Thread: Staying in Place

User Info Menu

Unhappy Staying in Place

So I play a Roland TD-4 SX electronic kit (Sorry but you can't post commercial links on the Drum Chat forum. Bish )
    And I think it's a good kit for what I need, but I have an issue.
    My snare won't stay in place.
    I have all of the clamps tightened just about as hard as I can manage, but no matter what I do, when I hit the snare it starts to rotate around the bar. (It's rotating around the arm to which the clamp attaches. Essentially pushing against my left leg, and starting to point towards the ground. Hopefully you see what I'm saying.)
    What do I do to make it stop? Any advice? Do I need to buy a new clamp or something like that?

Short version of that: My snare won't stop moving. What do I do?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Staying in Place

I have a TD-9. But, the snare looks like the same model and it mounts to a rod that is knurled.

I have no idea because mine is solid as a rock.

Maybe take a picture of the clamp and rod and post it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Voluptuous Narwhal View Post
    So I play a Roland TD-4 SX electronic kit.

My snare won't stay in place.
    I have all of the clamps tightened just about as hard as I can manage, but no matter what I do, when I hit the snare it starts to rotate around the bar. (It's rotating around the arm to which the clamp attaches. Essentially pushing against my left leg, and starting to point towards the ground. Hopefully you see what I'm saying.)
    What do I do to make it stop? Any advice? Do I need to buy a new clamp or something like that?

Short version of that: My snare won't stop moving. What do I do?
    It might help to post pictures of YOUR kit. I would venture a guess if you are using plastic clamps, you have one with a tiny stress crack that is going to get worse.

For now, to test the theory, swap that clamp with one that doesn't have as much stress on it and see if the clamp holds better.

Of course (and I'm not judging you) if you are hitting the drums hard, that's a no-no and twice as bad with electronic kits than acoustic. Electronic kits require finesse not raw power.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Might be stripped, so i'd check it against the other ones. Replacement might be a good idea if it's confirmed that is the cause. If you know or think you're a harder hitter, you might want to invest in a stronger drum rack with metallic bars such as a Gibraltar or Pearl. Just my two cents.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

First off, sorry about the link, Bish. I thought I was safe seeing as I avoided musicians friend and the like.

So I took a bit of the advice you all gave me, and here were my conclusions:

The were no stress cracks on the clamp.
    The clamp was not overly worn, and therefore changing it for another did nothing.

However while I was checking to see if it was stripped or something like that, I came to the awful realization that it is attached to a smooth metal bar, and the inside of the clamp is smooth plastic. Which, when it comes to creating friction and staying in place, causes pretty bad failure.

Maybe I can find a new clamp? I don't think I need a new rack because the one I have is sturdy enough, and I have to stay as compact as possible for college. So unless any of you guys have some ideas for (as IAmNotATable would say) Ghetto-rigging it, I'll just have to look into a new clamp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Electronic kits require finesse not raw power.
    You don't have no power with an e kit and u dont get no stinking sounds.
    end of story.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Could you not put something like an inner-tube on the inside of the clamp? this wouldn't be noticeable, be cheap, and could stop it from slipping . . . . .

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGoodwin View Post
    Could you not put something like an inner-tube on the inside of the clamp? this wouldn't be noticeable, be cheap, and could stop it from slipping . . . . .
    +1

Duct tape or black gaffer's tape perhaps? I'd go with the gaffer's since it has a texture to it.

Check out Gibralter's catalog too to see if there might be a memory lock that can hold that clamp in place.

A last idea (and kind of a drastic one that might get me flamed) might be to drill a hole through the clamp and bar at a point on the top that is big enough to allow you to put a nail or some sort of sturdy piece of metal through the hole to alliviate the slipping.

User Info Menu

Swap out the L rod for one with a textured surface. They are inexpensive and it seems like a proper fix for your issue.