Thread: what heads are best

User Info Menu

Default what heads are best

I just picked up a set of older pacific lx series drums(all maple). The heads that are on ther are single ply heads. I was wondering what heads would give me more bottom end tones with a good ring.

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: what heads are best

Try a Evans G1

User Info Menu

If you want to try 2 plies go for the G2's or EC2's. Leave reso at single ply G1 or EC1.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Try a Evans G1
    I 2nd that. I use them on all of my resonant tom heads and use Remo coated Ambasadors as the batters.
    Drums:
    Gretsch Catalina Maple (2009 Ebony laquer with polished black hardware)

Cymbals:
    Zildjian K Custom Dry Complex 22" M/T Ride
    Zildjian K Custom Dry Complex II 20" Ride
    Zildjian 12" Avedis A Splash
    Zildjain Avedis 18" Crash
    Zildjain Avedis Hi-Hat Cymbals

User Info Menu

2 ply heads like the G2 or Emperors will enhance the bottom end more than a single ply G1 head. I would check out the Remo and Evans web site to see what you favorite players are using. To me it sounds like Emperors over Ambassadors or G2 over G1 might be a good combo for what you describe.

User Info Menu

Remo pins come to mind.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

heads are very personal choices. it depends on what kind of a sound you want, and what you think will sound good. i always say start with coated 2-ply over clear single ply and then experiment from there. G2 over G1 or Emperor over Ambassador, as has been stated already, would be a good starting point.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

I started with Remo Ambassadors on both batters and reso. Then I went to Evans G2's over Amabassadors. Now I am on EC2's over ambassadors. I am looking at changing the Ambassadors to EC1 on the reso. Forgot to mention these are all clear heads not into the coated heads yet. Experimenting is the only way to find the sound you are looking for.

User Info Menu

I have come across so many different opinions with heads. It's all a personal opinion on sound, look, and brand. I prefer a coated Remo (currently a Weatherking) on my snare(s), Evans G2s on the toms, and an Aquarian on the bass but I haven't been to GC to get one. Right now, my bass has a Remo Powerstroke on it which is fine too. But, our advice really isn't gonna help you. It's all about what you like. I've had many people disagree with what I have on my set currently but I like my head choices and that's all that matters. As long as they are tuned right and sound good then you are ready to go
    “Going out and playing music - that's what I do. I don't do much else.”- Dave Grohl

<3---------------------------------------------------------------------------<3
    It goes a little like this: ~Pearl~Remo~Evans~PDP~Vater~Sabian~Zildjian~

User Info Menu

As others have stated this is a very subjective issue. I am currently using EC2 coated over G1's on my Renowns and EC2 coated over Genera Resonants on my Noble & Cooley CD Maples, both with Die Cast hoops. The EC2 over G1 does result in a more pronouced bottom end with same tuning as on the EC2 over Genera using a Drum Dial. It will still come down to you ear and what you are looking for.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Any head properly tuned will sound good. Best is too subjective when it comes to drum heads, some people want a lot of sustain and tone, others want less sustain, etc..

You say you want good bottom end with some ring. Coated G2's from Evans or Coated Emperors from Remo would be a good idea. These heads would give you plenty of low end, while still sounding very resonant.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Remo pins come to mind.
    Clear Pins all the way!
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave