Thread: Beater head question

User Info Menu

Post Beater head question

What is the best way to preserve the beater head? I do not have money for a protection pad or whatever pad. What I was thinking was putting some duct tape on the beater head and putting an X (still duct tape) where the beater head hits. Will this prolong the life of my beater head or will it just make my drumset look ugly?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Beater head question

The action you speak of usually does not achieve positive results.
    The duct tape wears out quickly and then you are left with a gooey mess!
    If you REALLY need to use something to stick on your beater-side head, I would recommend MYLAR TAPE. It is fairly thin and strong as it is primarily used to shipping purposes. I had to repair a top ply of a kick head once in a pinch and this stuff worked great. Did it a couple years ago and the head is still living--barely, but it works to hit.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Take an old head, cut a square out of it and use your duct tape to hold it on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    This.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Ideally this creates a second ply. The only downside is that there will be a gap between the to plies as the additional taped-on ply has no tension such as a second ply on a 2-ply drumhead. The gap between the taped-on ply and the drumhead will interfere with the natural action of a drumhead and reduce sound quality.
    If you decide to use an old drumhead head, find a way to adhere the mylar to the intact drumhead. This will ensure that the additional piece moves in unison with the drumhead.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    Ideally this creates a second ply. The only downside is that there will be a gap between the to plies as the additional taped-on ply has no tension such as a second ply on a 2-ply drumhead. The gap between the taped-on ply and the drumhead will interfere with the natural action of a drumhead and reduce sound quality.
    If you decide to use an old drumhead head, find a way to adhere the mylar to the intact drumhead. This will ensure that the additional piece moves in unison with the drumhead.
    I would suggest some spray adhesive that you buy at hobby and craft stores rather than tape to apply the extra mylar ply to the head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post

You will never hear the difference.