Thread: New Alesis DM7

User Info Menu

Default New Alesis DM7

Firstly, I'd like to say hi to you all as I'm new here.

So I have had a few drum lessons and I'm really enjoying it. Been doing a bit of research into e-drum kits and I eventually ended up here by a stroke of luck.

I've read through a lot of posts about good beginner sets. I have a limited budget and as much as I want to I can't afford a Yamaha DTXpress IV Special or a Roland TD4KX.

I had my eye on a Yamaha DTX Explorer and I also liked the Roland HD1 but it has no MIDI out? Now I noticed the Alesis DM7 is due out very soon and it seems exceptional value for money with features such as chokable crashes, triple zone snares and usb.

I was wondering what people's thoughts on the DM7 regarding the features you get for the price compared to a DTX Explorer and also Alesis general quality compared with Yamaha before I order.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Alesis DM7

Welcome to Drum Chat vanderbale!

I confess that I just don't know enough about e-kits to be of any help, but there are others here that will be happy to help. I'm sure they'll be along soon.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks pastor_bob

User Info Menu

On paper the DM7 certainly sounds impressive for the money. Not having actually seen one however, I can't say whether or not it's actually any good. From my experience with other Alesis sets I will say that their hardware tends to be a little on the crappy side. I hate everything on their sets; the racks, the pads, the cymbals. They all suck. The modules, however, can be pretty good (DM5 and DM10, specifically). The pictures of the DM7 set shows some different hardware so I can't say whether these are any better or worse than the normal junk that Alesis supplies.

As for the quality of the DTXplorer, it's absolutely excellent. The kit comes completely assembled (you just need to unfold it) and can be refolded for easy storage. The pads are durable and accurate. It's really a great little kit. In the e-kit game, Yamaha makes some of the best stuff (better than Roland, in my opinion, and Roland is regarded as king by many).

Looking at specs it seems like the DM7 module is going to be better than the DTXplorer module. You get nearly double the sounds and nearly triple the amount of kits. However, I wouldn't bet on the Alesis hardware being anywhere near as good as Yamaha.

Some other things to think about:
    - The choke feature is cool on the cymbals. DM7 offers it, DTXplorer does not. However, I have choke on my DTX550 and I can't remember ever using it during actual play; only during testing. I guess it depends on your play style. But, for me, this feature wouldn't make or break my decision.
    - The DM7 kit has a 3-zone snare. The DTXplorer does not have a 3-zone snare out of the box but it can be upgraded. You'll have to set aside an additional $100 for that, though.

It's going to be a tough choice, my friend, because the DM7 looks interesting. I can vouch for the DTXplorer as a quality kit but I don't even know of anyone who has a DM7 yet, so I can only speculate. If you end up buying one, be sure to come back and write us up a full review with lots of pictures.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Hi Vanderbale. Welcome to the forum.

I chose an e-kit because it would allow me to play and practice without worrying too much about disturbing others.

They also have a nice variety of sounds, and a number of setup options.

I think the DM7 looks like a great starting point for someone looking to get into drumming.

I have a Roland TD-9, but I can't say I'd recommend the HD1 because of the limitations on placement of pads, kick, etc, and lack of expansion options. But, if space is an issue and learning is a priority, then it's not a bad option.

I liked what I read about the DM7's recording feature. And, looking at the kit, all you'll need is a throne, some sticks, and headphones to get started playing.

The only Alesis gear I have is a PA, and I really like it. But, I've never played their drum kits.

I guess the bottom line is this...your first kit should facilitate learning how to play the drums, and all of those you mentioned will do that. Remember, if you enjoy playing drums it won't be your last kit.