Thread: Newbie Intro

User Info Menu

Default Newbie Intro

Good Afternoon y Buenas Tardes,
    I'm hanging on the Pacific in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico, 2 hours south of San Diego.

About to jump into drumming. Did 2 years of rudiment work many years ago and played rock on a Pearl kit. My music taste is eclectic, but, I enjoy straight ahead jazz. Jeff Hamilton is my favorite drummer.

90 day goal is to see what I can re-learn and if I'm up to discipline with just sticks and a pad. When I've completed that step, I'm planning on buying an electronic kit like Yam DTX550K for recording and small gigs. If something near that quality comes up less than $1K, I might jump in sooner.

1. What drumming resources would you recommend in San Diego area for hardware and instruction?
    2. I see lots of online lessons via your site. What 1 or 2 books, videos or online tools would you recommend?

I'll continue my reading here in attempt to catch up to you veterans.

Thanks for feedback, pestering me and the information in this forum.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Newbie Intro

como estas Bajadock, welcome to DC! you will gain lots of good quality information here, but as for SanDiego info...sorry can't help. I do remember Ensenada from long ago..is that gorilla still hanging outside a building in down town? and as far as the real drums goes...good things happen to those that wait...your time will come for the right deal..sit back and.....
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat Baja. You've picked a good site to become a member. I'm sure there'll be some advice concerning the SoCal drum connection, I live north of you near Lodi in the San Joaquin Valley so I can't offer too much help in those regards.

Two years of rudiment work, then you must be familar with Stick Control? That would be my first recommendation if you're not familar with the title.

Jeff's a great drummer and thanks for sharing your favorite. It may lead others to better guide you on your quest to get back into drumming.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAFcx231_W4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAFcx231_W4[/ame]

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat, bajadock.

I'm curious...is there such a thing as a dock in the baja?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Marty, the gorilla is still here.
    Late8, yes on Stick Control. Will purchase sticks and pad this week during my trip to San Diego Thursday.
    Bish, there are docks and my boat hangs in the Cruiseport Marina in downtown Ensenada. Here is a photo of my back "yard" kayaking spot:

Thanks for welcomes and will advise on progress.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board baja and dont worry about catchin up to the older dudes...........they usually hang around and wait.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat bajadock! I have to say that you have an awesome backyard!

A couple of videos I would recommend are:

Dave Weckl's A Natural Evolution: How to Develop Technique
    Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials

Agian, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Oh yeah.......way nice back yard.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Oh yeah.......way nice back yard.
    +1

Makes me want to take up kayaking...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bajadock View Post
    Marty, the gorilla is still here.
    Late8, yes on Stick Control. Will purchase sticks and pad this week during my trip to San Diego Thursday.
    Bish, there are docks and my boat hangs in the Cruiseport Marina in downtown Ensenada. Here is a photo of my back "yard" kayaking spot:

Thanks for welcomes and will advise on progress.
    Oh how I yearn to be back near warm blue waters and clear skies! Thanks for the pic!

User Info Menu

Default Shopping for kit

Deal: I'll send photos of today's 72F blue skies in exchange for your drumming expertise. Here is my front yard:

I've been scouring craigslist San Diego and Orange County.
    I am considering an acoustic set and using some muting or swapping mesh heads. My closest neighbor is 100 meters.

My reading summary on electronic v. acoustic(this forum and vdrums forum):
    1. E-drums are a different instrument with different bounce & feedback. Seems only high end($3K USD) has gig quality sound.
    2. A-drums' downside is practice noise and portability. I can handle the portability.

$1,000 is my initial budget plan.

Please pile on...Thanks, Doc in Ensenada

User Info Menu

Buenas tardes, mi hermano tamborero! Bienvenidos a DrumChat!

Good afternoon, my brother drummer! Welcome to DrumChat!

Must admit I could see myself playin' bongos in the sunshine on that dock in Ensenada (especially since the Midwest can get chilly and damp during the winter!)

Our bro's in Southern California have already given you some great ideas, and there are more to come!

Mantengas el ritmo!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Questions-

Acoustic kit plans-$1000 USD cover just the drums? What about cymbals, hardware and cases?

If yes, $1000 won't go far unless you go used.

Example:

New shell pack- $699-$899 (mid line)
    Cymbals- new (Pro level)
    Hats-$300-$325+
    Ride 20" $225-$300+
    Crash 16" $170-$185+
    stands-$50-$75 each

Ekit- $1000 USD Include speakers, amps or PA?

You can piece things together:

My used DTxpressIII module- $150
    My used DTXpressIV v.2 pad set $540 (hi hat stand and pads only)
    New rack Giabraltar V-Rack starter- $299

New: (for my Drum PA use only)

Peavey XR8600 (8 channel PA) $625
    Peavey PR115 (2x monitors 15") $219 each
    Peavey PV115 with horn (2x 15" FOH) $219 each
    Peavey PV118 Subs (2x) $219 each
    Berhringer 1500 amp- $299
    234dbx crossover- $135

Drum mics- Audix 5pc. (3 tom mics 1 kick and 1 HH) $565-$656
    Shure beta 57 (2x) $99 each
    AKG T170 small condenser overhead $160
    Mic cables- XLR- 25' (3x) $25 each 20' (5x) $18.00 each
    mic stands- boom (3x) $20.00 each, kick drum mic stands (2x) $20 each

With this minimum amount of gear, I can mic a 5 piece acoustic kit (5 drums, hh and ride and one overhead) total of 8 mics with 8 inputs at PA or provide 7mics for vocals and one remaining input at PA head for my ekit.

User Info Menu

Late8,
    Thanks for sharing your setups.

Yes, I was not clear on my budget. $1,000 is my fuzzy budget for a complete kit now. If I go acoustic, I do know that snare, cymbals and hardware are the quality priorities.

Just picked up sticks and a Vater double-sided chop-builder pad yesterday. Added Dr. Beat metronome, thanks to "David" at Guitar Center La Mesa, 91942.

Was flam paradiddling last night for first time in decades.

As I learn more and scour craigslist, I'll start a new post on my search and progress.

I am investing time reading here. Congrats to all of you for providing such a solid resource forum.

Doc

User Info Menu

welcome bajadock! do you like dockers? anywayz, *hack* I personally recommend the book Fundamental Snare Drum studies, and A Funky Primer For The Rock Drummer. I'm using them, along with an instructor teaching me them, but the funky Primer is really good if your starting out like me. Again, welcome, and beware of the monkey with a flamethrower hiding in your dockers. Let me know if you find him, he has his ways of getting around, kinda like the flu.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

kris finney Guest

Ok, start with how to grip the sticks, i recommend starting with match grip or you can go further and take more time to learn to play with traditional grip which to me, if better if you want to get around the kit fluently, to my knowledge you can play strokes a little faster too with traditional grip assuming you practice TONS of other stuff before that, stick control ,dynamics, sticking methods,fills,independence rhythms, note groupings, rudiments (if you don't already learn them doing anything else that involves playing)

then start learning to hit the drum whilst keeping your hands fingers and wrists approximately in the same position, play the drum at a medium dynamic ,and note that depending on where/how you hit the drum and how hard you hit it, you get different timbres.

then after messing about a bit to get you off the ground, start playing beats in a order of timing, so the beats should be the same (approximate) space apart, if its not good to start, don't worry you will be better at timing so long as you let yourself, keep practicing playing a 4/4 beat on the snare drum using both hands in different orders, here's 3 to name some examples

L,L,L,L (R,R,R,R)
    R,R,L,L
    L,R,L,R

these are key to learning wrist motion and timing as you need to change hands and still keep the timing, playing every beat of the bar (beat 1,2,3, and 4)

after you practice and practice, you should get better, after that you need to put your feet in the equation , keeping time with your feet (yes both of them), also please note that you feet go on the PEDALS, i've seen loads of people sit at the kit with their feet on the floor, unless you KNOW that you can get back into the rhythm while keeping time then your feet should cover the pedals the whole time you playing.

also note in timing with the hands and feet, this includes rests not just notes!