em too much. But I would like to own a brand new kit. I've worked very hard on the drums through the years and I think it's way overdue. Just don't know if I want to go into debt. I also need a new car.
    16 x 14 bass drum ??? What did you do, tip over your floor tom ?
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

I belive Gretsch makes some nice Maple drums. I plan to get a maple gretsch set soon!!!

User Info Menu

Ive got a brand new Pearl set and it sounds OK,
    could really use a good tuning. Its only a Fourm series 5pc set,
    but for just jamin at home its all i need for now. Really nice set.
    DRUMS RULE.....

User Info Menu

A few years ago (maybe more than a few) Neil Peart was in the market for a new set. He had been playing Tama for years. Being the gazillionaire that he is, he was able to have almost every drum company under the sun set up "his set" all at the same time. He tried them all...one after another. As he narrowed the choices down, even he was suprised at his final choice...Ludwig.
    He had them painted white "with just a hint of pink", and all brass hardware. Not that any of this is remotely important...I found it interesting.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

User Info Menu

hey im new here. I just baught my first drum set today. It was a Pearl and i REALLY like it. Right now all i can do is bash it and try to make decent noise. But ya i like Pearl im happy with my choice

User Info Menu

good to hear....have fun

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by commi
    hey im new here. I just baught my first drum set today. It was a Pearl and i REALLY like it. Right now all i can do is bash it and try to make decent noise. But ya i like Pearl im happy with my choice
    I've played Pearls for 20 years...I love them !!!!
    Rock this town, rock it inside out !!!!
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

Mapex M is what I want. Maple shells, 6 pieces, all the hardware, 769. Not too bad for that, methinks.

User Info Menu

mapex pro-m or saturn

if you could afford an orion
    MAPEX - ZILDJIAN - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

im still partial to my ludwig...i would go ludwig...

User Info Menu

Ayotte's take the cake. easily the drumset i dream of when i sleep at night www.ayottedrums.com
    Last edited by porkpie420; 11-13-2006 at 11:01 PM.
    "Can't this wait 'til i'm old, can't I live while i'm young?"

User Info Menu

those are some sweet kits....how's the quality?

User Info Menu

amazing sound quality, love the lug system and some of the most beautiful craftmanship i've played... surpassed everyone of my expectations, they cost an arm and a leg tho
    "Can't this wait 'til i'm old, can't I live while i'm young?"

User Info Menu

that's what i figured....if i ever have the money i'm definatly going to invest in a custom kit like that

User Info Menu

I heard them live when i went to a David Crowder band concert.Those are what their drummer uses.Those things sounded awesome..

User Info Menu

Neil Peart plays DWs now. Has since 95, 96, i think....Test For Echo album.

User Info Menu

and Drummer? If you have the means, definitely go with a custom-shop kit. Ive had Ludwigs, Pearls, and Tamas as a kid...but nothing...and i mean NOTHING...compares to my DWs. Ayotte makes very nice drums as well, but DW has the whole package....timbre-matched shells, infinitely versatile hardware, and exceptional pedals...but they ARE damned expensive.

User Info Menu

* whispers to boo *
    they havent heard of pearl master series!!

im a BIG pearl fan...the masters kits ive seen have completely BLOWN my mind the one ive heard made my wanna go pawn my kit...but like everything else in the world they cost money.....lots of it
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit