Thread: Drum Head Advice?

User Info Menu

Default Drum Head Advice?

What is the difference between Remo Coated Emperors and Coated Powerstroke 3? I want to use them as my batter head on all my toms with a Clear Ambassador on the bottom. Which one would make my toms sound more massive?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Head Advice?

Powerstroke 3s have a built in dampening system, a thin ring on the underside of the head. It's similar to putting a dampening ring on the top of your drum head. Remember that PS3 are single ply. It will already have shorter sustain than a 2 ply head, the dampening ring shortens it further.

Emperors are 2 ply heads, no dampening. If you want your drums to sound "massive" this would be your head as two ply heads give more sustain. You can get some weird overtones if tuned incorrectly, and you don't have built in dampening to help control them. If you know what you're doing, these can give a huge sound. Tune medium low and get a bunch of low end, tune high and get a singing pitch.

I'm biased, I use Emperors. While I currently have coated heads on my drums (which damps the head a little of course) and have used the black suede heads in the past, I prefer the clear Emps. Try out some heads if you can while at the shop. Hopefully some demo kits will have multiple types of Emperors, but that depends on the shop you go to.

Good luck.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

I agree with Nechre on the 2 ply heads. I use Evans G2's and EC2's, they are Equal to Remos Emperors or Pinstripes. The 2 ply will bring out that open warm sound of your toms believe me. Good luck.

User Info Menu

How come when I hit my couple months old Remo Emperors, there is this weird sound like a lug is like buzzing or something like that? It's like this weird buzz or rattle that only comes when I hit them.

I put my Remo Emperors on the batter side of all my toms. When I hit my resonant side of the toms (Remo Diplomat, that I will be soon replacing with Clear Remo Ambassadors) the buzz doesn't come up. The buzz is coming from the upper two toms and ONLY COMES OUT when I tune my Remo Emperors (batter) kind of high.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blaque1002 View Post
    Which one would make my toms sound more massive?
    In my experience, Evans G2's, clear.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I use the powerstroke 3 heads( clear ) check out my video to hear what the sound like live I hope it helps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leeman_36 View Post
    I use the powerstroke 3 heads( clear ) check out my video to hear what the sound like live I hope it helps
    Link?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

in the drum videos section the Mercy and Grace old time religion forum

User Info Menu

How come when I hit my couple months old Remo Emperors, there is this weird sound like a lug is like buzzing or something like that? It's like this weird buzz or rattle that only comes when I hit them.

I put my Remo Emperors on the batter side of all my toms. When I hit my resonant side of the toms (Remo Diplomat, that I will be soon replacing with Clear Remo Ambassadors) the buzz doesn't come up. The buzz is coming from the upper two toms and ONLY COMES OUT when I tune my Remo Emperors (batter) kind of high.
    Maybe some sympathetic snare buzz?
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Maybe some sympathetic snare buzz?
    did you check to see if the tiny washers under lugs are tight as well? could be a possiblity..or something between wood rim and head...sounds like it has to be something not tight!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I have experienced this before on my toms. The only solution that I have found is to tune both the batter and resonant heads on your toms to the same pitch.
    The drums!
    Tama Starclassic Birch 5 piece
    14x6.5 Brass Pork Pie big black snare
    12",14" DDrum Deccabons
    Batter- Aquarian Response 2 coated
    Reso- Aquarian Classic Coated

The Cymbals!
    17" Paiste 2002 Wild Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Power Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    14" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi hats
    10" Wuhan Splash
    16" Wuhan China

User Info Menu

Do yourself a favor and also look into the Evans Hydraulic Glass... 2 ply awesome deep tone. Since I started using those I've been sold, I haven't even considered anything else anymore.
    • Crush Limited Reserve Wenge
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals
    • Crush, DW, Pork Pie, Trick Snares
    • MAY Sennheiser, Audio Technica Internal Mics
    • Gibraltar 9600 hardware
    • Protection Racket/RoadRunner Touring cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamadrummer1242 View Post
    I have experienced this before on my toms. The only solution that I have found is to tune both the batter and resonant heads on your toms to the same pitch.
    I took off the batter head and it turns out that when I hit the resonant head while tuning, it still makes that buzzing sound. The lugs are all firmly in place and all the lugs are in tune, I don't know if it is the heads or not, because the sound is metallic, like from the drum hardware. Do you think changing heads will fix the problem? My drums are 5 years old and they are Ludwig Accent CS.

User Info Menu

Ok, try this:
    Take the drum off, bring it into another room, hit the drum. If it still makes the buzzing, double check all the screws. Let me know if it works, because I have more advice if it doesn't.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Something is definatly loose in there somewhere. It could be something so obvious that it is overlooked. Check every screw head all inside the shell etc.

User Info Menu

is it a metallic buzz? or more of a grrrr sound. Could be a worn out head. THey sometimes "growl" or buzz when really worn out
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi