Thread: Rhythm Tech active snare

User Info Menu

Default Rhythm Tech active snare

Does anyone here use the Rhythm tech active snare bridge? I'm just curious as to how it sounds compared to the standard snares. The dynasonic has a bridge, but comparing one legendary drum to anything else isn't fair.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rhythm Tech active snare

lol...I guess I just read your mind.....currently putting up pics in Photobucket. Here's my Rogers Dynasonic with the Rhythm Tech Active Snare.....done this in the early 90's (I've still kept my original Roger's snare system, it's in storage somewhere here)

I'll definitely say that you'll notice only a very slight difference between the two snare systems...if you do, then your ears must be really sharp lol. I still pull out the Rogers snare for recordings every now and then and engineers love it. Live, when I play a few rimshots the drum has that same Bruford/Copeland "cut". So I say try it out, you'll be surprised how well this Rhythm Tech Product works.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

ThePloughman Guest

I am not impressed by the RTASS. The concept behind the RT is to mimic performance of the Rogers Dynasonic or to act as a replacement bridge snare for a Dynasonic. I firmly believe it is capable of doing neither job efficiently. I have used one, both on a Dynasonic and on a conventional snare drum, and was not satisfied with the result. Maybe I was totally missing something as they have manufactured these for quite some time and continue to do so, there must be a market. But, I aint it.

User Info Menu

I use one on one of my maple snares. It allows the user to control the pressure that the snare wires have on the head without affecting the wire tension itself. In other words, I can have the unit looser to open up the drum while maintaining a constant tension on the wires. It definitely allows me to get sounds I wouldn't be able to under normal circumstances.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Rhythm Tech active snare

A+...
    For my Tama Artwood Maple 6.5 x 14, and original Camco maple 5.5 x 14, these snare beds are keepers. Independant from the much lower tension on the throw-off, and always crisp and dry (put like that it sounds like I'm playing toast..?). One has to be slightly careful placing the snare on the basket to not bang the frame around (but one should be careful anyway, perhaps..?)
    Not for all, maybe (I play a varied pop/rock and medium jazz repertoire...), but I shall be keeping them. They don't seem to wear out, so I don't know how often to change. Been on about 3 years now; no different from when new...
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

I have one on my Yamaha Stage Custom snare. I really like the effect it has on this drum (louder, more sensitive). Cool product.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    A+...
    Not for all, maybe (I play a varied pop/rock and medium jazz repertoire...), but I shall be keeping them. They don't seem to wear out, so I don't know how often to change. Been on about 3 years now; no different from when new...
    Have had mine on my Rogers for possibly 15+ years, so I'll vouch for their durability!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've had the same one for over 25 years gigging 3-4 nights per week up until a couple of years ago. Must have got through 30 snare heads in the same period so certainly good value for money. The sound difference is negligible (but that's just my view) but you don't have the problem of catching the odd wire and having to cut it off to stop buzzing and it always sounds OK. Bulk of the use was with Yamaha 9000 kit a variety of standard 6" wood shell snares but recently swapped it to vintage round badge Gretsch piccolo snare. Personally I think it sounds better on the thinner shell depth.