Thread: Online Tone Generator

User Info Menu

Default Online Tone Generator

After watching a Bob Gatzen tuning video I wanted something that could let me hear specific tones, but free So I found this online tone generator, one of several out there actually, that generates the key tones Gatzen tunes to. Check it out.

[Sorry, with the exception of paid advertisers, commercial links are not permitted. - Drummer]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38BeJ01DME8"]YouTube - Bob Gatzen - Snare Drum Tuning[/ame]
    Last edited by drummer; 11-13-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Commercial Link

User Info Menu

Default Re: Online Tone Generator

Mike, have you had any luck getting the sound that you're looking for from your snare?

User Info Menu

Hi DrummerD, thanks for asking.

Just so happens that I just finished tuning and EQ'ing the snare, big difference! I followed Gatzens video and used the online tone generator to keep the tone of my voice the same as I adjusted each lug. I made the reso slightly higher in pitch than the batter.

After that I applied what I had learned after watching and reading many EQ/Mixer video's and articles. I got a little better handle on Compression (even though my Yammi MG166 has a single 'one touch' Compression nob rather than the multiple compression parameters available) and adjusting the Hi/Mid/Low parameters. The other thing I did different was to adjust each mic individually for best snare sound. I have both the batter and reso mic'ed and then the two overheads. Combined and with a little reverb they make my snare really pop and sing!

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Great! Sounds like you've made progress. It's always nice when a plan comes together. It's taken me a very long time to get my snare(s) to sound the way I want them to. I owe a lot to mr. Gatzen and his vids! He's the man when it comes to tuning.