Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Kits over the years.

User Info Menu

Default My Kits over the years.

Please don't take this as bragging. It's not.

I just wanted to show you guys that I do have some knowledge about kits and I'm not just making stuff up. Not that that has ever been said but I know I have pictures scattered all over and thought I'd put them all in one place.

Hope you enjoy. I'm going from earliest to most current. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my first kit. It was a Rogers 5 pc that turned into a Neil Peart sized monstrosity since my band at the time played several Rush songs, including 2112. That was originally purchased in 1976 and in 1995 I finally traded it in on ...

Ludwig, Rocker Elites.

At that same time I was on my 3rd E-kit. My first one was home made. The 2nd one was a Roland TM-5 kit. This was the 3rd.

After the Ludwigs came the PDP CX series. What I called my first jump to a more pro kit.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: My Kits over the years.

From there I went to Mapex M-Birch.

Then came the Renowns.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Then came the Saturns.

Blue and Red

Signature here

User Info Menu

At the same time I also acquired 3 more kits.

Ddrums...

Signature here

User Info Menu

Next came the 2nd round of PDP's. Platinums...

and finally the Tour Custom Yammy's

Signature here

User Info Menu

Then came the big guns...

DW's

TAMA Starclassic Bubinga

Signature here

User Info Menu

Finally....SONOR 3007's and Pearl MCX Masters.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Ok, so it looks like I'm the one who's gonna have to say it then.......you really suck Bish!! (just kidding mate). And I mean that from the bottom of my envious little heart!
    But seriously, that is probably the best collection of kits i've ever seen.
    How many of those kits do you still have bro? Because I was thinking you must have a garage the size of the White House mate!!
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

More Pearls and my practice kit....

I think that about covers it. If I've left any out I'll get back to you.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    Ok, so it looks like I'm the one who's gonna have to say it then.......you really suck Bish!! (just kidding mate). And I mean that from the bottom of my envious little heart!
    But seriously, that is probably the best collection of kits i've ever seen.
    How many of those kits do you still have bro? Because I was thinking you must have a garage the size of the White House mate!!
    LOL, it was a ton of fun to go through all those kits. The biggest problem most certainly was space. I ran out. Some kits had to go.

The ones that survived the cut were the Pearl MCX Masters and the practice kit.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Wow, this was a fun thread to go through! I can remember seeing most of the kits, with the exception of the earliest ones. I have played with the thought of a Saturn kit, and although it's probably a longshot right now, I still think about it. The only thing I'm not sure about is the general tone of the kit. Since I am a fan of the maple shell, and I really like my drums to sing in an open way, I wonder about the sound of the Saturns, and I have no place that I know of to hear a Saturn kit. Any thoughts Bish?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Wow, one heck of a collection! BEAUTIFUL KITS!!!

User Info Menu

WOW! Thanks for sharing! Jealous, needless to say. I would of had a hard time letting most of them go. I would of had to make more room some how. How long of a time frame are we talking here? Since 95'?

SD
    Last edited by Shannon D; 11-11-2010 at 10:24 PM.
    Premier Genista kit - (2) 16"x22" kicks, 8", 10", 12", 16", 18", 5" Brass piccolo - assortment of Sabian AA, AAX & HandHammered cymbals - Gibraltor rack - DW 5000 & 7000 pedals - DW 5000 cable hi-hat

Sonar A2E kit Force 2003 converted to Vdrums - Roland TDW-20 - Roland SPD-S

User Info Menu

Bish, that was amazing to say the least. You my friend have got to own and play some of the nicest kits on the market. So tell me something, it looks like the Pearl Masters have won out over the rest. Please tell me why and how you chose those to be the winners. Thank you. John

User Info Menu

Incredible Bish, what a cracking collection to go through.
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Mark, this thread is full of so much WIN I don't even know where to start!!!

Shame about those DWs though..
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Very nice kit's,absolutely love the blue saturns.What did you think of the pdp platinums?What model were the ddrums?What did you think of them?Just curious to how they stack up.I also noticed the wuhan hats on the pulse kit,wondering how they are I have heard good things about them.Was wondering your take on them.Thanks for posting
    Proudly playing
    TAMA Superstar Accel-Driver 5 piece
    Ddrum Dominion Maple 13x7 snare
    Remo Roto Tom's 6,8,10

Paiste 3000 14 Rude hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections medium 13 hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections 14 thin crash
    Paiste Alpha 16 medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 18 Medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 20 power ride
    Wuhan 12/18 china's

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the positive responses. It was way too much fun for just one person to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon D View Post
    WOW! Thanks for sharing! Jealous, needless to say. I would of had a hard time letting most of them go. I would of had to make more room some how. How long of a time frame are we talking here? Since 95'? SD

Yes, 95 is when I got the Luddy's. 2005 is when the turn-over started going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by john gerrard View Post
    Bish, that was amazing to say the least. You my friend have got to own and play some of the nicest kits on the market. So tell me something, it looks like the Pearl Masters have won out over the rest. Please tell me why and how you chose those to be the winners. Thank you. John
    The Pearls won due to the 2up/2down config, all the hardware (which IMHO is the best I have) and for the money the best sounding of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    Mark, this thread is full of so much WIN I don't even know where to start!!!

Shame about those DWs though..
    Yeah, that was tough letting go of the DW's but it was a monetary decision for them. Plus, I know who has them and I know they are loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Skimp241 View Post
    Very nice kit's,absolutely love the blue saturns.What did you think of the pdp platinums?What model were the ddrums?What did you think of them?Just curious to how they stack up.I also noticed the wuhan hats on the pulse kit,wondering how they are I have heard good things about them.Was wondering your take on them.Thanks for posting

I liked the Platinums but they were nothing more than any other maple kit. I just happened to be the first kid on the block with a set.

I used the Wuhans as my practice kit cymbals and they were perfect. I'd used them gigging but prefer my Sabians or Zildjians.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thats a nice looking 10x8 mcx tom you have in broze glass

haha seriously though dude all your kits were fantastic and you made a great choice keeping the pearls i saw you used aquarian tom heads in one pick howd you like them ? ive only had experience with the SK1 and 2 have you tried any of there coated heads if so hows the coating hold up ?
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    Thats a nice looking 10x8 mcx tom you have in broze glass

haha seriously though dude all your kits were fantastic and you made a great choice keeping the pearls i saw you used aquarian tom heads in one pick howd you like them ? ive only had experience with the SK1 and 2 have you tried any of there coated heads if so hows the coating hold up ?
    You want that tom-tom don't you, LOL.

I normally use SK-II's but on the DW's it came with an SK-I. The II was a little bit deeper in thud and most def more durable.

I haven't tried coated heads yet.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Wow, this was a fun thread to go through! I can remember seeing most of the kits, with the exception of the earliest ones. I have played with the thought of a Saturn kit, and although it's probably a longshot right now, I still think about it. The only thing I'm not sure about is the general tone of the kit. Since I am a fan of the maple shell, and I really like my drums to sing in an open way, I wonder about the sound of the Saturns, and I have no place that I know of to hear a Saturn kit. Any thoughts Bish?
    The maple/walnut is seriously awesome. The low end will make you stand up and take notice. But I know how much you like your kit and the sound quality is nothing short of excellent with the maple kit, as you probably know.

One thing, though, as with the Bubinga's, I found the Evans EC2 clears sounded the best.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skimp241 View Post
    What model were the ddrums?What did you think of them?Just curious to how they stack up.I also noticed the wuhan hats on the pulse kit,wondering how they are I have heard good things about them.Was wondering your take on them.Thanks for posting
    Sorry I missed the other questions. The DDrums were the pocket maple series. I gigged with them for 6 months straight and really like them. No hardware or finish failures during that time, like I know some people had heard about the cheapness of that brand. I can say they passed my gigging transporting test and the 20x22 bass drum was a thumper for its size.

I paid under $200 for the entire set of Wuhans including a bag. Couldn't go wrong there.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    You want that tom-tom don't you, LOL.

I normally use SK-II's but on the DW's it came with an SK-I. The II was a little bit deeper in thud and most def more durable.

I haven't tried coated heads yet.
    lol yeah just think about what I can do with 2 mounted toms Id be like the mexican thomas pridgen lol. hopefully I get a job soon so I can get the meinls first and than order the 10x8

Ive been meaning to try out aquarian around the kit just wanna know how long they are playable if that makes sense
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    Ive been meaning to try out aquarian around the kit just wanna know how long they are playable if that makes sense
    I have been using them for the past 5 years and have yet to break one. Matter of fact, I think I've only broken one drum head in the last 10 years and that was on my Mapex Black Panther and the head was at least 6 years old. I think it dried out.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

It's not often that someone has this level of exposure to so many kits. Money being no issue, purely from a sound perspective could you rank those from best to worst? For each kit how would you describe them if you were limited to 3 words?